User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
ManRacks.com 1-855-GR8-RACK Suzuki TU Racks

Here are Some prototypes that Andy and I have been working on, Please Feel free to join in if you have some input
Nothing ready for sale yet , just a peek at what we got cookin for the TU

Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
TU250X rack

Looks like a really good quality product but...
Please don't be afraid to make us a rack for over the tail-light because of some idiot that might overload it and make the handling unstable. (how much would a 25lbs max sticker add to production costs to limit your liability?)(even if the rack COULD hold 100lbs)

The TU is a great commuter and it'd be a shame to limit its usefulness by not being able to take a passenger with us on short trips. A top box mounted over the tail-light on a rack would be a perfect addition to this bike.
F.W.I.W. When I first set my TU up with a top-box over where the rear seat went, I found swinging my leg over crap located there to be a real chore. (so I removed it and went to saddle bags) I doubt many guys are thinking that far ahead in regards to how mounting gear on an over fender rack will affect getting on the bike.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Looks like a really good quality product but...
Please don't be afraid to make us a rack for over the tail-light because of some idiot that might overload it and make the handling unstable. (how much would a 25lbs max sticker add to production costs to limit your liability?)(even if the rack COULD hold 100lbs)

The TU is a great commuter and it'd be a shame to limit its usefulness by not being able to take a passenger with us on short trips. A top box mounted over the tail-light on a rack would be a perfect addition to this bike.
F.W.I.W. When I first set my TU up with a top-box over where the rear seat went, I found swinging my leg over crap located there to be a real chore. (so I removed it and went to saddle bags) I doubt many guys are thinking that far ahead in regards to how mounting gear on an over fender rack will affect getting on the bike.
Thanks for stopping by to comment on the TU rack, Understood
does anybody know why you can get the over the tail light rack anymore, I am thinking its too far back there and not safe , Structurally ,I could be wrong , The TU is a street bike and wont have to endure the ups and downs like the dual sports , so it doesn't have to be as strong , but you just cant cantilever 25 LBs 14 inches off the back of the bike
it will fail , say you put 10 pounds on the over the tail light , everything is cool until you hit a pot hole or something
that 10 pounds becomes 100 LBS for a second then it goes back up with the same 100LBS of inertia ,thats what causes rack failure, at this point i dont see a safe way to do that type of rack , maybe we could do a rack that you can put the pad on top of the rack, Mike
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
Thanks for stopping by to comment on the TU rack, Understood
does anybody know why you can get the over the tail light rack anymore, I am thinking its too far back there and not safe , Structurally ,I could be wrong , The TU is a street bike and wont have to endure the ups and downs like the dual sports , so it doesn't have to be as strong , but you just cant cantilever 25 LBs 14 inches off the back of the bike
it will fail , say you put 10 pounds on the over the tail light , everything is cool until you hit a pot hole or something
that 10 pounds becomes 100 LBS for a second then it goes back up with the same 100LBS of inertia ,thats what causes rack failure, at this point i dont see a safe way to do that type of rack , maybe we could do a rack that you can put the pad on top of the rack, Mike
F.W.I.W. Way back when, when people had brains in their heads and didn't overload racks, Bikes like Suzukis little GN250 had racks like this....

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=gn250...1t:429,r:1,s:0

...that mounted over the tail-light and they never had any problems.
They bolted to the bikes main rear frame rails/shock towers.

another example...

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=gn250...78&tx=62&ty=45
I'm not so sure but, I don't think physics has changed much since then. (meant with a sense of humor!)

What I'm not really getting about the whole rack over rear seat (in place of the seat) is why bother buying a rack at all in that case since the gear can be strapped in place directly to the frame rails?

As is, I still want to thank you for looking into even making a rack for our TU's at all.

rivercreep screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 05:14 PM
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
F.W.I.W. Way back when, when people had brains in their heads and didn't overload racks, Bikes like Suzukis little GN250 had racks like this....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130504157550

...that mounted over the tail-light and they never had any problems.
They bolted to the bikes main rear frame rails/shock towers.

I'm not so sure but, I don't think physics has changed much since then. (meant with a sense of humor!)

What I'm not really getting about the whole rack over rear seat (in place of the seat) is why bother buying a rack at all in that case since the gear can be strapped in place directly to the frame rails?

As is, I still want to thank you for looking into even making a rack for our TU's at all.
I guess its the dirt biker in me , wanting to go camping with a tent and a cooler on the rack , and no passengers , let them get there own bike , this will be our first street rack , maybe ill get it pretty soon I wish i could get my hands on one for a weekend i am in northern cali
Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
I guess its the dirt biker in me , wanting to go camping with a tent and a cooler on the rack , and no passengers , let them get there own bike , this will be our first street rack , maybe ill get it pretty soon I wish i could get my hands on one for a weekend i am in northern cali
This is Michael Brats Honda XRL he just got back from a around USA trip the rack survived but he broke his his sub frame and had to find a welding shop
This is what we are use to building, so it does happen , but its different with the TU, we gotta go slow here
so be patient ok and we will get it right , but safety is the first goal

jungleplant screwed with this post 02-04-2012 at 04:19 PM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Moto13
Riding to Relax

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Here are Some prototypes that Andy and I have been working on, Please Feel free to join in if you have some input

The first rack is nice, but I'd add a third bar near the seat (across) so that items can be store/tightened down near the seat also. Those extra 'winglets' on the sides look good to load more stuff for a longer period of time!

I love this second one here. It fits perfectly on the motorcycle and is not 'too much.' It works for everyday items such as backpacks, a duffel bag, grocery bag, etc. Two things would make that rack perfect (though it's great as is). The first (simple) is to add a 'pin' or bracket for easier attaching of bungie or whatever right near the seat (one on each end). The second would be if the very back of the rack was more rounded (mimicking the shape of the bar right under it). This second one's asking too much i'm sure, but the first could be easily done.

Honestly, I'm just giving feedeback. I really like that second rack. The second rack might be nice with just bars (as in the top rack) across instead of flattened bars. It would have more of a classic look I think. It's all good. Can't wait to see finished product/pricing.

Thanks for taking the time to build these, take pics and feedback.
Moto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto13 View Post
The first rack is nice, but I'd add a third bar near the seat (across) so that items can be store/tightened down near the seat also. Those extra 'winglets' on the sides look good to load more stuff for a longer period of time!

I love this second one here. It fits perfectly on the motorcycle and is not 'too much.' It works for everyday items such as backpacks, a duffel bag, grocery bag, etc. Two things would make that rack perfect (though it's great as is). The first (simple) is to add a 'pin' or bracket for easier attaching of bungie or whatever right near the seat (one on each end). The second would be if the very back of the rack was more rounded (mimicking the shape of the bar right under it). This second one's asking too much i'm sure, but the first could be easily done.

Honestly, I'm just giving feedeback. I really like that second rack. The second rack might be nice with just bars (as in the top rack) across instead of flattened bars. It would have more of a classic look I think. It's all good. Can't wait to see finished product/pricing.

Thanks for taking the time to build these, take pics and feedback.
Hi thanks for jumping in
as long legged Andy had earlier said he needs to sit back a bit, so that's why we are playing with the front cross tube and yes the final design will have what we call bungie loops and a rounded back end , All good point and understood, This design allows us to do custom shapes for a lot of different needs, which is what we like to offer, thanks again, mike
Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Moto13
Riding to Relax

Quote:
Hi thanks for jumping in
as long legged Andy had earlier said he needs to sit back a bit, so that's why we are playing with the front cross tube and yes the final design will have what we call bungie loops and a rounded back end , All good point and understood, This design allows us to do custom shapes for a lot of different needs, which is what we like to offer, thanks again, mike
Awesome! Can't wait to see the final product!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 493
They both look great. My preference would to extend it a few inches back to the taillight. This looks strong a hell too. Hopefully you will ship to Canada when the design is complete?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNbiker View Post
They both look great. My preference would to extend it a few inches back to the taillight. This looks strong a hell too. Hopefully you will ship to Canada when the design is complete?
sure no problem we ship a lot of rack up there already , just waiting on andy
Old 02-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Svein-Olav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I would love to have a rack looking similar to the following, that would fit as a replacement for the grabrail on my -95 TU250 Volty.

http://www.motomag.com/local/cache-v...u007-7aa85.jpg

1995 BMW F650 Funduro
Svein-Olav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

We Designed this one for andy

Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

ManRacks TU 250 Rear TailLight rack

Thanks everybody for the interest in the new rack
We will be making two versions to start with, The Fender Rack and the Tail Light rack, our first offering is the tail Light Rack $149.00........

With Free shipping for fellow inmates USPS Priority To USA
Thanks Andy and Jim for helping us develop this racks for the the Suzuki TU250.

Suzuki TU250 Tail Light Rack Final version

The Suzuki Tu250 Fender Rack Final Version

jungleplant screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 08:34 PM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #15
Moto13
Riding to Relax

Love the new racks! Was just going to ask for an update (thanks for the PM).
When I went to your website it had some pics before actually entering the website.
The rack over the passenger seat position in the pic is a previous version of the rack I think.
Any way to post a quick pick here of what the final version looks like on the TU so I can drool a little more often?
Thanks.

GREAT JOB!

ps. I have to say that the over-the-tailight rack looks very sharp as well... VERY classic looking.