User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
zippymon
Life is good

Oddometer: 126
leaving end of October

We're heading down and hope to be in Porto Bello around Christmas for the sail over to Columbia, dr650 and transalp. Going to Ushuia, 4-5 mo total. Zippy
zippymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyChicken View Post
The more I read about people heading south of the border the more interested I am in joining along. What kind of time frame do people normally spend on trips like this?

I had always been hesitant to ride down into Mexico and CA alone, but I think i would feel a lot more comfortable riding it the first time with another person or people.
Well, I have taken 10-12 days (including drive time from Denver) to do a quicker Copper Canyon ride down into Mexico, but I am planning on taking a few months to head further south. I do agree that it sounds fun to travel with someone for at least portions of a trip, but so far all of mine have been solo.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
I'm figuring on 9 to 10 months from Nova Scotia to TDF and back, the final length depends on how the weather is at home when I'm heading back

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996

Slowphil screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 05:14 PM
Slowphil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Anrem
Strom08

Oddometer: 11
Totally agreed Phill!! The weather here in calgary can get crappy in april or may when i plan to be back.. maybe ill stay longer as well!! Hope the winter is looooonngg and cooold back here in canada while we cruise south!!!
Anrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
514Advrider
Addicted

Oddometer: 73
Heading down to TDF from Montreal beginning of October this year. I have no fixed schedule, but I'm hoping to be on the road for 5-6 months. I'll be solo on a DR 650, or riding with a friend on a DR 650 as well. It depends on whether he returns on time from his UN mission in Haiti. Subscribing to this thread, I would definetely like to meet up with other advriders on the road, and possibly ride some stretches together.
514Advrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anrem View Post
Totally agreed Phill!! The weather here in calgary can get crappy in april or may when i plan to be back.. maybe ill stay longer as well!! Hope the winter is looooonngg and cooold back here in canada while we cruise south!!!

Post up again here or Horizons unlimited closer to August, I have 1st Aug planted in my brain for leaving hoping to be in Mexico about 2 weeks later. Sounds like we have about the same schedule, I'm riding a Weestrom as well.

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 AM   #22
FateMaker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
:d

It's still 7-8 months away but you guys are getting me excited!!! "I almost feel like riverdancing."

Projected blast off is anywhere from the week of 10OCT (also my birthday week, and when I'll be returning back from Belgium/France craziness) until 1NOV.
FateMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
I am heading out mid-July from San Francisco, although I'm doing 2-3 months in the US so I won't hit the border until October sometime. Hope to see you on the road
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #24
AmericaMoto
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Wink In Buenos Aires!

Hi guys!
reading your thread from Buenos Aires as its been 7 months since I left Calgary, AB with my family.. Keeps your dreams alive and we might meet as we're headed north again...
should be in Cartagena/ Panama area in June then back in Alberta by the end of August to go back working... boohoo.. Anybody please let me know what they know about riding in the Guyanas ( Guyana-Surinam-Fr. Guyana)
Cheers, Jay
AmericaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #25
Section8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I've had to reschedule to an October/November departure date from Central Alberta. I'm looking at Costa Rica as my destination with wanting to do Copper Canyon along the way. I'll have to haul my GS to a southern drop off point as at that time of year I won't be able to do the return trip this far north on two wheels. I have about a three month window of time. I'll be watching and posting later in the summer for a riding partner(s) but this may be a good start, Robert.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,665
Quark Expeditions have excellent trips to Antarctica. World leader in their field of expeditions/adventures.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #27
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
I'm about to finish my time with the military and was thinking of taking a long vacation with money saved up from deployments. The plan is to spend the summer doing a southbound hike of the AT and then head south from Georigia for S. America in the begining of November. When is the best time to ride in TDF? Is March too late?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
I'm about to finish my time with the military and was thinking of taking a long vacation with money saved up from deployments. The plan is to spend the summer doing a southbound hike of the AT and then head south from Georigia for S. America in the begining of November. When is the best time to ride in TDF? Is March too late?
You can ride in March, even tough the best time to ride in TDF is during January.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Followingthesun
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm planning on leaving next spring from Minneapolis, wish I could leave earlier! Good to see some other Minnesotans are going, keep us updated!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #30
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 389
SA November

I plan to leave in November. Dr650. Ride down, take 2 weeks spanish in Antigua, sail the gap, Fritz the Cat? Be gone....4 months? How is rainy season in Cusco? Be good to have company that speaks better spanish than me. Cheaper to split cost of motels. Not in a hurry. May ship back to states.