User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Ogribike OP
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,801
Houston Bound

I'm leaving the Blue Ridge of Virginia and heading to Houston, work related.

So I'm wondering if anyone in the Houston area can recommend a good realtor and decent areas to live. The office is located near the Galleria so I know any reasonable priced place with a little land and at least a two car garage will be a bit of a commute. I'm single so I don't need a giant castle. I also would like to avoid housing communities.

I was wondering about the northwest area. But would consider all.

I should be in Houston from 9 to 19 Feb for some work but I'll fit in some house hunting time.

Jim.
Ogribike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Sorry, I'm up in Austin, but I've got to point you at www.twtex.com It's a site for Texas riders. Actually, plenty of Houstonites on there so you might ask there too. They'd give you a perspective about commuting on a bike too.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,751
The northwest area is OK but bellaire is right down the road. Problem is high housing cost. Same with west university and southside place, all close to the medical center. Sharpstown is close too but crime is a problem. Prices drop off the further west you go, like stafford or sugarland, but then commute time becomes an issue.

Houston is a dangerous place for motorcycles, I'm surprised I made it out alive.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I'm a Houston native and have lived in various areas, many requireing a commute. You don't mention $, and I can understand why, but if you work in the Galleria area I highly recommend trying to buy or rent in the area. I live inside the loop in a 50's era home close to the Galleria, the Med Center, Rice University, and Reliant Center. I never have to get on a freeway to get where I'm going and that is worth quite a bit. One place to look would be the Braes Terrace and Knollwood neighborhoods. Homes are generally 3 bedrooms, double car garages, and there is a range of prices. Rent or buy, and these areas are probably the most modest available in the area. If you want more detailed info and my take, PM me and I'll fill you in. Houston can be a great place to live, or not, depending. It is a great place to work, regardless. One person to contact is Stormy Hayes-Knipe, familiar with this area and an ex neighbor. http://members.har.com/sites/gk/disp...?publicID=SGHK Personally, I would not consider trying to drive in and back from the NW area. There are some deals on real estate out there though, just be prepared to live in your car for two to three hours day.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
atrisk5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
welcome to Texas

Good friend of mine lives and sells that area. She could help you out.

http://www.har.com/AWS/AWS.CFM?AGENT_NUMBER=558177

Or come see me. I am a builder on the east and south side. I have new houses for sale.

http://agent-50213.pages.tourfactory.com/R&R_Homes

Anyway welcome to town, let me know if you need anything. Or let's go ride.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Feo y Gordo
Now What?

Oddometer: 4,914
Jim, what do you consider a "little land"?

More than an acre?

More than 5 acres?

Or just enough so you can't hear your neighbors fart every single time they break wind?

You got time for breakfast on the 12th? We can probably round up the usual suspects on the NW side to fill you in.
Feo y Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 650
Braes Terrace is a nice spot. You may also consider Garden Oaks, Meyerland or Willowbend.

One thing to keep in mind is Houston has no zoning. Neighborhoods are managed by deed restrictions, so read your deed restrictions carefully before you buy. Also neighborhoods can change from really nice to really ugly in just a few blocks. When I moved there in the 90s I rented for a couple of years before I finally settled down in Meyerland and would do it the same way again.

The only way to live forever is to give up everything worth living for.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,346
As Meridan says, Meyerland ain't bad, but Rabbs Prairie is the best.

Sadly, it would be a 100 mile commute...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,751
Meyerland might present some bargain housing, as it was once a very affluent subdivision. Unfortunately, subsidance over the years has made it prone to flooding from nearby braes bayou, and if there's one thing you can depend on in houston is epic rain events. I know of at least 2 that had a lot of commuters walking home because their cars got marrooned on the highway.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Berg-N-8-R
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I've been in Houston for a couple of years.. I work near the Galleria.

We live in Rice Military (77007), its a 15 min commute to Galleria.. The aria is mainly 3 story town house, there are a few houses (we are selling ours currently) in this area, but there are more in the Heights which is 20 mins from Galleria..

This part of town has a good number of bars and restaurants etc....

Good Luck
Berg-N-8-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
Ogribike OP
Vagabond

Thanks for the info Folks. I just got back in the States. I still plan on being in Houston next week for about ten days.

I plan to check out some of the suggested areas. Feo, a little land would just be 3+ acres, just enough not to see the neighbors all the time. After reading some of the suggestions I will check out the areas closer to work so I can cut down on the commute. I hope to be working from 6 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon. This would help me miss some of the traffic.

I've been to Houston quite a few times in the past few years, sometimes extended visits but I always stayed near work in some extended stay type hotel.

I should be making the move near the end of April, the company will put me up for a couple of months while I house hunt.

Jim.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 639
I vote - North & West sides - for areas to live around Houston. You also have not stated anything about riding. To the north you have Sam Houston National Forest, great area with well over a hundred miles of marked trails (with the usual National Forest type restrictions for OHV - permits etc.) great for offroad. That area also has tons of dirt NF roads for your plated bikes. To the west you have again lots of epic dual sport riding (some really fantastic stuff west of Austin in the "Hill Country") That is about a 3 hour ride from Houston But worth it. Galveston is also a nice senic attraction - restaurants and the usual beach stuff - lots of harley riders about the area and there are a few D/S guys living down that way that will ride the beaches on occasion. (you can ride the TX beaches in most areas north or south of Galveston but not the ones around Galveston). If they let us rif-raff bikers on the beach then they also gotta let the big 4x4 guys on and so they block all motorized activity in the sand close to Galveston.
Lots of riding info here - http://www.twtex.com/forums/index.php Lots of planned group rides all over Texas! Your avitar is sport bikeish - yow will find lots of sport rider info on TWT also.

You also did not say anything about children, Texas in general has good schools (great in some areas). Inside Houston city limits is - well lets just say not so good as the outer areas! School districts are broken up in ISD's "Independent School Districts" This is big factor in home sales and will reflect the pricing slightly. Whats more important, your extra 20 min commute or your kids joining a gang? Your home pricing goes down further away Houston and schools get better but your commute cost in $ and time go up. My opinion is the smaller ISD's are more desirable - less problems. We had kids in Tomball ISD. Very nice community and about a 20 - 40 min commute from Galleria depending if you live north or south Tomball area. Of course as luck would have it - the worst traffic in Houston is leaving the Galleria area (in any direction) at peak traffic times - 4-6 pm so any direction is a bitch if you leave work late after noon. But you're gonna love living in the greater Houston area - Houston has pretty much everything a person could want.
So if you have no kids then you can live closer and pay higher pricing for housing (for the convenience of being close) or commute and save on housing costs.

On a side note - life style! The Montrose area of Houston (not very far from Galleria) is the "Alternative Life Style" area of Houston - you may find this attractive or not Not passing judgment or opinions folks - But may be a consideration for you when home shopping in the area!

Also if you're a M/C club type guy check out the TRH - Trail Riders of Houston, lots of dirt riding and Dual Sport guys/Gals in that club - a great way to meet other riders. They also host many riding events - one being annual Dual Sport Adventure ride in Terlingua (south west TX).

Good luck with your move!

EnduroRdr screwed with this post 02-04-2012 at 08:18 AM
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Ogribike OP
Vagabond

Yep, I did leave a few facts out. I am single so no worry about children, to old to start any new ones so I'm fine with that. I do all kinds of riding, my bikes vary, look at my profile. The one bike missing is something smaller for trail riding, the DS's I have are way to big. I am thinking of a midsize KTM soon after I do the house thing and get stuff moved down.

I worked for around 6 months on South Padre Island and took a bike down there for the duration. On the ride back to VA I headed to Big Bend and worked my way to the Blue Ridge in a round about fashion. I've done IBA rides as well as forest roads, including stream crossings on a sport bike (K100RS). So I don't mind riding anywhere.

I'm originally from Colorado, left the area for the military and eventually ended up in Virginia. So moving back towards the West is a plus in my book but I will miss riding the Blue Ridge and the fine folks of this area.

Jim.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
lddave
been there

Oddometer: 479
I have 2.5 acres with house and detached garage for sale in Fulshear for sale . Jump on the Westpark tollway and you are at work .

Dave Bankhead
Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
As Meridan says, Meyerland ain't bad, but Rabbs Prairie is the best.

Sadly, it would be a 100 mile commute...

NFE

Yes, we have a good neighborhoods out west of Sealy. Brunes Mill Road would be a good commute.

And it does rain. During Allison I emptied a 7 inch rain gauge three times before I got tired of getting soaked. Most of the city was underwater for that one.

When you get into town come on by the Houston BMW Club. Meets in the Heights every second Tuesday.

http://bmwclubofhouston.com/cms/en/

The only way to live forever is to give up everything worth living for.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote