User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #46
wbedient OP
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,218
Flashlights

I thought I'd share what I use for flashlights.

All my gear takes AA batteries, radios, GPS, flashlight etc. This way I only have to take one kind of battery, and if I run out of batteries I can rob peter to pay paul (steal from my flashlight to feed my GPS).

I use the Gerber Infinity Ultra Handy Torch.

I got mine for 20 bucks in 2005, and it still works great. You can pick up these kind of cheap flashlights at gas stations too. They're barely bigger than a AA and give you enough light to get around in the dark.

Around Christmas I was at home depot and they had aluminum single LED flashlights that work on a single AA battery for A DOLLAR each. I bought fifteen. Should have got 20.

Also, I think what people don't carry is pretty interesting. I used to carry a hatchet or folding saw, but I don't any more. They are too much of a PITA for getting wood (just look further away from camp). They could be useful for clearing trail but I've found I can usually ride around whatever is blocking the road/trail. So it gets left at home.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u

wbedient screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 09:37 PM
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #47
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

Oddometer: 93
Stealthcampingtent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
Anyone brought up the bike falling over bit? Be my concern.
Great idea and implementation. Backpacker for MANY years and still go with a tent. Camp UT and CO mainly and your talking bugs, critters, and other little nasties not wanted inside your bag or boots.
You can cross brace the bike on the opposite side of the tent using a single peg and paracord. Used best if pegged on the same side as the sidestand. Almost impossible to pull a bike over to tent's side if it's on the sidestand AND crossbraced with paracord. Plus you have to take into account that all tension on the tent (whether human or wind/weather) is first absorbed by the bungy cords. Even without any crossbracing it takes quite a bit of strain to pull the bike onto the tent.

If conditions doesn't allow (to soggy of uneven ground surfaces), the tent can still be pitched on a single attachment point, like a walking stick, at tree or a garden bench.

Adapt or die

BoerSchoeman screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 11:29 PM
BoerSchoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #48
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Everyone has different levels of comfort, and a couple of the guys I ride with make fun of me for taking any sleeping pad at all! Other guys bring tents and air pads. Some of the really sissy guys even bring a change of underwear . Point is to camp at your own comfort level and enjoy it. There is no point in being miserable on a bike trip that should be a blast.
You clearly debate a point and think it through. I like that.

I give lightweight camping workshops/training in South Africa for newbie adventure riders. Like a previous inmate said: Nowadays, camping gear can be cheap, but buying the right one..... We try and advise them as to what they should and shouldn't buy as a startup point.

One of the things we teach the guys is, There is NO correct camping gear for ALL trips. You have to diversify your packing setup based on the expected conditions whether it be weather/season, road surfaces, rider's ability on the bike etc. As well as the number of days spent in the same spot. That being said, you have to buy smart so you can use the same gear on multiple kinds of trips, too.

eg. If I go away to the river and I know I will camp there for 3-5days, I take a 3 person dome tent compared to when I tour. I mostly do long distance gravel touring. 8-10 days of 500 - 800 Miles per day. Than I use the smallest tent I have. And it sets up fast.Because at the end of 450 miles of touring, the last thing I want to do is spend 5 minutes pitching a huge 3 person tent. All I want is to roll out my sleeping setup, hook it to my bike, and grab a beer.

My point is, even though we all have various levels of comfort that we seek from our camping setup, my individual comfort and needs will differ based on conditions of the trip that I expect to encounter.

Those unexpected conditions, is in my opinion, part of the adventure.

BoerSchoeman screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 11:32 PM
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #49
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
used to be ... ultra light/strong tents and in general light backpacking gear were domain of high end mfg like Patagonia, Serra Designs, MSR, Marmot, Bibler, etc. etc. this meant a substantial $$$ investment in your equipment. which newbie campers either were not willing and/or unable to purchase.

yes those same high end mfg are still around making NICEST state of the art camping gear. but technology has trickled down, prices have come down accordingly. even with high end makers.

Sierra Designs Stretch Prelude at one time was considered one of the best 4 man, 4 season tents available. trouble was it's $650 price tag ... fast forward a few years... it's super stable dome design with exterior clips, aluminum poles and vestibule are now copied by several mfg.

several tents that use above design with great success and super low prices. I've purchased tents very close in function and weight to Stretch Prelude for under $125. in other words ... ultra light/strong tents are down right cheap. catch is knowing which one to buy....

now take above example for tents and apply it to rest of camping gear needed. ultra light weight high performance camping gear is no longer only available from high end mfg. trickle down technology has even reached Walmart. who has some of the best high tech layering available at any price.

costs to setup ultra light camping gear is now quite reasonable ... OK, cheap, compared to a few short years ago. catch is still knowing what/where to purchase.

Good post.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #50
Medic
Window licker

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerSchoeman View Post
You clearly debate a point and think it through. I like that.

I give lightweight camping workshops/training in South Africa for newbie adventure riders. Like a previous inmate said: Nowadays, camping gear can be cheap, but buying the right one..... We try and advise them as to what they should and shouldn't buy as a startup point.

One of the things we teach the guys is, There is NO correct camping gear for ALL trips. You have to diversify your packing setup based on the expected conditions whether it be weather/season, road surfaces, rider's ability on the bike etc. As well as the number of days spent in the same spot. That being said, you have to buy smart so you can use the same gear on multiple kinds of trips, too.

eg. If I go away to the river and I know I will camp there for 3-5days, I take a 3 person dome tent compared to when I tour. I mostly do long distance gravel touring. 8-10 days of 500 - 800 Miles per day. Than I use the smallest tent I have. And it sets up fast.Because at the end of 450 miles of touring, the last thing I want to do is spend 5 minutes pitching a huge 3 person tent. All I want is to roll out my sleeping setup, hook it to my bike, and grab a beer.

My point is, even though we all have various levels of comfort that we seek from our camping setup, my individual comfort and needs will differ based on conditions of the trip that I expect to encounter.

Those unexpected conditions, is in my opinion, part of the adventure.
Best post of the thread, and good enough for me to break my usual "no quote" rule.

FarRider #332.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #51
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Thanks!

Quote:
Well in that case...

And to my Friend John Smallberries, Howzit John. And I would definetly add that tarp you are looking at to your new camping equipment.

Cheers from Sunny South Africa.
Boer;
Thanks!! How's my red tent coming along?
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #52
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Also, I think what people don't carry is pretty interesting. I used to carry a hatchet or folding saw, but I don't any more. They are too much of a PITA for getting wood (just look further away from camp). They could be useful for clearing trail but I've found I can usually ride around whatever is blocking the road/trail. So it gets left at home.
Yep. For me, multi-purpose devices are great and much easier to justify. My Lumix FT-3 is a video camera, a still camera and a backup GPS as well as an altimeter. I carry a Glock shovel (many uses: digging bikes out, as a giant ground anchor for the tent, digging holes to crap in, water trenches, etc.) one of the benefits is that it has a saw in it. I can justify that as it serves so many purposes. No way I'd bother with a dedicated saw though. I can honestly say I have never needed a saw in hundreds of nights camping. It can make fire or shelter building easier/quicker, but it has never enabled either when they would otherwise have been impossible. In the time it takes to saw through anything big enough that I can't ride over, I could usually have found another way around.

I always take a pillow these days. I used to leave it at home on very lightweight trips. Nowadays I always carry the exped inflatable pillow. It's the only inflatable pillow I've seen that is truly comfortable and yet packs so small that I never feel compelled to leave it at home. It fits in my fist and ensures I sleep properly. Even if I only got a crick in the neck from sleeping without a pillow 10% of the time (and it was a lot more often than that) it'd be worth taking.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #53
wbedient OP
MoTard

Quote:
There is NO correct camping gear for ALL trips.
You've got that right! My kit changes every time I go on a trip, even when they're very similar trips. I try to learn something new on every trip, adapting my kit, packing style etc. every time I go out.

Can you tell us a couple companies with affordable gear that we should look at and some that we should avoid? It would be fun to go to your class, but South Africa is a LONG way to go.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #54
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

Quote:
You've got that right! My kit changes every time I go on a trip, even when they're very similar trips. I try to learn something new on every trip, adapting my kit, packing style etc. every time I go out.

Can you tell us a couple companies with affordable gear that we should look at and some that we should avoid? It would be fun to go to your class, but South Africa is a LONG way to go.

You don't need a class. You got it all sorted. At least you diversify and learn from each trip. Some of the okes go over the top on the packing dept.

We don't have half of the number of quality suppliers you guys have in the states, So me giving you advice is actually funny, cause I learned something from your post.

And when you do come to South Africa, we wont be taking classes, we will go riding.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #55
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

My new setup.I

I Made my own tarp recently, and on Saturday it started pouring in Pretoria, so I quickly setup shop to test my new tarp.

Couple of things I learned:

My tarp material will be replaced with Sil Nylon, who cares about noisy in the wind. It's lighter and it doesn't absorb water (which mine did). And my drinking buddies makes more noise anyway.

The two sections of my tarp will be stitched together that they run from pole to pole, and not across the centre of the tarp. This will help to "lift" the centre of the tarp when you pull the guy ropes tighter.

I will use seamsealer on the stitching. Eventually it started dripping slightly at the lowest point, but it could be from material saturation.

On a previous test I found no dew forms under the tarp, so it works well in conjuction with my small tent.

Big Plus: In heavy downpour, My tent's inside remained completely dry, and I could sit outside my tent under the tarp and cook.

I will do a proper outcamp/outride tonite with full gear and report back.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #56
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,697
Quote:
Any chance you could write up an exact run-down of the parts you have plus the tarp you're gonna get? (i.e. pole make / model / size, tarp make / model / size, etc.)

I'm looking to buy a set-up, but every time I check on the links provided for one form or another of a reported Kelty knock-off tarp the inventory is zero, and, hell, I'm getting tired of trying to figure out what to buy. I might as well just buy exactly what looks to work that some other member tested and go with it, and your camp, there, looks like what I'd want.

---

Edit: Aw, shucks, skip it - you're in south Africa. LOL, just saw that.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #57
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Any chance you could write up an exact run-down of the parts you have plus the tarp you're gonna get? (i.e. pole make / model / size, tarp make / model / size, etc.)

I'm looking to buy a set-up, but every time I check on the links provided for one form or another of a reported Kelty knock-off tarp the inventory is zero, and, hell, I'm getting tired of trying to figure out what to buy. I might as well just buy exactly what looks to work that some other member tested and go with it, and your camp, there, looks like what I'd want.

---

Edit: Aw, shucks, skip it - you're in south Africa. LOL, just saw that.
Don't worry too much. Our camp out tonite will involve a photo shoot which will serve as the promo materials for my post in the Vendor section. Keep any eye out for Stealth Camper in the Vendor's next week.

And tarps are easy to make mate. Gotta give the lady of the house some work some time, hey?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #58
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,781
Boer, did you treat the tarp fabric with anything?

ive made a few, I normally spray them with this stuff, really good like 2 coats on the top side.

it makes them perfectly usable.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #59
wbedient OP
MoTard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post

ive made a few...
What do you make your tarps out of? You got a write up or thread?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 02-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #60
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post

ive made a few, I normally spray them with this stuff, really good like 2 coats on the top side.

it makes them perfectly usable.
I have used a similiar product on some of the Campmaster tent's seams and it has worked well. Tx for the reminder, I think it could work well.

Regarding the tarp, I think the way to go is silNylon, Just because it's water repellent, and not just waterproof. I will still spray the seams with this stuff though.

Tx.