User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
nivek skoorb OP
brooksiedog

Oddometer: 8
Warren County (IN) Gravel

Wikipedia says: "Warren County lies in western Indiana between the Illinois border and the Wabash River in the United States." "Much of the land in the county is given over to agriculture, especially on the open prairie in the northern and western parts; the county's farmland is among the most productive in the state. Nearer the river along the southeastern border, the land has many hills, valleys, and tributary streams and is more heavily wooded."

I says it is my favorite half-day trip area 'cause I can leave town and within 15 minutes ride on gravel as long as I want. Today's day trip was fairly representative - my wife and I spent three hours covering a whopping 80 miles. I do this area so much that I know where most of the bike chasing dogs live.

The first leg always start along the Wabash River as it leave Tippecanoe County. Once you hit the first gravel, there are plenty of options. You can meander for a quick after work trip, head south to covered bridge land, north to wind farm land, or continue west to the land of endless deer.

DSC_0041 by nivek800, on Flickr

Today's destination was, and I quote Wikipedia again: "Hotel Mudlavia (commonly referred to simply as Mudlavia, and originally named the Indiana Springs Company) was a hotel and spa built on the site of a natural spring near the town of Kramer in Warren County, Indiana. The spring was discovered by Samuel Story, a Civil War soldier who, in August 1884, was reputed to have been working in the mud digging a drainage ditch. He drank water from the spring and discovered that his rheumatism symptoms gradually disappeared."

DSC_0017 by nivek800, on Flickr

It's a popular destination due to ghost stories that have evolved over the years.

DSC_0010 by nivek800, on Flickr

A few miles up the road is a little bar and grill, which we found out is closed on Sunday. After I took this picture and packed my camera away, I looked across the road and then had to move my bike and get the camera out again.

DSC_0020 by nivek800, on Flickr

DSC_0027 by nivek800, on Flickr

These roads go on and on and for some reason never get boring. A lot of them look a lot different when the corn comes up!

DSC_0001 by nivek800, on Flickr

Nivek

nivek skoorb screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 03:30 PM Reason: fixed a directional error
nivek skoorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Enoyed your ride account

I too live in Indiana (Putnam Co)

I am a newby but eager to get out there.

Looks like you have the perfect place to ride :)

J
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote