Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #46
Ducatiparts.110mb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Very, very impressive. How long did it take from start to finish?
Ducatiparts.110mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #47
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,262
color me very impressed, excellent build from start to finish

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #48
micksouthere OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatiparts.110mb View Post
Very, very impressive. How long did it take from start to finish?
just over a year...a very intense year!!!
micksouthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #49
micksouthere OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aposaric View Post
Fantastic build :-) this is industrial standard stuff. I thought it is going to be a garden shack build, but you really have skills and the tools :-) I presume that you have to drink a lot of yellow tea and raw egs to put your brains into the sweetspot for controling that amount of power in the bends? How is the accelerator response and rear tyre slyppage on the kneebenders?

The throttle response is instant when your in the boost (this starts to wind on at about 4500-5000rpm and holds all the way to 10,000rpm) I also built a turbo gsxr1000 so it was a good learning curve before the big one.
Its not actually the horsepower that is frightening or intimidating its actually the torque. If you take a stock GSXR 1000 and the turbo charged one...mine pulls in fourth just like a stock one does in first gear...the busa is even more dramatic and can still do silly things in fifth and sixth gear...like spin or wheelie...but you do get 'used' to it...they never ever fail to put a smile on your dial.
And before anyone asks yes tires (rear) will last all day.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #50
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
That is just utterly ridiculous ...I LOVE IT! Seriously, amazing build. I’ve done a lot of CAD work in my time, and I cannot imagine the man hours that went into designing, programming and building that frame...much less all the secondary parts, great work.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #51
micksouthere OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
That is just utterly ridiculous ...I LOVE IT! Seriously, amazing build. I’ve done a lot of CAD work in my time, and I cannot imagine the man hours that went into designing, programming and building that frame...much less all the secondary parts, great work.
Yeah...but serious help from several serious genius's all the way down the line...now I'm looking at a serious rally bike or two...I mean how hard can it be???!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #52
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 266
Have you tested the top speed ( in closed and private road, ofcourse ) I couldn't resist taking it somewhere in the dawn and try to see how much over 200 mph it will go :-)
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #53
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by micksouthere View Post
Yeah...but serious help from several serious genius's all the way down the line...now I'm looking at a serious rally bike or two...I mean how hard can it be???!!!!!!!
Somehow I think you'll be fine

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #54
micksouthere OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Somehow I think you'll be fine
Its interesting when you have to throw big suspension into the mix and fuel tanks up the front and back.

"Dakar esque" rally bike here we come...and they do just beg to be covered in carbon...gonna love the MWG face when he sees his beautiful crafted billet smashed around a desert somewhere!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #55
micksouthere OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Have you tested the top speed ( in closed and private road, ofcourse ) I couldn't resist taking it somewhere in the dawn and try to see how much over 200 mph it will go :-)
Yes by all accounts it was built to accelerate out of corners at a voracious amount of knots...whipping it down the local freeway showed it would easily pull top noise to the rev limiter...which means its a bit quicker than a stock one by approx 20mph...(330-340kmh) allegedly
Old 02-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #56
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 266
Thumb

Quote:
Its interesting when you have to throw big suspension into the mix and fuel tanks up the front and back.

"Dakar esque" rally bike here we come...and they do just beg to be covered in carbon...gonna love the MWG face when he sees his beautiful crafted billet smashed around a desert somewhere!!!
I can't wait for that one :-) Do you allready have any special engine in mind? With your skills and geniouses around you, you could easily manufacture one of a kind beast. If I had your resources in disposal, I would definitely opted for creating a bike with a fuel tank under the seat/behind the engine, to lower the center of gravity as much as I can, leaving the area above the engine as light as possible, and use it for the luggage/tent/spares storage, to maximaly centralise the mases, and leave the front and rear of the bike as light as possible.

Quote:
Yes by all accounts it was built to accelerate out of corners at a voracious amount of knots...whipping it down the local freeway showed it would easily pull top noise to the rev limiter...which means its a bit quicker than a stock one by approx 20mph...(330-340kmh) allegedly
That is what I thought :-) I know that you didn't design it to abolish land speed records, otherwise you wouldn't have shortened the wheel base, but it is nice to know that the ability is there :-)
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #57
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 668
quandry

Quote:
You mad beautiful bastard(s) ! I don't know whether to commission a statue or put up wanted posters !
Cheers,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #58
micksouthere OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennswoodsed View Post
You mad beautiful bastard(s) ! I don't know whether to commission a statue or put up wanted posters !
Cheers,Ed
Have no fear the local cuntstablurry have been out in force desperately trying to apprehend "a guy on a black bike that whistles and goes very very fast"
Well I did have to test it to make sure I'd ...well we'd.... got it right.
It was funny talking to the people involved who wanted me to sign disclaimers...I 'm sure they thought I wasn't going to be around for long.

Now where's that schematic of a 450 ktm rr that needs...improving!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #59
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,882
Quote:
The wall for partial streamlining is about 225 at sea level. At that point you begin to experience wheelspin.

BTW outstanding build. Beautiful bike.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #60
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,461