Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #211
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
I dought the NHTSA will get involved because the final drive failure usually doesn't result in a catastrophic event, ie. injury or death. Usually the rider feels the rear of the bike wobble or other handling problems, checks the rear end and see's oil coming out or when servicing the bike finds metal on the magnet of the final drive plug. I think GrahamD said that in the last 5 years there have been 625000+ units built by BMW with final drives world wide, and if .01% had final drive problems then 6250 bikes had some sort of final drive issue.
Check your math. 0.01% of 625,000 is 62.5 bikes.

Hi Dallara. Long time no hear of you. Hope life is treating you well.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #212
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,713
Question Are motorcycles relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
BMW Automobiles are about as relevant to this discussion as space shuttles...

From the San Francisco Chronicle article linked to above at:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DTL&type=autos

It states the following clearly:

Quote:
"German automaker BMW has agreed to pay $3 million for delays in reporting safety defects and recalls to the federal regulators, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Friday...

...NHTSA investigators also complained it was taking BMW on average over 30 dates to supply "fundamental" information missing from recall updates.

The recalls involved motorcycles, as well as sport utility vehicles."
Just FYI...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 10:56 AM
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #213
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
That is absolutely true. This thread has been ruined. Worse.

Someone wrote:

I'm remembering the old adage :
"In science, it is not important who speaks, but what is said."

Or should we acclaim a different standard for this forum ?

There hasn't been much science, if any.

We know that some people refuse to allow a measured, cogent, robust discussion to take place.
The quote about science doesn't apply just to science but all endeavors that involve reason. On this thread, the oft applied name of "troll"(mythical monster,originally) violates that principle very finely. No myth there. How's a consumer supposed to know the science of motorcycles? Like a lotta folks, I've had lots of bikes,darn little science. What about the often heard claim that BMW's swing arm creates forces that wear & strain the final drive? As a former GS owner I've wondered about that. Any "scientists"out there who can discuss that intelligently? I read in a newspaper that "science says the intelligent mind seeks ease". That makes my level of laziness Einsteinian. I'll suk on this beer whilst lounging in my easy chair & you guys do the work. Whay say ye?
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #214
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 9,861
Just to chime in... my final drive is having new bearings put in as I type this. Going to Mexico and Central America and the dealer caught it on the pre-trip checkup. Nothing catastrophic. It was caught in time to make it a "relatively cheap" repair.

He told me that he was going to start stocking these bearings because they are seeing more and more bearing failures starting to happen on '05 and '06 GSs.

Mine is an '06 with 41K.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #215
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 599
Yamaha is the only major manufacturer left in this segment, who is still using a design that is outdated by today's standards. I guess the discussion will be going on until Yamaha is finally catching up. We will then probably see many current Yamaha owners happily trading-in for updated single swingarm models.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #216
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
I said that my BMW's final drive failed and it was not reported to the NHSTA: fact. I said that my Honda and Yamaha were not perfect: fact.

Boy, I really am a master shit stirrer.
In other words, a troll!

You have the bike you want, now seem to feel the need to come back and either gloat, or just stir up crap. Seems there are several doing the same!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #217
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
Check your math. 0.01% of 625,000 is 62.5 bikes.

Hi Dallara. Long time no hear of you. Hope life is treating you well.
Your right. That's even harder to believe. .

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #218
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
Yamaha is the only major manufacturer left in this segment, who is still using a design that is outdated by today's standards. I guess the discussion will be going on until Yamaha is finally catching up. We will then probably see many current Yamaha owners happily trading-in for updated single swingarm models.

Anyway, I'm off to ride my POS. Check back on the train wreck later.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #219
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
It's apparent you have no idea how many Beemerphiles/Propeller Heads come over to Tenere threads and slag, frag, and bag the Yamaha all day long. Maybe it's a central European thing, because the Orange Crush Bunch with KTM's are pretty flagrant bashers, too.

Seems it's OK to insult former BMW owners on this thread without compunction, but heaven forbid anyone even question there may be any sort of real problem with a German mechanical object!

Dallara

~
Just goes to show that I practice what I preach. I fail to see the point of going to a fgorum in which I have no matching bike, and an not interested in one, and intentionally inflaming the locals just to piss them off. Claim innocence all you like, and same with a few others, but it sure looks like your only reason here is to stir up shit. No constructive input, just tossing out crap to see who will rise to the bait. Generally that is reserved for Jomomma!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #220
svennoly
Banned

Oddometer: 513
^ yep yep^
svennoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #221
svennoly
Banned

Oddometer: 513
Now i'm not going to change my final drive fluid, put some Honda oil in, put on a Shiko rear tire and what else am i forgetting?
svennoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #222
icebox
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
The quote about science doesn't apply just to science but all endeavors that involve reason. On this thread, the oft applied name of "troll"(mythical monster,originally) violates that principle very finely. No myth there. How's a consumer supposed to know the science of motorcycles? Like a lotta folks, I've had lots of bikes,darn little science. What about the often heard claim that BMW's swing arm creates forces that wear & strain the final drive? As a former GS owner I've wondered about that. Any "scientists"out there who can discuss that intelligently? I read in a newspaper that "science says the intelligent mind seeks ease". That makes my level of laziness Einsteinian. I'll suk on this beer whilst lounging in my easy chair & you guys do the work. Whay say ye?

Don't really need to be a scientist, just a mechanic.every car in esscence has four single sided swing arms. Two bearings support most tires, all trailers are single sided. the engineering involved is in how to size the bearings for the load, the quality of the bearing for life span, the rate of rotation, and the number of expected larger than normal loads, shock, heavy luggage or pillions, etc. Oh, and how much oil and how often to service it, ooops, that changed after 2005. That calculation I can't do for you. but supporting a wheel from one side only is pretty darn common.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #223
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Dallara,

If it's not too much trouble and you can manage the time, would you please fuck straight off out of this thread?

Go haunt some other brand's forum before this ends up in Jo momma, you gormy troll, you.

Thank you in advance.
Gee....the real Bobby Sands would have had a few of the lads go out and kneecap the bugger instead of politely inviting him to sod off !! Gettin' soft in yer old age eh?
billdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #224
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
Gee....the real Bobby Sands would have had a few of the lads go out and kneecap the bugger instead of politely inviting him to sod off !! Gettin' soft in yer old age eh?
Soft as chalk so it seems. Trying to honour the cease fire in GSpot.

Disarmament said nothing about power drills, innit?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #225
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Just to chime in... my final drive is having new bearings put in as I type this. Going to Mexico and Central America and the dealer caught it on the pre-trip checkup. Nothing catastrophic. It was caught in time to make it a "relatively cheap" repair.

He told me that he was going to start stocking these bearings because they are seeing more and more bearing failures starting to happen on '05 and '06 GSs.

Mine is an '06 with 41K.
Mine was an 06' too. Hope your servo brakes are doing LOTS better than mine did. Good luck.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote