Old 02-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #271
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
Looks like BMW is getting hammered by NHSTA
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Feb/120213i1.htm

When on the COG site many moons ago, they talked about "holes" in cam lobes, and IIRC spline issues on the final drive. When I had my two 955 Sprints they had brake issues of all kinds and fuel disconnects that leaked like sieves. On my FJR there was always talk of drive shaft splines wearing away. All bikes have issues.

The BMW makes the best made bikes in the world thing was probably true back when its competition were the likes of Matchless, BSA, HD, Triumph, Ducati, Norton, Royal Enfield, HD and the other bikes of the 60's. The Jap bikes came and a lot of inferior bikes went away. It isn't that BMW got worse with time, they got more complex and the competition of today just makes good bikes. It is IMO a pretty level playing field. If a group wants to think they have the best bikes, so fricken what? Just sayin'
Nothing new here.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #272
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
Your statement and ones like it add nothing of value and serve only as trolling.

I ride a BMW because it suits me. My first K1100RS cost me $10,000 in repairs the first year I bought it.
I just paid and rode.
It's a machine.
It breaks.
I fix.
No big deal.

I personally resent being called names. Have I called you names?
Seriously though - that IS obsessive. lemieuxmc was right. You spend almost the price of a new bike to keep your BMW running for a year, and it doesn't strike you that there's something not quite right with that?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #273
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,836
Laugh Addiction is a tough thing to beat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Seriously though - that IS obsessive. lemieuxmc was right. You spend almost the price of a new bike to keep your BMW running for a year, and it doesn't strike you that there's something not quite right with that?

It's just impossible to reason with excessive amounts of Kool-Aid...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #274
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Seriously though - that IS obsessive.

My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #275
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
Yup, see post #267.
Sir,
I did, not without some dismay, notice that as well.

But what can you do?

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #276
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Nothing new here.

Jim
Your right there is nothing new in my comments, lots of similar posts.
What IS new is that BMW is being fined. Bikes actually burned to the ground on the Triumph quick disconnect issue and they denied it totally until the recall. Even then the fix was crap. BUT no fine. I've also seen Ducati and Honda step up to the plate and do pre-emptive fixes which were pretty pricey. What is new is that BMW must have done something to piss off NHTSA pretty bad for that type of action. The bad thing is you still don't know if there is an issue with the FD, just how BMW handles potential recall issues.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #277
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post

Well there's your problem, F'ing robots instead of good ol' German craftmanship, and to top it off, they even blind folded one of the robot, so..............

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #278
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,373
Quote:
What IS new is that BMW is being fined. Bikes actually burned to the ground on the Triumph quick disconnect issue and they denied it totally until the recall. Even then the fix was crap. BUT no fine. I've also seen Ducati and Honda step up to the plate and do pre-emptive fixes which were pretty pricey. What is new is that BMW must have done something to piss off NHTSA pretty bad for that type of action. The bad thing is you still don't know if there is an issue with the FD, just how BMW handles potential recall issues.
When I worked at a Ducati dealer, Ducati was covering the bad valve guides on Multistradas far out of warranty without hassle. The valve guides cause a running issue not a failure that would render the bike unrideable.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #279
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
The bike "speaks" to me. It has never been about a dollar value. I still have that 1993 K1100RS bike and I'm currently doing a frame off, open engine, rebuilt transmission restoration. I'm doing all the work myself except the powder coating the frame.

It doesn't matter what the brand or bike it is if you fall in love.
I gave up riding damn near maintenance free Hondas for what I call The Shop Whore BMW and have never looked back.

I have a 1996 K1100RS and a 2005 K1200s to ride in the mean while.
Or I can ride the MTN Super Duke or the S1000RR.

Oh and does anyone want to talk about the 2005 K1200S Transmissions.

Again, things break.
I never called you names... YOU are the one who stepped into the anal retentive, obsessive compulsive description pile.

Only an idiot doesn't know that things can break, the difference is that good things don't break unless you abuse them.

Good things tend to cost more than less good things, BMW products tend to cost more than other products; so when someone buys a BMW product and it breaks without being abused, they are rightfully pissed off.

Back in 1970, my brother and I tried our best to break our dad's 1967 CT90 Honda. That thing is probably still running!

Didja ever see the episodes of Top Gear where they try to kill a Honda Super Cub or a Toyota pick-up? What would the outcome be if the lads got ahold of your BMW? How would it speak to them... NOOOOO!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #280
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
I never called you names... YOU are the one who stepped into the anal retentive, obsessive compulsive description pile.

Only an idiot doesn't know that things can break, the difference is that good things don't break unless you abuse them.

Good things tend to cost more than less good things, BMW products tend to cost more than other products; so when someone buys a BMW product and it breaks without being abused, they are rightfully pissed off.

Back in 1970, my brother and I tried our best to break our dad's 1967 CT90 Honda. That thing is probably still running!

Didja ever see the episodes of Top Gear where they try to kill a Honda Super Cub or a Toyota pick-up? What would the outcome be if the lads got ahold of your BMW? How would it speak to them... NOOOOO!

WHAT ! ! ! Hell man if you try hard enough, you can break anything, what the hell does your responce have to do with anything we are talking about here. D.A.......... Give me you dad's CT90 and I'll kill it in the first ten minutes ! ! !

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !

bigdave-gs screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 01:17 PM
Old 02-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #281
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Quote:
Some awesome pictures there Shoganai ! ! !

Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #282
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Be kinda nice if BMW would release stats on final drive problems,don't ya think? If those stats confirm a problem, is it poor design, manufacturing techniques(quality control) or what? Maybe the US should require such info from importers(domestics too). We spend zillions of $$$ on Big govt "safety"bureacrats and their pensions & are STILL in the dark about essential info for little guy consumers. A woman just took Honda to small claims court over bogus EPA mpg ratings on her Civic hybrid car and WON. Maybe we should do a LOT more of that. Accountability,it's time has come. Ain't it about time somebody done sumthin?
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #283
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Quote:
Thanx Dave.
I often say, 'there's no adventure in turning around '.
That was 17 miles of puddle slogging on my 1993 K11 wearing Pilot Roads.

I also rode her all the way up the Demster to Inuvik.
Very cool. I plan on riding my 04 R1150 GS Adventure up to Barrow. There is a bar up there that is the most northern bar in the northern hemisphere. I figure that's a good reason to ride up there. Probably go next summer around the first of July. Make a 30 day ride out of it.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #284
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,634
Quote:
Read the whole thread. What you posted about fines has already been posted a few times.

As to the Yamaha crowd, seems it must be slow on their forum again, they are back trolling here.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #285
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Very cool. I plan on riding my 04 R1150 GS Adventure up to Barrow. There is a bar up there that is the most northern bar in the northern hemisphere.
Assuming, of course, that you mean mainland.
In Longyearbyen there is not only many bars, there is even an university
Barrow is at 71 degrees while Longyearbyen is at 78.
The world's northernmost public bar is at the Radisson Hotel in Longyearbyen.

After all, even Tromsø with 60.000 people is far north of Prudhoe Bay.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616

tagesk screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 02:25 PM
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote