Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #361
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,105
Funny, I was just talking to Tom at the RA rally on Saturday.

An EVO FD article is not my next project, but maybe the one after. Next will be basic adventure-proofing for your Hexhead (antenna ring, fuel controller, FD check, etc).
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #362
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
Tom Lowdermilk the host of sidestandup.com just turned 200k on his 1200RT... if it'll stand up to his maintenance schedule (hahaha) and riding style... I'M GOOD

Sorry Tom just had to use you as an example.
You must know Tom's proclivity towards delayed maintenance!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #363
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
Funny, I was just talking to Tom at the RA rally on Saturday.

An EVO FD article is not my next project, but maybe the one after. Next will be basic adventure-proofing for your Hexhead (antenna ring, fuel controller, FD check, etc).
Excellent... looking forward to your article....worthwhile to be sure! Please let us on Adv Rider know where it will appear when it is completed. Thanks.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #364
sweetgrass
Single Track Mind

Oddometer: 194
I have been riding and racing motorcycles for over 40 years. But this is only my 2nd GS, my first was an 05 R1200GS, which I flogged hard off road. However I only put 18K on my 05 when I got rid of it, and my 07 which I currently own has only 25K. In the time that I owned my 05 I experienced no issues, but once again low miles, and in the time that I have owned my 07 no issues.

I just went out and check for play at 3 and 9 o'clock and 12 and 6 o'clock and there is none. But after reading this thread, I feel a bit concerned with the reliability of my GS. I dig the GS, and will continue to ride it as often as I can, but I guess when the FD does eventually fail I will repair it and continue to ride it.
sweetgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #365
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgrass View Post
I dig the GS, and will continue to ride it as often as I can, but I guess when the FD does eventually fail I will repair it and continue to ride it.
What he said

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #366
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgrass View Post
I have been riding and racing motorcycles for over 40 years. But this is only my 2nd GS, my first was an 05 R1200GS, which I flogged hard off road. However I only put 18K on my 05 when I got rid of it, and my 07 which I currently own has only 25K. In the time that I owned my 05 I experienced no issues, but once again low miles, and in the time that I have owned my 07 no issues.

I just went out and check for play at 3 and 9 o'clock and 12 and 6 o'clock and there is none. But after reading this thread, I feel a bit concerned with the reliability of my GS. I dig the GS, and will continue to ride it as often as I can, but I guess when the FD does eventually fail I will repair it and continue to ride it.
I could handle getting the FD bearing replaced every 38,000 miles but for me, being the third owner of a 1150GS, I had one go at at 38,000 and at 48,000. What does that tell you? Was it repaired improperly the first time? Who knows! I love the bike, but that is a confidence killer.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTec Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #367
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
NHSTA Opens Investigation into BMW Final Drive Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I could handle getting the FD bearing replaced every 38,000 miles but for me, being the third owner of a 1150GS, I had one go at at 38,000 and at 48,000. What does that tell you? Was it repaired improperly the first time? Who knows! I love the bike, but that is a confidence killer.
Well, allow me to look at this another way. Gosh knows, I tried a few other women before I settled the issue of the "final drive," who, by the way, has been with me for the last 44 years. Yes, in my former life, one women had issues at 10:00 PM and 12:00AM while others loosened up at 3 & 9 o'clock. The frustrating thing was there was no consistancy! However, I never lost faith in the marque and, frankly, it felt so good I couldn't stop. With all that experience under my belt, I finally got a winner!

Now, your results may vary. When I sling a leg over the saddle, I look forward to the ride. If I had to think about what might happen, I'd never leave the house. Do your maintanance and have a good time! That goes for you bike, too.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #368
pavement pounder
Dirt is the spice of life

Oddometer: 744
100,000km = 2 FDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Hold the wheel at 3 and 9 / 12 and 6 o'clock and try to move it towards you and away from you.. there should be no lateral movement.
I believe the < 1mm play is only at 9 and 3. At 12 and 6, there are other suspension components that will add to the free play

My first one went at 50,000 km, (too much play in bearing and notchy feeling because of lack of bearing support), my second one started leaking last week, then got notchy like the first, It has +- 1 mm play at 9-3 so I guess it's a trip to the dealer for another one. This one lasted +- 45,000. Truth be told, the bearings are a wear item and should be replaced near this interval to prevent failure. Bearing wear is not failure. Being stuck on the side of the road with the rear wheel broken off is failure! (ok that's a bit exaggerated but you get the idea!) I log +- 25,000km per year so it's a bit of a nuisance to have to postpone a trip waiting for a warranty part. In the future (warranty ends this winter) I will simply replace the bearings nearing this interval to prevent bad things from happening.

C

Charlie B. (The other Boorman)
Trans-Lab 2010 - James Bay 2011 - Shenandoah to Deal's Gap 2011
pavement pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #369
impi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
+ + more + even more = an infinite loop!

We AIN'T gonna solve this one! And for the guys who are saying BMW (whichever BMW you like) is going to "STONEWALL" NHTSA, why don't you ask Toyota how their tactics worked for them?
Sadly the result of the investigation on Toyota was not as widely published as the initial suspect and claims of the acceleration problem.

Where there's smoke there's not always a fire - sometimes it's an idiot driving with the park brake engaged.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #370
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Most likely!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #371
CHAPIN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
It would be nice to get accurate numbers on the failures.

I'll still keep my GSA even if I have to carry a spare final drive.
I just had my 2007 GSA FD replaced yesterday. I'm still keeping my bike along with the K1200R. I also own a DL650 and even though it is a nice bike I can really feel the difference when I hop back on the GSA, they are really in a different category. I love my GSA.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #372
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
My ex has gone through 2 final drives on her ST1100 with a total mileage of just over 100k. I've gone ~200k miles on both my GS (1100 & 1150) FDs with one seal replacement.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 AM   #373
BHumW
so many roads...

Oddometer: 162
Where's the thread on all the Honda ST1100 final drive failures???
BHumW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:52 AM   #374
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumW View Post
Where's the thread on all the Honda ST1100 final drive failures???
There are several on ST-Owners.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #375
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Hey..Remember BMW Final Drives Are The Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
There are several on ST-Owners.
Good grief...what the hell does a Honda final drive failure have to do with a BMW FD failure? Are they the same design? The same materials? If Honda FDs fail is it acceptable for BMW FDs to fail? BMW has been making bikes since at least 1923...plenty of time to sort out FDs.

Oh, I can hear it now: "Everything mechanical will fail"....right.. and we all will die. I get it...impermanence...great Buddhist precept but premature BMW FD failures are avoidable.

Still....what is BMW's response when asked about the cause or rate of FD failures? Oh, nobody knows because BMW has not elected to acknowledge or discuss the topic...there you go.

Wallowa screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 09:52 AM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote