Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
sanpau
Love to Ride

Oddometer: 698
I have been really thinking about the Ft. Lauderdale area since you asked about moving here. I am a public school teacher and there are several good schools in the area but only a couple of great elementary schools on the east side of town. Most of the better schools elementary wise are located in the west.
The travel...depends on where you need to go.....To travel east in the a.m. is not about the miles but the time....it can take as much as 1 hour to drive east from the west during rush hour in the a.m. or as little as 20 minutes if no traffic......
Weston is a nice area and just a little east is Sunrise. There are many modest priced homes in Sunrise/Davie/Plantation area as well from acreage to apt. living. These cities are about 20-30 minutes from the Ft. Lauderdale airport and about 45min. to the Miami airport. I75/595 are major access roads leading in all directions.
Like any urban area you will find the good and bad.
We settled in Sunrise due to the freedom it has opposed to the surrounding communities that said No commercial vehicles, No pick up trucks, No motorcycles, Use of Blue trash bags, paint your house 1 of three approved colors.......No boat parking....etc.
You will want to investigate the community restrictions and rules...where-ever you land. Coming from the Mid-West we are used to having freedom of choice.
We will look forward to meeting another ADV Rider on the forum and to join in on the South Florida Rides.
sanpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,189
OK, I vented, hope I didnt offend too much , but in all fairness, Florida is HUGE
geographically speaking. Cant really say one thing that would be specific to the
whole state. Martin County has some real nice spots, about an hour from
Lauderdale on a good day, no wrecks, no road crew work . . . "Old" downtown
Martin is very nice, the theatre, etc. My Wife taught in Martin Co School system
and it was one of the higher rated ones in FL. Good for kids, relatively speaking.
One of the very nicest town we've ever visited was a trip to the central region, Mt Dora.
Very, very nice. Almost New Englandish in a way. That whole Lakes / Eustis area would
be a nice place to live for anybody. Even me

Pass the Prozak !!!! Am I missing some stuff in FL ?!?!?!? AGGHHHHGGHH !
Best wishes in whatever you decide !!!
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpau View Post
You will want to investigate the community restrictions and rules...where-ever you land. Coming from the Mid-West we are used to having freedom of choice.
We will look forward to meeting another ADV Rider on the forum and to join in on the South Florida Rides.

This cannot be stressed enough !
The Realtors will give you one set that are far from the real ones the HOA's provide.
We found this out the hard way. The realtors fake version said MC's Ok, the real,
8" thick tome of the HOA said definitely "NOT". But again, thats the way they do
stuff. Realtors will do anything to move a property. Research an HOA thoroughly !!
They can increase dues at-will, any amount they want and you have to pay or they
take legal action against you. HOA bibles are written to be able to evict anyone,
even a Saint, for any reason. They tell you what color, what kind of car you can
have, pet, etc . . .Even INSIDE your house. Just an FYI.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
rnexussix
Member of Nexus 6

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZSO View Post
As I may have a tentative job offer in Ft. Lauderdale, I am investigating the lay-of-the-land in and around that area concerning future living accommodations. Specifically, the good, bad and other recommend living areas within a 30-45 minute commuting range that has a low (as possible) crime rate, good public schools, decent home prices (as possible), riding access for my son and other outdoor recreation attributes.

Any comments, recommendations and/or advice is welcomed at face value.

PM's are acceptable if preferred so as not to ruffle other ADV Rider FF feathers...

Thanks in advance-
DZSO
I have moved to SE Florida (a few miles north of Fort Lauderdale), about 4 month ago. Prior to this I lived for close to 20 years in So. Cal. People are WEIRD around here (and I know "weird" - see my So. Cal. credentials). If anything, heed what "ThunderKat" tells you in this post:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=10

Best of luck !
rnexussix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post

This cannot be stressed enough !
The Realtors will give you one set that are far from the real ones the HOA's provide.
We found this out the hard way. The realtors fake version said MC's Ok, the real,
8" thick tome of the HOA said definitely "NOT". But again, thats the way they do
stuff. Realtors will do anything to move a property. Research an HOA thoroughly !!
They can increase dues at-will, any amount they want and you have to pay or they
take legal action against you. HOA bibles are written to be able to evict anyone,
even a Saint, for any reason. They tell you what color, what kind of car you can
have, pet, etc . . .Even INSIDE your house. Just an FYI.
An HOA can dictate whether or not you own a bike? I can see maybe if you keep it outside, but surely not one you keep in your own frackin' garage? You've got to be exaggerating here.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #21
SteveJ
n00b, but I have beer...

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
An HOA can dictate whether or not you own a bike? I can see maybe if you keep it outside, but surely not one you keep in your own frackin' garage? You've got to be exaggerating here.
No exaggeration. Some also ban pickups.

HOA's suck. I live in Tavares, Lake County. No HOA. I like it here.
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:22 AM   #22
sanpau
Love to Ride

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Unfortunately--he is correct about the NO Motorcycles....We have friends that we have to visit in a car because you cannot get into their area with a pickup truck, van or motorcycle......I wonder WHY anyone would live there. Bob you should be able to give this guy some advise since you went the other way.......sanjoh and I will be out to visit you one of these days......---Plus who can keep all of their motorcycles inside anyway
sanpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #23
beaterktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
check out hobe sound. My friend just bought a house there.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #24
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer: 1,454
Why is it that people buy properties, the largest financial investment of their lives, without doing their homework first? I am on the BOD at my condo and you would be surprised what crap people claim that their realtor told them. And they believe it without question. I just look at them and wish they would listen to themselves, they'd maybe realize how ridiculous they sound.

Then they have the nerve to complain about the association.

Nothing against realtors, but most of them have never been to the properties they are showing, let alone know the rules of any of the places.
Central Sandbox Tag-O-Rama Maps
FL Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #25
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpau View Post
Unfortunately--he is correct about the NO Motorcycles....We have friends that we have to visit in a car because you cannot get into their area with a pickup truck, van or motorcycle......I wonder WHY anyone would live there. Bob you should be able to give this guy some advise since you went the other way.......sanjoh and I will be out to visit you one of these days......---Plus who can keep all of their motorcycles inside anyway
That is just unbelievable. Again, I can see it if you have a used bike lot outside your home, but being told what you can and can't drive? I don't think so. Never ceases to amaze what people will put up with in the "land of the free and home of the brave." And people complain about Big Brother. It's Little Brother you have to watch out for.

Plenty of HOA bullshit out here too, which is one reason this area is so horribly bland and uninteresting. The saving grace is that you can drive 15 minutes in any direction and be in the desert where no one will bother you. You guys should come out for a visit Paula. There is a world of great riding within two hours.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #26
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,893
Quote:
The saving grace is that you can drive 15 minutes in any direction and be in the desert where no one will bother you. You guys should come out for a visit Paula. There is a world of great riding within two hours.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #27
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
If you have any doubts about your possible move, they will be erased when you visit Lauderdale Beach on a sunny day and enjoy the view/s.
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Pepper View Post
Why is it that people buy properties, the largest financial investment of their lives, without doing their homework first? I am on the BOD at my condo and you would be surprised what crap people claim that their realtor told them. And they believe it without question. I just look at them and wish they would listen to themselves, they'd maybe realize how ridiculous they sound.

Then they have the nerve to complain about the association.

Nothing against realtors, but most of them have never been to the properties they are showing, let alone know the rules of any of the places.

Since this is directed at me, I will answer, we got scammed, purely and simply,
the details of which dont bear detailing on this page. It was a blessing though.
Which goes back to what I said in my first post. EVERYTHING is a scam.
Realtors are some of the worst of the bunch. We've bought and sold many
houses in a few states. I know realty. The level of scammery FL realtors have
come to is a stratosphere far above what even knowledgeable people are used to.
There are certain things that, yes, they can happen, like getting anal probed by
an alien on a back road in West Va. but having that happen by a realtor in
FL is not something a normal person would expect to happen to them in what
would be a 'normal' circumstance' in 47 other states. And, true to form, FL real
estate law is written so you have no case against anything a realtor wants to do
to you, but you would know that being part of a HOA BOD.

thunderkat59 screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 02:44 PM
Old 02-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
DZSO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
New Question -

Bump-

Please read the bottom of my original question.

Thanks-
DZSO

DZSO
DZSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #30
mblanco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I would try to avoid commuting more than 10 miles, suggest Davie, Cooper City. South Florida is culturally and bio diverse. I have seen people get scammed in many places all over the world. SOFLA is no different. I work in ftlauderdale.

A great city is coral springs but it will be an hour drive each way to/from ftlaud.

Good luck on your offer.
mblanco is offline   Reply With Quote