User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
insurance and sidecars

hey guys getting ready to mount up the california friendship 1 to my old virago and asked my insurance about sidecar and all they asked was the bike altered or modified. i was like no it has not but a professionally built sidecar is attached. what does one need to tell the insurance when riding hacked?? i would hate for something to happen then they claim I am not covered due to altering the bike or some foolish thing.

thanks
agent of orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
roadman48
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
In Ohio, Progressive Insurance considers the sidecar an "accessory". They provide $5,000 in accessory coverage as a standard part of their policy. Additional coverage can be purchased as needed.

Your state and insurance company may be different.

Larry
roadman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,945
Over here we just have to say that a sidecar is fitted.

Mind you,it's very straightforwards with my Urals because they are designed,specced and factory supplied as a sidecar outfit.

But even solos with sidecars added just need to be declared.

At the annual MOT test there is some extra checking applied to the sidecar and its mountings and lights which must be done by an approved tester but for insurance we just need to say a sidecar is fitted.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman48 View Post
In Ohio, Progressive Insurance considers the sidecar an "accessory". They provide $5,000 in accessory coverage as a standard part of their policy. Additional coverage can be purchased as needed.

Your state and insurance company may be different.

Larry
Same here in California. Progressive listed it as an "accessory" to which I could attach a specific dollar amount of coverage for what it's worth. You decide how much you want to add, it was pretty easy. But the bike is still listed in the system regularly, i.e. isn't listed as a sidecar.

For Urals that come stock with one, it might be different, but I don't have any experience with that and it wouldn't matter in this case anyway. Easiest thing is to ask this of your insurance person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,350
Might be helpful to let us know what country you are from. Estonia? Thailand? South Africa?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Might be helpful to let us know what country you are from. Estonia? Thailand? South Africa?

I thought everyone knew he's originally from Prince Edward Island.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #7
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Sidecar insurance in the UK is less straight forward in recent times. The days of a universal 50% reduction of a solo bike premium are long gone. When motorcycles, predominantly British iron, were regularly hitched to a third wheel, mechanicals and performance were less complicated. A relatively simple situation, somewhat comparable to the contemporary Ural package.

A significant problem is that some insurers won't consider insuring an outfit, including companies that were more than happy to do so fairly recently.

Of course, we have to acknowledge increased perfomance capabilities, but personal experience suggests that an ever more competitive insurance market hasn't helped when identifying your three wheel recipe. Insurance agents, brokers, and underwriters clearly don't understand the vehicle and its component parts. Allied to this are certain attitudes to modifications, irrespective of benefits.

Perhaps an illustration is that when seeking short term insurance to ride a sidecar outfit in the USA, underwriters declined a sidecar outfit based upon a Triumph Rocket 3 on the grounds that "the sidecar makes the bike less stable". Curiously, same underwriters didn't raise any objection to an outfit based upon a Suzuki 1300 Hayabusa.

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

nova scotia canada.. sorry guys for the tardy reply. i am with td for my dakar but when i was getting a quote for the virago i asked about if a sidecar is attached. the one on the phone maybe was thrown for a loop and asked me if the bike had been altered from its original state. i said no but a professionally built sidecar is to be fitted. she said it is altered then and they would not cover it. i am sure i will get different answer if I call back.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #9
tallnbig68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent of orange View Post
nova scotia canada.. sorry guys for the tardy reply. i am with td for my dakar but when i was getting a quote for the virago i asked about if a sidecar is attached. the one on the phone maybe was thrown for a loop and asked me if the bike had been altered from its original state. i said no but a professionally built sidecar is to be fitted. she said it is altered then and they would not cover it. i am sure i will get different answer if I call back.
Had the same problem with my Goldwing and Hedingham sidecar here in Ontario.
Most insurance underwriters have no earthly idea of which you speak when you talk to them.
Best look for an insurer in Nova Scotia who
tend to handle motorcycles. General insurance agencies can be hopeless.
Conversely look for somebody who deals in vintage
ie http://www.britcycle.com in Wolfville. And also http://www.novascotiabikers.com/

To be honest a sidecar is not really an alteration to the motorcycle
proper anymore than towing a trailer would alter the motorcycle save
for installing a trailer hitch. So i would do some searching. Maybe look for
some Canadian Vintage motorcycle members and maybe the following:
http://www.bmwons.ca/links-to-motorcycle-resources.html.

Good Luck
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible. – Bertrand Russell
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

thanks for the reply i have been busy with family and bathroom renos. but i will post up locally on the forums for my area as there has to be some other hack pilots out there in nova scotia lol.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #11
Sidewise
Adventurer

Contact Roger Symington owner/operator of The Yellow Sidecar B&B up on Cabot Trail he'll give you the scoop on insurance I'm sure.

sidebike99@aol.com

If the email fails you could contact him through his business website:

http://www.theyellowsidecarbnb.com/bed-breakfast/
Sidewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

Great!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
Ebayru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I live in Asheville, NC. I just received coverage for the hack I installed on my 74 Suzuki GT550. The bike was a junk yard find so I only had liability coverage. One day if dawned on me it was worth more since I added the hack.

When i called State Farm I was told the rig could be covered with comprehensive and collision IF it was professionally installed. I said I installed it; what if I got a statement from a certified mechanic? They weren't sure what the underwriters would say. I got my auto mechanic to look at it and he gave me a statement on his letterhead saying it looked well installed with a safety belt and proper lights. They accepted that.
Ebayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,781
I've had coverage with USAA on my Ural and now with my BMW/Dauntless rig. Both times they only wanted to know the total value of the rig. I rode and insured the BMW as a solo. I called them after installing the Dauntless and they only asked for the new combined value.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Usaa

..... they told me they don't cover motorcycles anymore, though I've had cars with them for over 40 years. I went with progressive.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote