User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
revrandy OP
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 268
Lowering a Triumph 955i - help please

This week I became the proud owner of a 2003 Triumph Tiger 955i. So far absolutely love it.

Unfortunately being vertically challenged, it is a bit too tall. In reading other threads both here and on Triumph forums, it appears the bike can be lowered by rotating the chain expansion dohickey. Earlier I stopped by the Triumph dealership and they said sorry, we don't even know what you are talking about.

While I understand the concept of what you are supposed to adjust on the bike, I have yet to find any images that will help confirm I am doing the right thing. So a pic of the swing arm on my bike. Help me understand if I am thinking correctly.

In the image I am supposed to loosen the bolt as indicated, and then rotate dohickey the adjusting nut sits in so that it is at the top, not at the bottom as pictured. Is this correct?

Of course I would put it on the centre stand to do so, but before I touch anything, I wanted to check with others on here.

Also after the rear is done, I am supposed to adjust the front forks. Does anyone have a pic of what I am supposed to do?

Thank you in advance for your help
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,107
This guy has some low cost ideas on lowering a Girlie.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
revrandy OP
The Riding Rev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
This guy has some low cost ideas on lowering a Girlie.
I have checked out that site, but he doesn't have pictures. What I am looking for is someone who has a Tiger to review my image and let me know if what I am thinking I need to do to lower the bike, is correct.

In my case a picture is worth way more than a thousand words.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Just loosen that bolt and turn the adjusters 180 degrees with the help of hex key and you're done. You already have adjusted you're seat to lowest position?
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
revrandy OP
The Riding Rev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
Just loosen that bolt and turn the adjusters 180 degrees with the help of hex key and you're done. You already have adjusted you're seat to lowest position?
Thank you, that is what I thought but wanted to confirm. And yes, the seat is at the lowest level already.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Seavoyage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133

1. loosen both left and right 8mm Hex pinch bolts (you do not need to remove)
  2. Remove both left and right axle retainer clips with needle nose pliers if you will use a 19mm hex socket on the axles. You don't need to loosen the axle nut.
  3. Rotate the eccentrics forward (chain becomes loose) with 10mm hex or 19mm sockets, and upward to a position above the swingarm.
  4. Adjust chain slack (45mm-60mm) at the 'weld on swingarm just behind lower shock bolt covers'. Do NOT have less than 25mm slack (even if stated in Triumph manual) - the looser the better on a 1999-2004 Tiger 955i
  5. Check for interference on chain guard. Shim chain guard mounting bolt with washers if necessary to clear chain. Install axle retainer clips.
  6. Tighten pinch bolts: 25 ft-lb
Tip: Do all of the above while on the centerstand. Drop forks through the triple trees/clamps while on center stand.

The modification drops your rear ride height over 2 inches. If you remove most of the preload and set the seat at the lowest of the 3 positions (under seat there is a left and right bracket which can be adjusted to the 'lowest' holes)

You should drop your front forks through the triple clamps to compensate for the lowered rear. The front forks can be dropped 30mm+ before the fork caps interfere with the handlebars.

Caveat: Handling is slower. Lowering the rear will make it very difficult to use the center-stand, and the bike will be relatively upright on the sidestand - prone to a tip over if not careful.

Seavoyage screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 06:24 PM Reason: add info
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
revrandy OP
The Riding Rev.

Awesome thank you. That is exactly the directions I was looking for.

I know now what my weekend plans are with respect to the bike.