ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Green427 OP
Comfortably Dumb
 
Green427's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cooch's Bridge Battlefield
Oddometer: 1,073
Let's see your built/WIP scale models

Mine are mostly 1/24 & 1/25 vehicles. Most are works-in-progress, but here are some of them. If you have any, post pics! Airplanes, ships, etc, are welcome!






1965 Vette with custom parts & paint, including photo-etched emblems, license plate frame, bare-metal foil trim, etc. Took me a couple years to build this, about 95% complete:


















1955 Chevy pickup (currently working on this one), will be painted in Boyd's Custom Blue:












Built this super stock Dodge Coronet years ago:











'51 Chevy street rod, in progress for 8 years now. Still haven't touch it.


















'74 Dodge Dart 340....my neighbor had one that I loved, and I am trying to make it look exactly like his. Note the plastic fascia behind the front bumper, it is grey, exactly like the real thing.









__________________
2011 DL650A
Green427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: petoskey,michigan
Oddometer: 1,301
Where are my firecrackers? My dad used to build really nice ww2 models, then a few would come up missing, he was not happy. Car looks nice wish I still had some of those models, kids.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
ghostryder
made it
 
ghostryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 5,548
Nice work
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
Mr. J
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: northeast coast
Oddometer: 9,655
" ... in progress for 8 years now. Still haven't touch it."


these things (hobbies) take on a life of their own. i have boxed kits from 20 years ago that i'll get around to building 'some day'. nice looking.
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,436
Not as nice as yours, but my second model that I built. Paint came out very good I thought.



I then got into something a bit more fun.

How it arrived:



When I was done:

__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Green427 OP
Comfortably Dumb
 
Green427's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cooch's Bridge Battlefield
Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
" ... in progress for 8 years now. Still haven't touch it."


these things (hobbies) take on a life of their own. i have boxed kits from 20 years ago that i'll get around to building 'some day'. nice looking.
True dat.

If you have any unbuilt car kits and want to sell them, please let me know....especially any American cars from the '60s and '70's.


Thanks to all for the compliments.
__________________
2011 DL650A
Green427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Green427 OP
Comfortably Dumb
 
Green427's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cooch's Bridge Battlefield
Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Not as nice as yours, but my second model that I built. Paint came out very good I thought.
Looks good to me, great pics. I haven't built an airplane since I was a kid back in the '70's and they disappeared during one of our many moves.
__________________
2011 DL650A
Green427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
HalcyonDaze
Great Unwashed Mass
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: High Lonesome, Moran Nation
Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
That's a really nice looking plane, is it what they call an ARF? Electric? Been thinking about getting into RC flying but don't know much about it. Always did control line as a kid. Where did you get it?
__________________
Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
HalcyonDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDaze View Post
That's a really nice looking plane, is it what they call an ARF? Electric? Been thinking about getting into RC flying but don't know much about it. Always did control line as a kid. Where did you get it?
Thanks. Yeah this was an ARF, or almost ready to fly. Just had to add servos, esc, motor, prop, and radio gear. I also added landing gear from the e-flite super cub, and du-bro bush wheels. The model itself is a CMP clipped wing cub. About 4' wingspan. I got it from hobbyking.com when they had them in stock in their US warehouse for $50. It was totaled on it's 5th flight when the battery disconnected itself and I lost all control and watched it stall then crash into the ground. Balsa is not easy to repair, so I just replaced it with a new plane. I am building the CMP Super Cub also from hobbyking. Its the same fuselage but 6' wingspan, and flaps. It ran me about $120 for the ARF, and I am re-using the electronics from the wrecked plane.

For a starter, I would recommend a foam trainer. Foam can be glued together with gorilla glue you pick up at Lowe's. Easy crash repair. Around 4.5' wingspan is a good size. I had a 4 channel cessna 182 that I taught myself on. I really recommend getting a Spektrum DX6i radio. You can get a USB cable to connect it to your computer and then use it on a RC flight simulator. I used clearview because it happened to have my plane in it. After 3 days flying on the sim and taxiing the plane around the neighborhood I figured I was ready to fly and took it for a spin. I got it in the air and at altitude. I was able to trim it and then started shooting approaches until I was able to pull off a full stop landing. I flew about 3 more times all with full stop landings before I was done for the day.

As a disclaimer, I have been around airplanes since I can remember. I have time in single engine piston aircraft, and tons of sim time. It was easy for me to pick up but YMMV. I suggest finding a club and joining. They will help you select a plane and train you. Many clubs however, are big fans of gas and not electric. You need to make that choice for yourself.
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler
 
azcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 707
Nice! I was really into building scale models back in high school. I was obsessed with B-17s at the time and built one that resembled the Memphis Belle from the movie around that time. I knew it was a Hollywood fabrication. But it was fun to watch the film and write down all of the damage, then try to replicate that on the scale model. It was pretty impressive.

Also built a replica of my 1965 Mustang, down to the correct and rare color. I ordered the paint through one of my Mustang parts catalogs so it was an exact match. That was a fun car to build.

No photos of anything, though.
__________________
1981 BMW r65 - Photos
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,294
One of my best buddies Grand father was a real pro at building scale RC Aircraft. He won many awards doing it. He took one on as a long project, a 1/5th (HUGE) scale F6F with such detail they were due to use it in a Movie. It took him about 8 years to build. The motor alone cost like $8000.00. Well, he finished it and went out for the test flight and crashed it straight into the ground at almost full throttle. He began another build two days later.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
One of my best buddies Grand father was a real pro at building scale RC Aircraft. He won many awards doing it. He took one on as a long project, a 1/5th (HUGE) scale F6F with such detail they were due to use it in a Movie. It took him about 8 years to build. The motor alone cost like $8000.00. Well, he finished it and went out for the test flight and crashed it straight into the ground at almost full throttle. He began another build two days later.
I saw a video of a corsair once that was an awesome RC airplane. It was huge and had a scale radial engine. It even had folding wings. The video turned away from the plane right before the wings folded mid flight. As you can imagine, it went right into the ground. They showed the plane being brought back in, and it was just a pile of toothpicks. The engines case was even cracked as well as a couple pistons.
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
a$$hole
Studly Adventurer
 
a$$hole's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: DFW
Oddometer: 914
Here's a truck I made last year. I built the bumpers, stacks, rear fenders, sun visor, and stretched it too.

a$$hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #14
HalcyonDaze
Great Unwashed Mass
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: High Lonesome, Moran Nation
Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post

For a starter, I would recommend a foam trainer. Foam can be glued together with gorilla glue you pick up at Lowe's. Easy crash repair. Around 4.5' wingspan is a good size. I had a 4 channel cessna 182 that I taught myself on. I really recommend getting a Spektrum DX6i radio. You can get a USB cable to connect it to your computer and then use it on a RC flight simulator. I used clearview because it happened to have my plane in it. After 3 days flying on the sim and taxiing the plane around the neighborhood I figured I was ready to fly and took it for a spin. I got it in the air and at altitude. I was able to trim it and then started shooting approaches until I was able to pull off a full stop landing. I flew about 3 more times all with full stop landings before I was done for the day.
I appreciate the advice and will heed it. Thanks for taking the time!
__________________
Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
HalcyonDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #15
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by a$$hole View Post
Here's a truck I made last year. I built the bumpers, stacks, rear fenders, sun visor, and stretched it too.

Dude. Awesome. I really like the model semi trucks. I thought about building one, but I got into the RC stuff and stopped building model kits. I really enjoyed it. I think when I am done building my current plane I am going to go back to models.
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014