Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #46
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
You can go bigger than that, and stay close to 5k lbs. I just bought this:

28ft, slider, 5400 dry. Offers quite a bit that you don't get at 23ft, and is still WAY under what you want to tow.

http://www.cruiserrv.com/shadow-crui...s/gallery.html

Trailers have gotten quite a bit lighter over the last 10 years or so, relative to size.
Trailers have gotten lighter, however.......

Dry weight doesn't factor in many things like ac, awning, propane, battery etc. Then you add your weight distribution hitch, food, utensels, water in tanks, bedding, clothing, fishing gear, blocks of wood for levelling, bikes, lawn chairs, generator, beer, couple kids etc. You can easily be towing over 7k.
Not only would you be closing in on the max of some 1/2 tons, but also nearing the gvwr of the trailer.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #47
Tudelum48 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
I am going to buy a Load Leveling Hitch or what ever is the latest and greatest when I buy a TT. Like I said I never owned a TT so the hitch will be new to me. The Prodigy 2 seems like a good unit to go with and Im glad to hear its plug and play with a few adjustments.
Thanks for all the input. I havent led a sheltered life. I have experiance dragging stuff around on trailers more than I care to comment on. Thats why Im pretty well decided on staying below 5K on weight and 22-23 on length. When things go wrong it happens fast on the road. And I really dont want a big TT. Just something small to pull behind my 1/2 ton 4x4 with factory tow package. I use my truck alot more for other stuff than towing a TT.
I guess the best question I could have asked is not which to buy but which brands to stay away from?
There are just so many to choose from. I wanted to try and weed out some of them. Unless I just pick out a real Lemon I will probably keep this thing awhile.

How do you know if they are rated 4 season's ? Are certain brands all 4 seasons?
Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #48
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaYolk View Post
As soon as we drove off the lot, in Seattle, we noticed people flipping us off. Its been keyed twice. I've learned to check for the screws and nails that oddly appear propped under the tiers in parking lots. Yep.The only problem we had with the RV life was from buying a rig that was not PC enough for the brain dead, green zealots populating our country.
I don't usually get too genuinely angry about stuff these days, but hearing this kind of thing will do it.

Bunch of fucking hypocrites.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #49
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,482
In Alaska, we saw a diesel pusher, at least a 40'+ super RV. Behind it, a bright yellow H2. I always figured the Hummer was a backup tow vehicle for their RV.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #50
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudelum48 View Post
How do you know if they are rated 4 season's ? Are certain brands all 4 seasons?
Not sue if any rv is really 4 season. Certain brands will have options of an insulated floor and heating around tanks that would certainly make it a full 3 season.

Forest River , Keystone, and Jayco are popular, good brands. FR will have several different names under them like Rockwood, Flagstaff, wildwood etc with various level of quality. Same for Keystone with Outback, Bullet, Cougar, Springdale etc. Jayco just makes Jayco.

Each manufacture will have a few in your size with a few different floor plans, will only a few models having the warmer floors.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #51
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudelum48 View Post
I am going to buy a Load Leveling Hitch or what ever is the latest and greatest when I buy a TT. Like I said I never owned a TT so the hitch will be new to me. The Prodigy 2 seems like a good unit to go with and Im glad to hear its plug and play with a few adjustments.
Thanks for all the input. I havent led a sheltered life. I have experiance dragging stuff around on trailers more than I care to comment on. Thats why Im pretty well decided on staying below 5K on weight and 22-23 on length. When things go wrong it happens fast on the road. And I really dont want a big TT. Just something small to pull behind my 1/2 ton 4x4 with factory tow package. I use my truck alot more for other stuff than towing a TT.
I guess the best question I could have asked is not which to buy but which brands to stay away from?
There are just so many to choose from. I wanted to try and weed out some of them. Unless I just pick out a real Lemon I will probably keep this thing awhile.

For around $20 more, I'd go with the latest tech and get the Prodigy P3, it the newest and it allows the user to switch between Electric and Electric Over Hydraulic brakes. The Arctic Fox line is considered a 4 season TT. For example, the entire bottom is sealed and the heating ducts in the floor run around the holding tanks to keep them from freezing.

Bottom line, check insulation R values in specs and evaluate brands.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #52
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Trailers have gotten lighter, however.......

Dry weight doesn't factor in many things like ac, awning, propane, battery etc. Then you add your weight distribution hitch, food, utensels, water in tanks, bedding, clothing, fishing gear, blocks of wood for levelling, bikes, lawn chairs, generator, beer, couple kids etc. You can easily be towing over 7k.
Not only would you be closing in on the max of some 1/2 tons, but also nearing the gvwr of the trailer.
right, that dry weight doesn't include many things. But when comparing trailer to trailer, dry weight is apples to apples.

Point being, you can get a 28 footer for the weight of a 24 footer 10-15 years ago.

Assuming you dont tow with full water and grey tanks, and dont have the thing jam packed, will be under 7k. Most trailers in that range have a GVWR of approx 7500lbs, so unless you are overloading the trailer, you are well within range of most modern half-tons.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #53
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
right, that dry weight doesn't include many things. But when comparing trailer to trailer, dry weight is apples to apples.

Point being, you can get a 28 footer for the weight of a 24 footer 10-15 years ago.

Assuming you dont tow with full water and grey tanks, and dont have the thing jam packed, will be under 7k. Most trailers in that range have a GVWR of approx 7500lbs, so unless you are overloading the trailer, you are well within range of most modern half-tons.
Just to add...and under the hitch weight. My AF has a GVWR of 7500, and a hitch weight of 595lbs. The hitch weight of a 5th wheel is why only the smallest of them can be safely towed by a 1/2 T truck.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #54
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
This is a "pop out" so it should be able to be here

Anyone know anything about '07 Starcraft 21

It has 2 pull out queen beds

Looks new. Has a "slide out dinette and couch"

One owner. Always in a carport. He says very lightly used and looks new. I think I can get it for 8k'ish

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #55
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

I'm doing the below bike race (Cheaha Challenge-highest point in Alabama) and want something to camp in for training rides for me and my buddies.

http://www.cheahachallenge.com/centu...e_profile.html

Old 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #56
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 411
Ken,

Check the condition of the trailer around that large front hatch. Those hybrid trailers sometimes have funky seals and water can intrude along that large piece of wood, especially at 65mph. Look for delamination or water stains. Water in the walls is bad

Eric
eric1514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #57
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
This is a "pop out" so it should be able to be here

Anyone know anything about '07 Starcraft 21

It has 2 pull out queen beds

One owner. Always in a carport. He says very lightly used and looks new. I think I can get it for 8k'ish
That's not a little light camper....that's a small house!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #58
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Nice unit. I rented on similar to that about 5 years ago, but without the slide. Very livable. Was even able to tow it with a V6 Explorer.

Be sure to fold the tent ends down. If they were packed up even damp, that vinyl gets moldy fast.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #59
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Ken,

Check the condition of the trailer around that large front hatch. Those hybrid trailers sometimes have funky seals and water can intrude along that large piece of wood, especially at 65mph. Look for delamination or water stains. Water in the walls is bad

Eric
Thanks! Those tent pop outs kinda scare me

This toy shopping started with the idea of a little "pop up" for under 5k. Then you start looking and researching and there are some really REALLY cool trailers out there. I am so screwed

Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #60
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Be sure to fold the tent ends down. If they were packed up even damp, that vinyl gets moldy fast.

And I live in Alabama where it can rain for 2-3 weeks at a time. Hard to dry out. I may keep looking for one without the tents.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: