User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Undertheoaks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Question Checking water pump seal ?

Just curious if there is any way to check the water pump seal on my 07 990 Adventure without draining the expensive fresh oil to look at the filter to see if it's pleated ? Just rebuilt my water pump with the kit from KTM Twins and been riding it approx. 400 miles no problem but noticed my coolant level dropped about a 1/4 to 1/2 on the overflow catch tank. Im running the expensive waterless Blue Ice coolant and again it's expensive, I know it's cheeper then a engine rebuild but thought I'd check here first. I was thinking of laying the bike on it's side then pulling the oil filter ?

Undertheoaks screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 12:54 PM
Undertheoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertheoaks View Post
Just curious if there is any way to check the water pump seal without draining the expensive fresh oil to look at the filter to see if it's pleated ? Just rebuilt my water pump with the kit from KTM Twins and been riding it approx. 400 miles no problem but noticed my coolant level dropped about a 1/4 to 1/2 on the overflow catch tank. Im running the expensive waterless Blue Ice coolant and again it's expensive, I know it's cheeper then a engine rebuild but thought I'd check here first. I was thinking of laying the bike on it's side then pulling the oil filter ?

It's often that the Res bottle will drop a bit on a fresh drain and refill. At least it often does on my bikes. I'd just top it off again and keep going.

If you are worried about the filter. You can drop the skid plate, Put the bike on it's sidestand and just pull the oil filter cover off. Inspect the filter. Very little oil loss. It's not connected to the main sump or oil tank.

There is no way to "Check" the seal as it's damaged when you pull it out.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Undertheoaks OP
Adventurer

Ok thanks, when I bought the bike the seal was leaking and I didn't know until I did a oil change and the filter was pleated pretty bad. I think I'll go with the stainless steel Scott's filter next time.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Ok thanks, when I bought the bike the seal was leaking and I didn't know until I did a oil change and the filter was pleated pretty bad. I think I'll go with the stainless steel Scott's filter next time.
That there seems like a pretty good reason to use the paper filters to me, for an indicator of WP failure. Of course a fancy CJ Designs clutch cover helps too!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
What effect does waterless coolant have on the lubricating properties of the oil? It would be a shame to ruin the motor next time the waterpump seal leaks coolant into the oil.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
If you are worried about the filter. You can drop the skid plate, Put the bike on it's sidestand and just pull the oil filter cover off. Inspect the filter. Very little oil loss. It's not connected to the main sump or oil tank.
I dont like doing this as debris from the filter can enter the oil gallery. Better off loosing a bit of oil which carries debris out of the motor with it....
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,075
Quote:

Bad move IMHO.

Filter pleats are best at indicating water in oil.
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
That there seems like a pretty good reason to use the paper filters to me, for an indicator of WP failure. Of course a fancy CJ Designs clutch cover helps too!
I completely agree and the reason I run Paper on all my bikes.

The covers help too, or so I'm told.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
If You Lay The Bike Down On The Left Side, You Can Pop The Clutch Cover. IF You SeE White...

KTM 950SE, KTM450exc, WR262, XR100

SA Trip: http://profundoenel.wordpress.com

My Spot Page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...VRxGZhKdq5PNll
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
I dont like doing this as debris from the filter can enter the oil gallery. Better off loosing a bit of oil which carries debris out of the motor with it....
I think I screwed up. The filter is on the Left side of the engine. Putting the bike on the side stand will allow oil to drain out of FILTER cavity. You won't loose much though. Debris should rest at Bottom, not forced into engine.

I normally don't have much debris Falling off the paper filter. Even when I cut it open and spread the pleats to inspect. I do this at Oil changes, but not if I'm doing an After water pump check up. Oil should be fresh, and paper filter should trap small debris. Big Chunks, should not get past the Sump filter. (Long black Plastic)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
I completely agree and the reason I run Paper on all my bikes.

The covers help too, or so I'm told.

viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #12
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,718
Put in a new wp seal every 20k miles or every other year/every other valve adjust and you'll be good.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #13
Subutai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
I think I screwed up. The filter is on the Left side of the engine. Putting the bike on the side stand will allow oil to drain out of FILTER cavity. You won't loose much though. Debris should rest at Bottom, not forced into engine.
You can lean the bike against something so that the engine is slightly leaning to the right. This way when you remove the filter cover you should get very little to none oil spilling. Of course there will be some coming out with the filter.

You could siphon some out from filling hole and inspect it, but small amounts of water would be hard to detect this way, because there should be little to no emulsion accumulation.

I also prefer paper filters, cheap and makes problems like this easy to detect.
Subutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Undertheoaks OP
Adventurer

Thanks I think I'll continue running the paper filter. Plus I topped the overflow off I will ride it this Wed to see if it drops any farther.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Put in a new wp seal every 20k miles or every other year/every other valve adjust and you'll be good.
+1 here. I actually change mine every year, nice winter project. Since buying CJ's rebuild kit with the hardened shaft (go easy on me) I think I will be doing every two years from now on. Just installed my clear clutch cover too!!