Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
JustaMushroom OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Saigon on a Vespa

Hello all,

Heading to HCMC in march. Looking for tips on rentals, day trips (plan on staying 3 nights in Saigon) then fling to Hanoi to see the Bay etc. want to rent/ride as much as possible. Going with wide and 2 kids 7 and 8. I'm experienced and wifey not so much. Vespa, scooters 125cc max. Anyone on the know where to stay, what to see and bring, but more importantly where to rent from!!!!!!

Shroom
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
KiwiRider1971
Ngati in the wind

Oddometer: 5
Saigon Maddness

Hey dude I have a few contacts that I'll flick over to you when I find them for scooter rental in and around Saigon... I'd strongly suggest that you find the wife and kids a nice aircon van with a driver because Ho Chi is crazy x 10000000 for traffic... Ive done it a few times and its a head game... hot loud and no road signs About one hour by ferry from Saigon is a place called Vung Tau, nice locals and better rides along the coast and in the hills. Safer for the Missus and kids.

Enjoy
Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
KiwiRider1971
Ngati in the wind

Oddometer: 5
If your still keen on doing some riding just out of HCMC take a ferry to Vung Tau once your off the ferry follow the road along the water to your right with the water at your back and about 300m a long the road you will find Bellys restaurant and bar... Belly has good food, cold beer and rents scooters with very little hassle at around $10 USD per day. Ph: 064 3856305 he can also help you out with good accommodation in the area.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587
Well, old post so you may be in VN already but anyway:

There are a number of small bike rental shops in the Pham Ngu Lao (backpacker street) area of HCMC although not necessarily on Pham Ngu Lao itself. Just pick whichever one you like. I'd recommend getting an international driving permit (IDP): it is completely useless as a driving permit, but some rental shops may like some form of official looking document to leave as security. An IDP fits the bill as it is useless for everything else, so no bother if you never get it back.

I don't think you will find a Vespa as these are expensive. You will find a lot of Yamahas and Hondas in the 100-125cc range either fully automatic or manual with an automatic clutch. They vary in quality, some being almost new and some a heap of junk.

I think the traffic in HCMC is no problem. I lived there and travelled by bike every day for 3 years and I never had a problem or an accident. I would however stand by the side of the road at a large intersection for 1/2 hour and watch how the traffic works before you get on a bike. The traffic, despite initial chaotic appearances, is actually very organised and predictable.... it just follows different rules than in the western world.

Easter Mekong Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329194

Streets of Vietnam
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335816

Current bike: 2008 Honda CBF-600
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Thumb riding in HCMC and VN

Be sure you figure out your fuel requirements, too. Gas stations are not on every other corner in the cities. On the highway they are rather far apart, but if you fill up when you see a station on the highway, you'll be fine. Most scooters there are 49cc because of licensing laws fpr the locals. Some are the next level up (100cc or less), then it jumps to 149cc or less with a huge jump in license requirements to ride anything 150cc and over. Last year I was told there are over 3 million scooters in Hanoi and Saigon had even more from what I saw! DO get van and driver for your wife and kids. They'll be able to see more and be far more comfortable. I think you might enjoy the riding in the country more than in the cities. I sure did. PM me if you want info on a local friend there who can set you up reliably with just about anything you want - a van & driver, hotels, breakfast and dinner - the whole deal very inexpensively. He set it up for two of us to ride in a Mercedes van from Hanoi to Saigon, including a fabulous private catered boat tour of Ha Long Bay, stops in Hue, Khe Sanh, DaNang, Hoi Anh (don't miss this it), Nha Trang (don't miss it), and many other places, including a bus tour from Saigon to Cambodia (Siem Reap, Angkor Wat, Phnom Penh) and back, then the flight back to Hanoi for anouther few days. All that excursion? About $1500 per adult - total - plus our drinks, trinkets, scuba diving, massages, etc. Only two of us on the trip except for the Cambodian bus trip which had 20. I'd advise this: Get scooters to ride in various places - not all the way from one end of the country to the other when packing a young family along. Safer, smarter, more fun, less hassle and far less worry. And slow speed limits over long distances takes forever.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote