ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #166
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Check with toddler or cross-country. They did it last spring.
But have you seen the lights on Cross-Country's bike

I have lumen envy...
Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #167
B1KSOLO
1 down 4 up right?

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiMhi View Post
Riding it in the day would take 5-8 hrs. There are lots of trails in very close proximity so even with a GPS you will be chasing your tail a bit, and besides you will miss the scenery. Also you will most likely go over a couple ledges that you dont want to. If you plan on going that fast, you cant team the ride since mixing dust and darkness is dangerous so you will be solo - who will call the $35K medivac?

On the other hand that sounds like fun and if you are a safe rider, not racing for time and have about 5000 lumens, sure it can be done, but it will be like day out there anyways . Maybe someone else with more night experience will chime in, I know there are lots of guys doing this to one-up each other.

Just my 2 cents.
Not trying to break any speed records I just thought a 24 mph was sain but a 18 mph would be fun also (7.72 hour) just trying to do the night thing a little more this year and i'm trying to figure what time you need to leave so you can get there for 7 AM breakfast
Dave
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #168
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
We rode it at night last spring. Riding to Moab is preferable. Rose Garden hill at night could be a deal breaker.
The total ride should take about 6-8 hours if you don't stop a lot. Most of it is dirt road. Getting lost will be your biggest challenge.

Riding solo would be your fine. There will be plenty of traffic the next day to find you if something bad happens...

I suspect the upper portion will still be snowed in towards the end of March. This will make it shorter and easier by riding Onion creek back to the river road.

Good luck!

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #169
B1KSOLO
1 down 4 up right?

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
We rode it at night last spring. Riding to Moab is preferable. Rose Garden hill at night could be a deal breaker.
The total ride should take about 6-8 hours if you don't stop a lot. Most of it is dirt road. Getting lost will be your biggest challenge.

Riding solo would be your fine. There will be plenty of traffic the next day to find you if something bad happens...

I suspect the upper portion will still be snowed in towards the end of March. This will make it shorter and easier by riding Onion creek back to the river road.

Good luck!
I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm thinking late May with a bud that's a little better with the gps than myself, I been known to get lost and not stop till I hit water LOL
thanks for the info on the run time
Dave
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #170
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
But have you seen the lights on Cross-Country's bike

I have lumen envy...

No one has worse lights than me....on my stock, XR650R. I really need to rewind the stator and add some "beastly" desert, night lights. But don't have them now...

By the way, no night time riding planned for this outing.

Riding down Sheep Creek last fall in the dark was an experience....

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #171
LaurieD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Thumb Support Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Having a support truck makes it nice, gas at Dewey bridge, then clothes and stuff when you get to Moab. A good support truck driver will also cook up some chow at Dewey Bridge.
Well, I guess you don't get to have a "good" support truck driver - you have to settle for moi

LOGISTICS
-I'll have my riding gear plus SgtMarty's and my camping gear plus whatever food/coolers/etc. we'll need for Dewey's Bridge and Moab in the Tahoe. We'll add as much of other peoples' gear as we can stuff in (any overflow can be wrapped in a tarp and strapped to the trailer).
-Trailer has 3 bike slots; my bike will be in 1 slot, 2 will be spare in case we need to haul a bike (breakdown or injury for instance). If there are several non-plated bikes, you probably will want to have your own plan for getting them all the way into Moab. Trailer will also carry gas (plus overflow gear if necessary).
-If someone's SO will be coming and will want to ride with me please let me know ASAP - I promise we won't strap THEM to the trailer

DEWEY'S BRIDGE
-Gas - please mark your can in some way so we can sort them out at the end - if you are riding a two-stroke and have a can with gas/oil mix please mark it clearly
-Food - I was thinking water plus Gatorade and/or fruit juice plus sandwich makings (bread/meat/cheese/condiments) plus fruit and/or energy bars but am open to considering other suggestions as long as it doesn't involve me cooking
-I will need to know that all riders have gone through so I can go on to Moab, so we'll need some sort of check-in list or something - or else agree to a cut off time if you don't like the check in idea
-Marty will probably have some tools in the Tahoe as well as on his bike - I'm not much of a mechanic but I can hold stuff and make approving noises as you work on your bike
- From Dewey's I'll head to the Moab campground unless we agree on a different end of ride meet point

SUNDAY RETURN
-I'm willing to go back through Fruita to drop gear at the campground - if you want it in a locked vehicle we'll need to make arrangements for me to have a key and then get the key back to you - or maybe the nice man at the campground would be willing to hold your stuff and/or your key (please make those arrangements with him and let me know)
-Another option is we haul it to Larkspur and hold it until you make arrangements for pick-up/drop-off/whatever.

So - questions? suggestions? comments?
LaurieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #172
ktmdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Many thanks to Lauri for driving Amd transporting hear. My concerns are about the return trip and will the Milage be shorter so we will not need a fuel drop at Dewey
bridge
03 600 Katana
01 KTM 200 exc wifes plated
ktmdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #173
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieD View Post
........moi

Moi is good......Moi is great!!!!!!

You are greatly appreciated, Laurie.

I only wish that BrownEyedSuzanne could join you in the support vehicle, hauling her 250...... but she is in San Diego for a conference this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieD View Post
SUNDAY RETURN
-I'm willing to go back through Fruita
We were pondering a different route back on Sunday, over to Gateway and up Sheep Creek....through Lost Horse Basin....etc...to Fruita.....

But, I am really concerned about the snow and ice in the shady areas....in those locations above 7k feet. So, at this point, I am thinking we will 'back-track'.....avoid a climb over RoseGarden.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #174
TheMightyQuinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
The first time I did the Koko it was in late March. There was snow in the mountains West of RGH. I had to back track down Onion Creek and take the highway into Moab.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #175
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
I admit, I'm no RideFreak when it comes to riding OR making videos, but here's 4 minutes of the Koko trail near Rabbit Valley from yesterday.

Thanks to John and Matt for organizing and to Laurie for running a sag vehicle for this ride. My bike's not exactly set up to be a mule, but I've been wanting to do the Kokopelli ride for awhile. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #176
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Great video to show that the whole trip isn't a Rose Garden experience. Some fun desert cruising as well!!!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #177
janliness
Battery Discharger

Oddometer: 70
One more sag vehicle...

My SO, Jennifer (no moto or handle here) is IN!!! What that means is that I'll need another bunk in Fruita, Mac, and but we'll be just fine in Moab with a tent spot. But she'll be bringing the Jeep into Moab with Lewi, our black lab. She'll be able to help at the Dewey Bridge meet spot with gas and food so she can definitely help Laurie out!

It looks like Saturday we'll be rockhounding from the Jeep. There's a pretty good chance we'll be in the Yellowcat area looking for the famous Yellowcat redwood (petrified). That opens up the possibility of us being a lunch stop out there.

In addition, I could take one additional motorcycle, as I've been able to borrow a trailer from a fellow inmate
janliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #178
ktmdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Mac I can give up my bunk spot in Fruita and stay in the back of my truck which is set up well for this. As long as I get the code for the shower I am good.
03 600 Katana
01 KTM 200 exc wifes plated
ktmdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #179
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Fruita update - only 2 more bunks left!

Bunks: $13 (22 March only) - 16 total
Parking: $9 for all three nights (22-25 March).

01 - Big_John (bunk / park#1)
02 - blbiker56 (bunk only)
03 - ScramblerDavis (bunk / park#2)
04 - Mac (bunk only)
05 - larkBRP (bunk)
06 - sgtMarty (bunk only)
07 - laurieD (bunk only)
08 - BuilderScott (bunk / park#3)
09 - bikespikespeak.com (bunk / park#4)
10 - ktmdoc (bunk / park#5)
11 - davehagood (bunk only)
12 - prstone50 (bunk / park#6)
13 - janliness (bunk)
14 - jennifer [jan's+1] (bunk)
15 -
16 -

Send me a PM to join or change this list. Cancellations OK on this list until 1200, on 20 March.

Site is http://www.monumentrvresort.com/ - don't contact directly, since I've blocked out and reserved our space already.

This list is just for a cheap rack and a parking spot in Fruita. Includes campground style showers and restrooms, on Thursday and Sunday. We'll adjust the Moab campground arrangement as we get closer.

Note you can still join this ride and make your own arrangements as you wish.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #180
2tall2
In search of Grumps

Oddometer: 51
"IN" Sounds like a great ride, did it several years ago and ready for more! Big John please put me in for one person and one old Honda. I sent you a PM, if you don't get it (my internet connection sucks) please PM me. Thanks

2tall2 screwed with this post 02-21-2012 at 11:41 AM Reason: to put in "IN"
2tall2 is offline   Reply With Quote