ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #181
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,969
That's a great video The viewers really get a feel for the ride and the area. I think it was well done! Your bike looked like it was doing pretty well. I want to see more.

I need to do that ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderScott View Post
I admit, I'm no RideFreak when it comes to riding OR making videos, but here's 4 minutes of the Koko trail near Rabbit Valley from yesterday.

Thanks to John and Matt for organizing and to Laurie for running a sag vehicle for this ride. My bike's not exactly set up to be a mule, but I've been wanting to do the Kokopelli ride for awhile. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #182
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
COHVCO Director at Large - Website Facebook
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC

Mac screwed with this post 02-22-2012 at 01:25 PM
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #183
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,863
Thanks Mac....I really appreciate the help. Seems my ADVRider time this week is between 11:30-12 midnight. I am busy as heck.

We do need to start a discussion about food. Namely, what does everyone want to do for breakfast and dinner while at Moab? I suppose the support rigs could haul an ice box or two, to haul some fixins to cook.

What's everyone's opinion?
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #184
SgtMarty
Retired, baby!

Oddometer: 1,537
We'll have a mid-sized cooler in the Tahoe.

COHVCO #6391 AMA #2800236
SgtMarty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #185
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

I'm planning on minimal use of support vehicles, except for fuel. So, I'm going to haul freeze-dried and will augment with restaurants.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #186
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I'm planning on minimal use of support vehicles, except for fuel. So, I'm going to haul freeze-dried and will augment with restaurants.
x2
I'll be doing the same. Freeze dried dinners and oats for breakfast. Will plan on supporting myself essentially. I am currently looking into (but probably happening) davehagood and I staying overnight Sunday in Moab as well. So we wouldn't be returning with you all and I would need one more day of parking Mac. I assume that isn't a problem and I just pay for an extra day? Once I get that all ironed out I can paypal you some money.

Another question I had since this will be my first time out there... what can we expect for temp. range? I know it's probably hard to predict...but do we want to be prepared to ride in really cold as well as hot?
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #187
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
x2
I'll be doing the same. Freeze dried dinners and oats for breakfast. Will plan on supporting myself essentially. I am currently looking into (but probably happening) davehagood and I staying overnight Sunday in Moab as well. So we wouldn't be returning with you all and I would need one more day of parking Mac. I assume that isn't a problem and I just pay for an extra day? Once I get that all ironed out I can paypal you some money.

Another question I had since this will be my first time out there... what can we expect for temp. range? I know it's probably hard to predict...but do we want to be prepared to ride in really cold as well as hot?
I will do this as well. So, everyone is truly on their own for all meals.

Temps.....very hard to predict. Two weeks ago some guys rode a bit of the Kokopelli and had great conditions.....and then this last week, the trail got a good bit of snow. We expect the conditions in late March to be really good, but the temps could be between 20 degrees at night to 70 degrees during a warm day.......dry conditions, to rain or snow. You need to come prepared.

Yes, if anyone wants to stay an extra night in Moab, then you all can grab one of the sites and split the cost. Connect with Mac for accomidations in Fruita.

With 15-20 riders participating, we will ride in small groups. No one should be solo.....and I want the ride groups to be no larger than 4-5. (Big groups = dust.....not fun) Of course if their is moisture on the trail, then we might be able to head out in a large group......with the faster riders moving out front and the slower ones (picture takers) bringing up the rear.

I do think it would be 'way cool' if we could all meet somewhere (top of the world maybe)......it would be fun to take a group picture.

Also, this ride is completely voluntary. You are riding at your own risk. You ride what you want and you decline if you don't want to ride it. You are responsible for yourself and your bike. Neither myself or anyone on this thread is liable for anything bad that may happen to you.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #188
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
x2

An extra day of parking won't be an issue. We can work that minor change out later on. You don't need to have the parking on the long end solved now. Once in Fruita, I'll just let them know some people may stay an extra night in parking, and you can just settle up with the site directly, for the extra night on Monday (or whenever).

Also for everyone - note that we'll have full and free use of the showers at the Fruita campground when we return. So, you may want to bring a real towel or two to leave in your trucks.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #189
The Rizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
IN. I have the timeoff arranged and would love to join.

Big John, please count me in for a tent in Moab for Friday and Saturday.

Mac, I will need parking for my 4runner. Can I sleep in the car Thursday night or should I just take one of the bunk spots (I'd prefer to stay in my car if I can still get shower access)?

Sold, stolen, or totalled: 2009 Street Triple, 2005.5 950 Adventure, 2003 DRZ400e, 2000 DR650, 2004 KLR650, 2003 DRZ400s, 2002 DRZ400s, 2003 FZ1, 1998 VFR800, 1996 Ninja 250 race bike, 2000 TL1000R, 2000 ZR7.
The Rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #190
The Rizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Tires

This trip seems like a good excuse for some new tires on the 525. Anybody have suggestions for good, cheap DOT tires for the terrain we'll be on? Thanks.

Sold, stolen, or totalled: 2009 Street Triple, 2005.5 950 Adventure, 2003 DRZ400e, 2000 DR650, 2004 KLR650, 2003 DRZ400s, 2002 DRZ400s, 2003 FZ1, 1998 VFR800, 1996 Ninja 250 race bike, 2000 TL1000R, 2000 ZR7.
The Rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #191
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rizz View Post
IN. I have the timeoff arranged and would love to join.

Big John, please count me in for a tent in Moab for Friday and Saturday.

Mac, I will need parking for my 4runner. Can I sleep in the car Thursday night or should I just take one of the bunk spots (I'd prefer to stay in my car if I can still get shower access)?

Gotcha....your on the In List. Mac will add you on the next update.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #192
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Mac screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 07:24 AM
Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #193
ScramblerDavis
aka DangerDavis

Oddometer: 93
I think I'm gonna pack out to eat in camp and do trail fixin's...kinda like ruffin' it and gettin' ready for the CAM 1000 ! You want me to pay up front or when we meet up at Fruita?
'07 Triumph Scrambler,'09 Honda XR650L,'86 Kaw.Concours,'00 BMW K1200LT
Member RMAR, COHVCO, NMOHVA, AMA
ScramblerDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #194
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScramblerDavis View Post
You want me to pay up front or when we meet up at Fruita?
Your call, either way. I know where to find you...
Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #195
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Paypal

Mac,
I just sent you $. FYI For everyone you can send it as a "gift" and there's no fee to paypal. Just click on the "personal" tab at the bottom instead of "purchase" and it will give you that option. Thanks Mac!
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote