Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #76
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,166
See and be seen. Txt'rs, stupid, talkers, geriatrics are risks aux lights or not.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #77
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,556
I didn't read the whole thread but my take on this is the older gentleman slowed because of the lights but the person behind him, who nailed him, was NOT paying attention to the road in front of them...Maybe texting, playing with the navigation system, etc., who knows. The accident was caused by the inattentive driver behind him.
What if he had slowed for a deer or a child running out in front of him. I see no difference and I'd almost put money on the outcome being the same.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #78
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
See and be seen. Txt'rs, stupid, talkers, geriatrics are risks aux lights or not.

Too bright and NOT DOT approved. Nor is the one on the KTM.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #79
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Damn! You must look like a Wurlitzer jukebox going down the road..............

Not yet...but soon.

Actually, I'm trying not to be all garish and whatnot. I'm trying to reduce wattage draw, especially if broken down without a running engine, while improving visibility from all sides with Johnny Law-approved lighting. I'd also like the bike to still look fairly stock when parked.

Have you ever noticed how little illumination there is from a sideview of most stock motos? Dualsports seem to be especially bad about this.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #80
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
No, but if I'm riding down an empty highway, and there's no-one ahead of me or behind me, and someone pulls up to turn in, and their head is looking squarely at me for several seconds never looking anywhere else, then it's pretty safe to assume they have seen me and are waiting for me to pass.
...or waiting for you to get within range.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #81
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but my take on this is the older gentleman slowed because of the lights but the person behind him, who nailed him, was NOT paying attention to the road in front of them...Maybe texting, playing with the navigation system, etc., who knows. The accident was caused by the inattentive driver behind him.
What if he had slowed for a deer or a child running out in front of him. I see no difference and I'd almost put money on the outcome being the same.
But the simple fact is that accident wouldn't have happened if the rider didn't have flashing lights.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #82
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
But the simple fact is that accident wouldn't have happened if the rider didn't have flashing lights.
True, but also true that it wouldn't have happened if the second driver had been paying attention.
I'm with you on the flashing lights though. I hate it when aproaching a motorcycle with those damn lights flashing and even worse when they run with their high beams on during the day. The Virginia riders hand book recommends doing it...Screw that!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #83
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
25 years ago (before cell phones) my buddy Don got nailed by a left turner while he was rolling with lights and siren on a KZ1000PD.

Don was a very skillful and experienced rider well before he attended the CHP motor academy. For his 16th birthday his dad bought him a bike as a step up from his Kawasaki 100... it was a 1971 TM400. He never crashed on the thing and we rode EVERYWHERE in Soledad Cyn in the early '70's.

Don clipped the left front corner of the oncoming car and nearly lost his left foot when it was trapped between the bumper and the rear crash bar. When our other buddy Mike (also on the Hawthorne PD and responding Code 3) got to him he was semi-coherent and saying "Damn, six more inches and I would of made it past her!"

Don violated one of the major rules of being a 2%er, he ASSumed that the left turner saw his flashing cop lights and heard the siren. Since he was going faster than reasonable and prudent (cops do this a lot) he didn't have that extra moment of space and time where his superior riding skill would most likely have saved him from 2 years of rehab and a lifetime limp.

Don doesn't ride on the street anymore.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #84
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Too bright
For what

Your screen?
My camera?
The sun?

Quote:

Nor is the one on the KTM.
Look more closely, get back to me.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 07:49 PM
Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #85
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post

i had a rider with a headlight modulator behind me the other day. i found it incredibly annoying.

I really don't like them.:ymca

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #86
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
For what

Your screen?
My camera?
The sun?
Perhaps other drivers or riders.

A couple of weeks ago I was riding on a 2 lane road, as I rounded a corner I encounter this bright ball of light ahead of me.

I had no idea what type of vehicle it was, how far away it was, or how fast it was moving, and I had to avert my eyes to the right fog line. When the ball of light passed I could see it was a motorcycle at the head of 8 or 10 other bikes, a mini pirate parade, with several cars stuck behind them.

Had one of the cars decided to pass, or had there been cyclists on my side of the road it could have ended up badly.

The point of additional lighting is to reduce risk, not increase it. Lights don't photograph well so I won't offer an opinion on the lights in the picture.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #87
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Too bright and NOT DOT approved.

Quote:
For what

Your screen?
My camera?
The sun?

Quote:

Lights don't photograph well so I won't offer an opinion on the lights in the picture.

If you are riding or driving 2 feet off the pavement (like how this picture was taken), then any light will be blinding.
DOT or otherwise.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #88
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
If you are riding or driving 2 feet off the pavement (like how this picture was taken), then any light will be blinding.
DOT or otherwise.
That's why I didn't offer an opinion on the lights in the picture and said "perhaps", who cares about a picture, it's real world results that matter.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #89
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Quote:
Lights don't photograph well.
precision

Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #90
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,094
Quote:

A couple of weeks ago I was riding on a 2 lane road, as I rounded a corner I encounter this bright ball of light ahead of me.

I had no idea what type of vehicle it was, how far away it was, or how fast it was moving, and I had to avert my eyes to the right fog line. When the ball of light passed I could see it was a motorcycle at the head of 8 or 10 other bikes, a mini pirate parade, with several cars stuck behind them.

Had one of the cars decided to pass, or had there been cyclists on my side of the road it could have ended up badly.

The point of additional lighting is to reduce risk, not increase it. Lights don't photograph well so I won't offer an opinion on the lights in the picture.
Exactly.

Suppose you hit a chikd because of glare or distraction from atypical lights...