ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
See - that's the thing... I currently have just the iPhone and Sena SMH10. I can listen to my music, Pandora, voice dial, I have Tomtom GPS for nav guidance -- everything works perfectly. The only things I'm looking to gain with the Zumo are a) weatherproof-ness, b) more advanced trip routing. The "multiple waypoint routing" in v1.8 of Tomtom iPhone provided just enough capability that it's more or less usable for simple routes, so I'd hate to give up all the creature comforts of the iPhone capability just to get these two things.

Thanks for everyone's inputs. I'm still on the fence on whether the Zumo benefits outweigh what I'd give up. Sena supposedly has an "A2DP hub" that's coming out in the next few months that may bring some new connection capability to the mix so I may just sit tight for now. This thread has been very helpful.

Just read the brief description of the Sena SR-10. Since you're already happy with your current set-up, looks like the SR-10 could give you the audio prompts from the Zumo just fine... you'd just have to hard wire it with a jack. Or as you said, hang tight for a more advanced hub solution.

Narsisco Lopez screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 10:08 AM
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I thought I had read something about this in the SMH10 manual so I just went back and checked... seems that this can be controlled by the SMH10 even if I can't control it from the iPhone side. Pages 9 - 10 of the SMH10 manual explain ways to control which protocol (A2DP or HFP) you use to pair to a device.

PAIRING WITH SELECTIVE PROFILE: A2DP STEREO OR HANDSFREE
If you have a MP3 stereo music phone such as a smartphone, sometimes you may
need to selectively use the SMH10 for A2DP stereo music only or for mobile phone
hands-free only. This instruction is for advanced users who want to pair the SMH10
to their smartphones only with one selective profile: A2DP Stereo for music or HFP
for phone call.
If it is not the first time to do paring with the smartphone, you have to clear the
previous paring list on both devices; the smartphone and SMH10. To clear pairing
list on SMH10, please do factory reset described on the page 16. To clear pairing
list on the smartphone, please refer to the smartphone manual.
A2DP Stereo Music Only
1. Turn on the headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED
flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Jog Dial again, then the LED turns to red flashing and
the beeps turn to double mid-tone beeps.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your smartphone. The headset will be listed on
your mobile phone as SMH10.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some smartphones may not ask for PIN.
HFP for Phone Call Only
1. Turn on the headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED
flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns to blue flashing
and the beeps turn to multiple mid-tone beeps.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your smartphone. The headset will be listed on
your mobile phone as SMH10.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some smartphones may not ask for PIN.
Great Find! It looks like with the SR10 I was planning on adding anyway, I could potentially have everything the OP did ask for. I'll set up the SMH10 for selective pairing (stereo) to the iPhone, then pair the iPhone to the SR10 for HFP. The SR10 will also handle my ham radio and (future) Montana.
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
El Gato OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek94 View Post
Great Find! It looks like with the SR10 I was planning on adding anyway, I could potentially have everything the OP did ask for. I'll set up the SMH10 for selective pairing (stereo) to the iPhone, then pair the iPhone to the SR10 for HFP. The SR10 will also handle my ham radio and (future) Montana.
Please report back -- I'd love to hear how it all works once you've got it set up.
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
I think what you are still going to run into is the fact that natively the iPhone doesn't allow you to connect to 2 different BT devices simultaneously even if one is A2DP and the other is HFP. I asked on a local forum after seeing the issues the OP ran into if anyone's iPhone, even the latest 4GS could connect to 2 different BT devices at the same time and everyone said no. I think you are going to have to jail break your iPhone do accomplish that. If you find a way around that though, definitely report back.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #20
El Gato OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Well, looks like Sena will address this with the new v4 firmware upgrade to be released next month.

http://support.senabluetooth.com/ent...motorcycle-use
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #21
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Delay?

Excellent info in this thread -- many thanks to all who have contributed.

I'm looking at an SMH-10 and an SR-10 to accomplish three things and I need to ask about an issue nobody has raised here yet: delay when the SR-10 needs to "wake up" and send signal to the SMH-10. Here's my proposed setup:

zumo 660, Valentine 1 with Remote Audio, iPhone 4, SR-10, SMH-10.

I want radar alerts, GPS directions, and am happy with how the iPhone works with my zumo (don't need music etc.) I presently connect the first two devices to a passive mixer and use Etymotic earbuds, but I'd like to cut the cord. I've read that there may be unacceptable delay with radar alerts and GPS directions if I connect like this:

V1 audio via cable to aux port on SR-10; zumo to SR-10 via BT (or cable); iPhone to zumo via BT; SR-10 to SMH-10 via BT.

I don't care about using the phone for anything but seeing/hearing an incoming call (I prefer to pull over to talk if it's important), so pairing it via the zumo is fine. It's the radar alerts that have me most worried.

All suggestions or comments welcome.

Thanks,

-dan
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

I've played around with my SR10 using a 2 way radio and the delay for it waking up isn't that bad. It might clip the first word, but its nothing crazy like a 5 second delay. Yeah, you might get a bit of delay compared to it hard wired, but I don't think its anything that you can't deal with. So from a radar detector perspective, you might miss the first beep or so. Keep in mind if anything else at that moment like the GPS is already giving directions, then the connection is already opened and you won't miss anything. The SR10 mixes all audio together so anything making audio comes over at the same time.

Another trick I figured out is you can "manually" open the connection between the headset and SR10 by doing a double tap on the PTT button on the SR10 or even the remote PTT button. So if maybe you are "playing" and want to be on high alert, you could manually open the connection for a bit so the response is immediate.

Since you don't want music and are using the iPhone through the Zumo 660, you will be fine there.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #23
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you, sir. So does the PTT button trick leave the connection active until you do something to put it back to the default settings, such as power down or do some other tap command?

This sounds promising thought it argues for wiring the 12v power lead to keep the SR-10 charging while in use. I gather that forfeits some water resistance, but may still be worth it for long rides in "playing" territory.

-dan
Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #24
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
Thank you, sir. So does the PTT button trick leave the connection active until you do something to put it back to the default settings, such as power down or do some other tap command?

This sounds promising thought it argues for wiring the 12v power lead to keep the SR-10 charging while in use. I gather that forfeits some water resistance, but may still be worth it for long rides in "playing" territory.

-dan
I need to test that out. I can't remember at the moment if it just left it open for a bit (5-10secs) before it closed or if it stayed open longer until you closed it. I know doing the double tap again will close the connection. I'm just not sure if I really ever played around to see how long the connection would stay open.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post

-dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I need to test that out. I can't remember at the moment if it just left it open for a bit (5-10secs) before it closed or if it stayed open longer until you closed it. I know doing the double tap again will close the connection. I'm just not sure if I really ever played around to see how long the connection would stay open.
I just pulled the instruction book out and checked this out. It appears it stays open until you close it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR10 Owners Manual
Users can open and close the audio channel manually. To open or close an audio channel manually, double tap the PTT button on the SR10 or the wired PTT button extension. It works in toggle mode.

When the incoming audio input level from the connected devices is not high enough to trigger the SR10 to open an audio channel or to maintain existing audio channel, users can open an audio channel manually. In this case, users have to close the audio channel and release the HFP connection manually.
So sounds like it would stay open as long as you want.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #26
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have been experimenting with some similar setups and want to warn you about one of my findings. The SR10 has a very narrow bandwidth (I recall reading somewhere that is 8 kHz), meaning it is OK for mono voice or radar alerts, but not much more. If your new Montana, like the zumo 660 and lots of other new Garmins, outputs its directions in stereo, the sound via the SR10 will be weak and garbled.

With my zumo 660 it proved to be unacceptable. The zumo paired direct to the SMH10 is loud and clear; wired to the SR10 it sounds weak and distorted.

-dan
Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #27
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

660 problem in a nutshell

For anyone with a zumo 660, here's why it can refuse to play nice with multiple bits of Sena BT gear. If you haven't read up on selective pairing, see the SMH10 manual for details.

It all boils down to this: my zumo 660 refuses to do selective paring with the SMH10. If you try to do it using A2DP, which would leave open the HFP slot for the SR10, the zumo is too "dumb" to recognize that its HFP profile will be unused and keeps reporting "Device Disconnected" followed by "Device Connected" because the A2DP profile is hooking up OK. Then the error messages just keep cycling.

I have verified all this by successfully selective pairing my iPhone via A2DP only and then pairing the SR10 using the open HFP slot on the SMH10.

This is why the new version 4 firmware is going to be so important: even though the zumo will hog both profiles in the SMH10, the firmware should allow the SMH10 to connect to a second HFP device, ie the SR10. Now I understand why the description of v4 says it will allow two HFP devices -- not A2DP. I also understand why Sena had been recommending buying a separate dongle to plug into the 660's audio out (under firmware 3.x): it effectively shuts down the zumo's dual profiles for audio and replaces it with one A2DP. I hope I don't have to go that route -- fingers crossed for v4.

-dan
Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #28
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Thanks for that update.

Wow, So we all know Garmin didn't get the Zumo 550 right by not allowing stereo over BT even though it had been out well before the 550 got released and then the 660 comes out and it has A2DP, but it can't do selective pairing.

Thankfully that could probably be fixed with a firmware update. If the Zumo 660 owners report that, maybe they'd fix that?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #29
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Coming in late to this conversation, but I've got a Zumo 660, an iPhone (alas, only 3G... haven't upgraded yet) and and a Sena SMH-10.
*snip*
What I really wish was available for the next generation Zumos? XM satellite radio and on-screen weather radar!
The Zumo 665 has the Weather and Radio. I'm using both and they work great. But like the 550 and 660 it does not do selective pairing. I gave up on the SM10 after trying various things.

I've been too busy to take a trip to test everything but for the short rides the music and WX work! I also have a bunch of music on the memory card if I want something different.

Greg

Gerg screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 06:55 AM
Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #30
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Thanks for that update.

Wow, So we all know Garmin didn't get the Zumo 550 right by not allowing stereo over BT even though it had been out well before the 550 got released and then the 660 comes out and it has A2DP, but it can't do selective pairing.

Thankfully that could probably be fixed with a firmware update. If the Zumo 660 owners report that, maybe they'd fix that?
You are very welcome and thanks for the reminder to ring Garmin's chime on this. Done.

-dan