ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #31
danham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
danham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Oddometer: 268
Garmin replied to me with an email suggesting I submit the request for selective pairing to their techies. Here's the link:

http://www.garmin.com/ideas

-dan
__________________
2009 BMW F800 ST
Never let your motorcycle take you where your brain hasn't been five seconds earlier.
danham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #32
El Gato OP
Studly Adventurer
 
El Gato's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 650
Following up: Sena finally released v4.0 of their firmware for the SMH10 today. Per the instructions it is now possible to do exactly what I'd outlined in my first post.

1) Voice control of my iPhone (including Siri, voice dialing, controlling playlist, etc.)
2) Calls to/from my iPhone
3) Music from my iPhone (both iTunes as well as Pandora)
4) Zumo interrupts with nav guidance

I opted to go with a Zumo 220 instead of the 660/665, so I should have it in a couple of days to confirm that this works as advertised.

Note that it is still not possible to have full control of the iPhone (including Siri, voice dialing, controlling playlist, etc.) and full features of the 665, including XM and MP3.
__________________
---
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #33
danham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
danham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Oddometer: 268
After trying iPhone to zumo 660 to SMH10 (with SR10 on the side channeling radar alerts), I found the phone connection was unreliable and sometimes "crashed" the system, requiring a power cycle on the SMH10 to get back to even GPS audio.

Here, per advice of Dan Kim at Sena, is my newest lashup, due to be tested tomorrow on the road (but works fine so far in the driveway):

Dan essentially says forget using multipoint pairing with a zumo 660. Here's his recommendation for my setup:

* iPhone to SMH10 as a smart phone (meaning both A2DP and HFP)
* Valentine 1 and zumo hardwired to SR10 aux ports
* SR10 multipoint paired (HFP) to SMH10

I can use voice dialing without touching my phone, answer and make calls, hear GPS directions and radar alerts. The tradeoff is that I see no caller ID of course, and phone audio shuts down both radar and GPS audio (temporarily), but I don't like to yak on the phone while riding anyway, so conversations will be very short.

Tomorrow I have a 4- to 5-hour ride planned, so that will be the real test. I'm skeptical about voice dial at speed, but we'll see.

-dan
__________________
2009 BMW F800 ST
Never let your motorcycle take you where your brain hasn't been five seconds earlier.
danham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #34
Semongtaulie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Central Bluegrass State
Oddometer: 41
Looking forward to hearing your results. I have the same set up (minus the SR10). I talked to Adam at RocketMoto a couple of days ago and he is also doing some trials to see what works. I was thinking of a BT dongle for the V1 but Adam thinks this will conflict with the A2DP from the phone or zumo. Hopefully you will get it figured out .
I know others have said it many times but I have to give props to Rocket Moto, just outstanding customer service and continued service after the sale. Doesn't get any better!!
Semongtaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #35
danham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
danham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semongtaulie View Post
Looking forward to hearing your results. I have the same set up (minus the SR10). I talked to Adam at RocketMoto a couple of days ago and he is also doing some trials to see what works. I was thinking of a BT dongle for the V1 but Adam thinks this will conflict with the A2DP from the phone or zumo. Hopefully you will get it figured out .
I know others have said it many times but I have to give props to Rocket Moto, just outstanding customer service and continued service after the sale. Doesn't get any better!!
Adam & I are swapping notes on this too. Agree fully about his expertise and excellent service.

I think he is correct about the dongle problem. The SR10 is HFP only and so doesn't have this issue. I have already had good luck with the SR10 and the V1. The only really "new" part of the above setup is the zumo being hardwired and the phone paired to the SMH10. The next few hours will tell whether it all works. I'll report back.

-dan
__________________
2009 BMW F800 ST
Never let your motorcycle take you where your brain hasn't been five seconds earlier.
danham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #36
danham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
danham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Oddometer: 268
OK, just back from a nice 220-mile run and all systems worked really well.

The phone stayed paired with the SMH10 the whole way and voice dialing, even at 80 mph in a crosswind, worked fine.

The radar detector and zumo 660, both hardwired to the SR10, got along perfectly together and were always connected to the SMH10 except when on a phone call (this is due to the SMH10's priority settings, which in a perfect world would be user-selectable).

The SR10 does sometimes clip the first syllable of GPS directions, but this did not cause any problems so far.

-dan
__________________
2009 BMW F800 ST
Never let your motorcycle take you where your brain hasn't been five seconds earlier.
danham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #37
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
OK, just back from a nice 220-mile run and all systems worked really well.

The phone stayed paired with the SMH10 the whole way and voice dialing, even at 80 mph in a crosswind, worked fine.

The radar detector and zumo 660, both hardwired to the SR10, got along perfectly together and were always connected to the SMH10 except when on a phone call (this is due to the SMH10's priority settings, which in a perfect world would be user-selectable).

The SR10 does sometimes clip the first syllable of GPS directions, but this did not cause any problems so far.

-dan
So if I read this correctly, with version 4.0 on the SMH10, you can now have multiple HFP profiles connected simultaneously (if one of those devices is the SR10)?
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #38
danham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
danham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek94 View Post
So if I read this correctly, with version 4.0 on the SMH10, you can now have multiple HFP profiles connected simultaneously (if one of those devices is the SR10)?
My understanding is that firmware v4 allows you to have two HFP profiles paired to the SMH10. I don't believe it cares whether the HFP is from an SR10 or some other device. From what I've seen so far, there are not many (maybe not even any) HFP dongles out there, so the SR10 is a logical choice, especially if you use a two-way radio, but I don't think it is the only choice.

For example, I believe you can pair a smartphone (A2DP + HFP) and a zumo 550 (selectively using only HFP) to the SMH10 simultaneously. The zumo 660 unfortunately will not do this; it always uses both A2DP and HFP, so the only remaining opening is for HFP only.

-dan
__________________
2009 BMW F800 ST
Never let your motorcycle take you where your brain hasn't been five seconds earlier.
danham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #39
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
From what I've seen so far, there are not many (maybe not even any) HFP dongles out there, so the SR10 is a logical choice, especially if you use a two-way radio, but I don't think it is the only choice.
You are correct, there aren't many BT dongles out there that do HPF only, but I do know of two someone might be able to find if so inclined. One is the Jabra A210 and the other is the Cardo BTA II. I own both of these and they were basically designed to add BT to non BT phones before it became standard. Since they are discontinued, best chance is watching ebay for one to pop up, but they are getting harder and harder to find.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #40
danham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
danham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
You are correct, there aren't many BT dongles out there that do HPF only, but I do know of two someone might be able to find if so inclined. One is the Jabra A210 and the other is the Cardo BTA II. I own both of these and they were basically designed to add BT to non BT phones before it became standard. Since they are discontinued, best chance is watching ebay for one to pop up, but they are getting harder and harder to find.
Good to know - thanks.This will help a friend of mine.

-dan
__________________
2009 BMW F800 ST
Never let your motorcycle take you where your brain hasn't been five seconds earlier.
danham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #41
El Gato OP
Studly Adventurer
 
El Gato's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 650
I had the opportunity to put a couple hundred miles on my setup yesterday, and it appears to be working perfectly:

1) iPhone 4S paired to Sena SMH10 via A2DP + HFP pairing
2) Zumo 220 paired to Sena SMH10 via HFP multipoint pairing

This retains complete control of the iPhone (voice control, Siri, music, etc.), and the Zumo interrupts with GPS guidance. One of the reasons I ended up choosing the 220 over the 660 is because the 220 uses only an HFP profile, which ended up making this process a lot simpler.
__________________
---
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #42
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
My understanding is that firmware v4 allows you to have two HFP profiles paired to the SMH10. I don't believe it cares whether the HFP is from an SR10 or some other device. From what I've seen so far, there are not many (maybe not even any) HFP dongles out there, so the SR10 is a logical choice, especially if you use a two-way radio, but I don't think it is the only choice.

For example, I believe you can pair a smartphone (A2DP + HFP) and a zumo 550 (selectively using only HFP) to the SMH10 simultaneously. The zumo 660 unfortunately will not do this; it always uses both A2DP and HFP, so the only remaining opening is for HFP only.

-dan
Perfect, thanks! I intend to use the SR10, as I want to incorporate a Garmin Montana and my ham HT.
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #43
Semongtaulie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Central Bluegrass State
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
OK, just back from a nice 220-mile run and all systems worked really well.

The phone stayed paired with the SMH10 the whole way and voice dialing, even at 80 mph in a crosswind, worked fine.

The radar detector and zumo 660, both hardwired to the SR10, got along perfectly together and were always connected to the SMH10 except when on a phone call (this is due to the SMH10's priority settings, which in a perfect world would be user-selectable).

The SR10 does sometimes clip the first syllable of GPS directions, but this did not cause any problems so far.

-dan
Thanks for following up Dan. Sounds like I need to go the SR10 route. Of course while I was on the phone with Adam at RocketMoto he brought up his experience with the Adaptiv radar detector with the visual alert. If I used that or a Marc Parnes unit with my V1, then I wouldn't have to worry about pairing problems. From what I've read on this forum though, people seem to miss the visual alerts easier than the audible alerts, hence my desire to have my V1 connected to the SMH10.
Also, since the Zumo 660 uses both A2DP and HFP and the iPhone uses A2DP there is no way for me to have both going to my SMH10 unless I get the SR10. To me the music sounds better from the iPhone than from the Zumo.
My ultimate goal is to remove the Zumo entirely. I soon as I figure out how to do route planning on the desktop and send it to the iPhone, the Zumo will be gone.
Semongtaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #44
danham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
danham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semongtaulie View Post
Thanks for following up Dan. Sounds like I need to go the SR10 route. Of course while I was on the phone with Adam at RocketMoto he brought up his experience with the Adaptiv radar detector with the visual alert. If I used that or a Marc Parnes unit with my V1, then I wouldn't have to worry about pairing problems. From what I've read on this forum though, people seem to miss the visual alerts easier than the audible alerts, hence my desire to have my V1 connected to the SMH10.
Also, since the Zumo 660 uses both A2DP and HFP and the iPhone uses A2DP there is no way for me to have both going to my SMH10 unless I get the SR10. To me the music sounds better from the iPhone than from the Zumo.
My ultimate goal is to remove the Zumo entirely. I soon as I figure out how to do route planning on the desktop and send it to the iPhone, the Zumo will be gone.
For me, the visual helmet alerts pose two problems. First, as you say, easier to miss. Second, it adds steps to a process that sometimes needs to be instantaneous. In other words, when the helmet light blinks, it's time to glance at the V1 and check the arrows and also try to determine band by reading those tiny LEDs. No thanks. I prefer hearing exactly what the threat is before having to take my eyes off the road (or not if it's X-band, for ex.).

For music (which I choose not to use, so take this with a grain of salt), it seems to me you'd do best to hardwire the zumo to an SR10, eliminating its somewhat flaky BT from the equation, and pair your iPhone to the SMH10 using both profiles. I tested this at home with music as part of experimenting with voice control and it sounded great, plus you get the advantage of being able to use your whole music collection, not just MP3 formatted songs.

-dan
__________________
2009 BMW F800 ST
Never let your motorcycle take you where your brain hasn't been five seconds earlier.
danham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #45
Semongtaulie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Central Bluegrass State
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
For me, the visual helmet alerts pose two problems. First, as you say, easier to miss. Second, it adds steps to a process that sometimes needs to be instantaneous. In other words, when the helmet light blinks, it's time to glance at the V1 and check the arrows and also try to determine band by reading those tiny LEDs. No thanks. I prefer hearing exactly what the threat is before having to take my eyes off the road (or not if it's X-band, for ex.).

For music (which I choose not to use, so take this with a grain of salt), it seems to me you'd do best to hardwire the zumo to an SR10, eliminating its somewhat flaky BT from the equation, and pair your iPhone to the SMH10 using both profiles. I tested this at home with music as part of experimenting with voice control and it sounded great, plus you get the advantage of being able to use your whole music collection, not just MP3 formatted songs.

-dan
I think I am going the SR10 route. That way I can set up exactly as you recommend. It looks like Sena has a SM10 coming out that will perform like the SR10 but no two way radio input, which I don't need anyway. I may wait on that unit but Sena usually runs behind on their new product intro schedule. If and when it becomes easy to use the iphone as my GPS/phone/music player I'll sell the hub. I guess the other other option is a Mixit with BT dongle but overall cost favors the SR10.
Thanks for all the info. This forum provides a wealth of information.
Semongtaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014