Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #31
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
[QUOTE=Barman;17931756]Short shifting is what rattles you out of a slumber at 3am as that empty 18 wheeler goes up and down the entire 10 speed shift range with the frickin' jake brake still on despite the fact that it's a 30mph zone.[/QUOTe1]
THose big trucks don't have even 2000 rpms to work with. Coupled with a close ratio trans and shifting every 300 to 400 rpms is a nessessity.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #32
CHECK_OIL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
I have to short shift. I'm 5'6" and have a small foot.

Ron
CHECK_OIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #33
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,508
One thing you gotta love about The Perfect Line is that no matter how long you have been doing something or how successful you have been doing it, somebody will be along to say that you are doing it wrong.

It saddens me to learn of all the gear dogs that died needlessly due to my ignorance.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #34
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthumper View Post
Actually, I am. I design gearboxes for a living ;). You're still talking shit however loud you shout about it.

Lower revs = less engine speed difference between adjacent ratios = less energy involved in the shift = less damage.
You just better shut the fuck up and listen to what the King of Cogs, the Dictator of Dogs, the Sultan of Short-Shift, Car94 has to tell all of us poor unwashed and unknowing retches, for we know not what we do to our innocent little dogs when we subject the little buggers to the utter brutality of the "short-shift".
You dope!

Chris "shifty" W.
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #35
mhpr262
Summer is coming

Oddometer: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
Yes it does. If you do not have the revs high enough, the gears do not mesh completely causing premature wear. Same principal for added pressure on the clutch plates.
That is nonsense, neither the gear mesh nor the pressure on clutch plate is in any way whatsover influenced by the RPM the engine is doing. Maybe you are confusing this with scooters that have a clutch engaged by centripetal force or something.
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #36
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
You just better shut the fuck up and listen to what the King of Cogs, the Dictator of Dogs, the Sultan of Short-Shift, Car94 has to tell all of us poor unwashed and unknowing retches, for we know not what we do to our innocent little dogs when we subject the little buggers to the utter brutality of the "short-shift".
You dope!

Chris "shifty" W.
Thanks for having my back, But I never said I was an expert, just repeating what my long time Mechanic told me after he had to replace a shift fork, 2nd gear driven and drive gear and a few other parts in a old Suzuki sport bike I had. But doG forgive me for passing on my my experiance and the fact that I have never had any trans problems since then on any of the 6 bikes I currently own and all the ones I have owned since the Suzuki. I should have known better than to try and share with the all knowing Gods of the key boards with 80 gazilion post's you must be an expert! It works for me and I don't redline the bikes, I shift a little above the recomended shift rpm's for the bike I am riding!

car94 screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 05:48 AM
car94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #37
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,508
Not the keyboard my friend, but 35 years of abusing offroad bikes says busting a transmission is very, very rare. What usually tears up a transmission is either crashing onto the shifter or "power shifting" under load without backing off the throttle or using the clutch. The former bends shift forks and the latter rounds off the gear dogs. Both cause false neutrals, missed shifts, stuck in gear and hard shifting. But in my experience actually blowing up a transmission or primary gear is normally a manufacturing defect not a rider defect.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #38
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Quote:
Thanks for having my back, But I never said I was an expert, just repeating what my long time Mechanic told me after he had to replace a shift fork, 2nd gear driven and drive gear and a few other parts in a old Suzuki sport bike I had. But doG forgive me for passing on my my experiance and the fact that I have never had any trans problems since then on any of the 6 bikes I currently own and all the ones I have owned since the Suzuki. I shold have known better than to try and share with the all knowing Gods of the key boards with 80 gazilion post's you must be an expert! It works for me and I don't redline the bikes, I shift a little above the recomended shift rpm's for the bike I am riding!
Either the mechanic is full of shit OR you misunderstood what he was trying to say, because by recounting your tale of woe with your aged 'zuk, you further reinforce everybody else here that say's you don't know what you're talking about. (But, in your defense, you did state that you're NOT an expert) One would NEVER...........EVER..... bend a shift fork by performing the dreaded "short-shift". One bends a shift fork by being a clod, repeatedly forcing the trans to do things it does not want to do at times it does not want to do it. Either you, or if you bought the decrepit old "zuk used, would seem to have been doing wheelies and pounding the trans into 2nd trying to "keep it up". That's the way almost all sporty bikes that wind up with rounded off dogs, bent forks, and the like, have it happen.
ORRRRRRR, shifting without the clutch and not getting the timing just right!
And I must commend you on your powers of perception in realizing so quickly that I am a "God of the Keyboard" and an "Expert".

Not only do I have "80 gazillion" post's, I also have approximately 80 gazillion (OK maybe only 25) miles under my belt, with every kind of racing (except Flat-track & Drag), and I've never bent a shift fork and the only time I ever rounded off dogs was on my Gas Gas 250 because the factory never hardened the gears. I was the 2nd owner and they did something unheard of in the dirt bike world.............they replaced the entire trans free of charge.

"Shifty"
Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #39
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Either the mechanic is full of shit OR you misunderstood what he was trying to say, because by recounting your tale of woe with your aged 'zuk, you further reinforce everybody else here that say's you don't know what you're talking about.
er, plus one milliontythousand

Ride. Shift. Clutch or sans clutch, It will be fine. Unless you are a dumb-ass. Then it may not.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #40
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
winter riding less than perfect traction, short shifting is mandatory so that you don't put too much power down

contrary to popular belief, riding below the optimal rpm range is NOT lugging

lugging is when the engine rpm is so low that your not pumping enuf oil to properly lubricate the bearings, and nothing to do with your rate of acceleration
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #41
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Certain bikes, like my 950 KTM, do not like to be running below 3500rpm in 3rd, 4th ,5th, & 6th. Anything less on one of these, I think, qualifies as "lugging" because of the protestations of the drive train. If you have one, you know what I'm talking about.
As for "Lugging" the engine at so low an RPM that oil isn't circulating.........the thing wouldn't pull anyway, because it would have to be off. As long as the engine is RUNNING, oil will be circulating. At a lower pressure, but circulating none the less.

"Shifty"
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #42
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
WTF?

Shifting at low RPM wears a transmission more than shifting at high RPM?!?!??!

Possibly one of the silliest things I've read here.

Put your tools down and step away from the bike.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #43
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-M View Post
WTF?

Shifting at low RPM wears a transmission more than shifting at high RPM?!?!??!

Possibly one of the silliest things I've read here.

Put your tools down and step away from the bike.
Now THAT'S saying something, considering some of the, uh, "topics", that have been discussed on this forum.

"Shifty"
Old 02-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #44
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Well that is very courtious of you.
Courteous.

(Wow, *I* got to correct the Corrector? Where's my No-Prize? )
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #45
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,157
Quote:
Yes it does! I have seen it ! But everyone is an expert.
we aren't all experts. it's just that some of us have a little bit of a clue how a transmission actually works.

rule number one of being in a hole...stop digging.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote