Oddometer: 36,848
Nikon D800

Look at this detail:

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...1/img_06_l.jpg

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...1/img_03_l.jpg

And there is no way I'm embedding those photos, they are 7,360 x 4,912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Campbell
It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,908
yeah, i was just thinking i had 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket.

i could get a nice used bike for that and keep taking shitty pictures with my canon.

needless dickery
green hell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
yeah, i was just thinking i had 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket.

i could get a nice used bike for that and keep taking shitty pictures with my canon.
People are asking for video more and more at events so I might actually need to get this if I start doing more photos VS design in my business. The big question is when will I hit that threshold to justify getting it. That sounds like a good rationalization right?

But then on top of that I need the Nikkor 85 F1.8, 16-35 F4, Tokina 70-200 F4 (if it's sharp as the F2.8 lenses are too heavy), and I'm really interested in the 24-70 F2.8 Tamron, I love my 28-75 for its sharpness so if it has that it's going on the list because the AF motor will be MUCH faster than the current one and that's my only issue with it.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 11:22 PM
Old 02-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Look at this detail:

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...1/img_06_l.jpg

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...1/img_03_l.jpg

And there is no way I'm embedding those photos, they are 7,360 x 4,912
holicrap...That kind of intimacy is usually enjoyed in a bedroom!

Great exposures. way way better than the demo shots I saw of the Fuji x1pro. I imagine the dynamic range of that thing is stellar to not blow out the detail on those leaves.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Quote:
But then on top of that I need a Cray supercomputer to work with the files.
Seriously, do you print urban mural sized photos? What use do you possibly have for a 36mp image?

The dynamic range is impressive, I must say.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,164
Don't forget to budget for the new computer you'll need to process the files . . .

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,904
Yikes, I have all the Canon lenses and have stuck with them despite how awesome the D3s is because Canon does video better than Nikon. But this is really a sweet video camera. Check this out:

Joy Ride from Sandro on Vimeo.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Seriously, do you print urban mural sized photos? What use do you possibly have for a 36mp image?

The dynamic range is impressive, I must say.

The laptop doesn't stand a chance against those photos, but the workstation should (hopefully). 1 step down from top of the line in the spring of 2010 with 12GB of RAM and a Quadro video card which Photoshop is optimized for.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Yikes, I have all the Canon lenses and have stuck with them despite how awesome the D3s is because Canon does video better than Nikon. But this is really a sweet video camera. Check this out:

Joy Ride from Sandro on Vimeo.

Baldy come over to the dark side, and leave those white lenses behind

Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Baldy come over to the dark side, and leave those white lenses behind
I'm gonna rent a 1Dx and D4 to compare first, 'cus I need a high-speed sports camera. Both should be great at video.

But I also shoot for huge prints on the walls and the res of the D800 is nice for that. Plus being able to do such great video in a smaller form-factor.

But maybe Canon is ready to announce the 5D MKIII?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #11
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
I'm gonna rent a 1Dx and D4 to compare first, 'cus I need a high-speed sports camera. Both should be great at video.

But I also shoot for huge prints on the walls and the res of the D800 is nice for that. Plus being able to do such great video in a smaller form-factor.

But maybe Canon is ready to announce the 5D MKIII?
I'm curious as to what Canon will bring out next, I bet it will have the resolution but I'm not sure about the video capabilities. The reason I say that is Canon (and to a lesser extent Nikon) like handicapping their cameras so for that 1 important feature you might need you'll have to move up a step or 2 and pay a good bit more. And Canon has the EOS based video camera coming out soon so they probably want people to move to that from the 5D.

The only company I can think of who really bucked that trend is Olympus where my E-620 has nearly as much customization as my D700. But you obviously know 4/3's poor showing in the market....which is kinda sad as a lot of the features that set them apart (live view, shake based dust reduction, rotating LCD, etc.) have been adopted by many of the big players years later.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,270
This might be a related question. I want to upgrade from my Canon S90 for outdoor shots here in Colorado. It doesn't make sense to work as hard as I do to get into the back country and only have a point and shoot to capture the experience. Not that the S90 isn't a great camera.
Given my chronic poverty, I have about 500.00 to spend on a new or used camera. So far, the Nikon D40 is looking pretty good and new, used, and refurbished models abound. I understand that I'll need AF-S lenses for this baby. I see a number of lightly used D40's with one or two lenses on CL for under 500.00.
Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Cycle61
wannabe

Oddometer: 336
The D40 is a lightweight body with an excellent image sensor.

Given your budget, I would get the D40, and probably a 35mm f/1.8 lens, which will be FAR sharper than any kit lens you'll find bundled with the camera.
Cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
This might be a related question. I want to upgrade from my Canon S90 for outdoor shots here in Colorado. It doesn't make sense to work as hard as I do to get into the back country and only have a point and shoot to capture the experience. Not that the S90 isn't a great camera.
What do you find lacking about the S90 - do you want to shoot wider, longer, with narrower depth of field?

Reason I ask is that the lens is the most important part of the equation. The S90 has the equivalent field of view of a 28-105 lens in 35mm terms.

The kit lens on most entry level DSLR bodies is an 18-55, which equates to 28-90. They are also darker (larger aperture number = smaller opening). It isn't really much of an 'upgrade'.

The benefit of a DLSR is the ability to change lenses. Unfortunately, they aren't free. A good wide-angle or telephoto lens is going to run ~300. You want to shoot at night? Add in a tripod. Some portraits of the wife or kids or whatever? A fast prime is another couple hundred. Pretty soon you have a couple thousand dollars in the desk drawer.

That isn't to say it isn't worth it, I love taking photos. Just wise to set out with a goal (landscapes, wildlife, portraits) and be honest about the gear you need to do that.

The S90 is very capable. You may find that a tripod, panorama stitching, and good RAW-editing software get you what you need.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Given my chronic poverty, I have about 500.00 to spend on a new or used camera. So far, the Nikon D40 is looking pretty good and new, used, and refurbished models abound. I understand that I'll need AF-S lenses for this baby. I see a number of lightly used D40's with one or two lenses on CL for under 500.00.
Thoughts?
While it is a little bigger the D50 has better AF and for an all plastic body it is pretty tough....and it should be about the same price.

I'd also look at the Olympus E-420...I'm headed out now but will do a full write up on both later on tonight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: