Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
What do you find lacking about the S90 - do you want to shoot wider, longer, with narrower depth of field?

Reason I ask is that the lens is the most important part of the equation. The S90 has the equivalent field of view of a 28-105 lens in 35mm terms.
The lens, and the CCD. The S90 shoots at amazingly low light levels. I've had many generations of P&S cameras and this one is a revelation.
I'm after at least a 200mm for landscapes.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
The lens, and the CCD. The S90 shoots at amazingly low light levels. I've had many generations of P&S cameras and this one is a revelation.
I'm after at least a 200mm for landscapes.
Don't get the D40 unless you are willing to invest in some good (fast) glass then. The S90 lens is much faster than the D40 kit lens and so for the same light level you'll be ~1-2 stops higher ISO on it and I don't trust that sensor above ISO 800 and even then you need really good light.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Thoughts?
A couple months ago I bought a factory refurb'd D3000 (D40's 10mp replacement) for $300 from Adorama. It's the second Nikon refurb body I've bought from them. Beats buying used, IMHO. No complaints.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
A couple months ago I bought a factory refurb'd D3000 (D40's 10mp replacement) for $300 from Adorama. It's the second Nikon refurb body I've bought from them. Beats buying used, IMHO. No complaints.
This looks like the best deal:

http://www.adorama.com/INKD5000RA.html

D5000 so you get a sensor a generation newer. The issue is in the lenses....a decent one is going to run 300ish no matter what body you buy.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
The issue is in the lenses....a decent one is going to run 300ish no matter what body you buy.
I'm not a Nikon guy. What is the decent consumer Nikon telephoto these days, the 70-300VR? They have a 55-200VR or something as well, right?

The Olympus 2X crop factor means you get more reach for your weight, though, again, I'm not sure what the relevant lenses would be. N&V, that's you.

I can say that the Pentax K-x or K-r with the DA L 55-300 would solve your telephoto needs. Not sure how close to $500 that would be, but the 55-300 is a nice lens for the money. I use it with great success on my K200D. Looks like the K-r, 18-55, & 55-300 kit is $769 new, so you'd probably get close going used.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I'm not a Nikon guy. What is the decent consumer Nikon telephoto these days, the 70-300VR? They have a 55-200VR or something as well, right?

The Olympus 2X crop factor means you get more reach for your weight, though, again, I'm not sure what the relevant lenses would be. N&V, that's you.

I can say that the Pentax K-x or K-r with the DA L 55-300 would solve your telephoto needs. Not sure how close to $500 that would be, but the 55-300 is a nice lens for the money. I use it with great success on my K200D. Looks like the K-r, 18-55, & 55-300 kit is $769 new, so you'd probably get close going used.
The Olympus 40-150 (80-300 equivalent) is it A LOT smaller than any Nikon or Canon telephoto. It's actually even smaller than either brand's 18-55.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #22
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,533
A coworker wants to buy my D700, freeing me up to buy the D800.

Where do you recommend I go to figure out a fair price for the D700?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #23
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post

Craig's List will get you closer to real-life prices. This link will allow you to search CL nationwide.
http://www.allofcraigs.com/
Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #24
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post

I'd use keh's prices as a base and maybe go 100-300 below that.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
I want D800 technology in the lightweight package of a D3100... Help me NikonVstromMan!

Should I just go D7000 or D5100? I am not a pro, in any sense of the word...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
I want D800 technology in the lightweight package of a D3100... Help me NikonVstromMan!

Should I just go D7000 or D5100? I am not a pro, in any sense of the word...
Same sensor so the big question is what do you shoot racing, landscapes, etc.?

Also do you want to use any of the older lenses or do you plan to buy all new Nikon ones.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
Quote:
Same sensor so the big question is what do you shoot racing, landscapes, etc.?

Also do you want to use any of the older lenses or do you plan to buy all new Nikon ones.
I will shoot landscapes more, and general travel pics. I have no lenses, only worn out point and shoot digis...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,981
if this is turning into an upgrade thread, can I get your thoughts?

I want to upgrade from my D80 to full frame. what is the most economical way to do this? Over the years, I invested in lenses rather than bodies. the lenses I bought were mostly fx - 70-200, 85 1.4, 50. the only dx I'd miss is my fisheye, but I'll keep my d80 for that and the kit lens.

I'd like improved dynamic range and better low light performance, maybe some video.

used and refurb are OK. Thanks
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
if this is turning into an upgrade thread, can I get your thoughts?

I want to upgrade from my D80 to full frame. what is the most economical way to do this? Over the years, I invested in lenses rather than bodies. the lenses I bought were mostly fx - 70-200, 85 1.4, 50. the only dx I'd miss is my fisheye, but I'll keep my d80 for that and the kit lens.

I'd like improved dynamic range and better low light performance, maybe some video.

used and refurb are OK. Thanks
D700, D3, D3s, D3x, D4, and D800.

The D700 is the most affordable (used), although D3's are coming down in price as all the doctors dig to the bottom of their closets in anticipation of the D4.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #30
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Quote:
Don't get the D40 unless you are willing to invest in some good (fast) glass then. The S90 lens is much faster than the D40 kit lens and so for the same light level you'll be ~1-2 stops higher ISO on it and I don't trust that sensor above ISO 800 and even then you need really good light.
Okay, let's try to simplify this for me so I can make a decision soon.
If my goal is landscape and bird shots using a minimum of a 200mm lens, and I buy a D40, new, used, or refurbished, then I'll need to spend money on AF-S lenses. What is considered a fast lens in this category, if not 3.5?
I sent an email to Adorama in response to your link to the D5000 and am waiting to hear from them. Am I correct in thinking that you feel the D5000 is better than the D40.
It sounds like both bodies will do the job, in the end it's about lenses?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: