Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #31
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Okay, let's try to simplify this for me so I can make a decision soon.
If my goal is landscape and bird shots using a minimum of a 200mm lens, and I buy a D40, new, used, or refurbished, then I'll need to spend money on AF-S lenses. What is considered a fast lens in this category, if not 3.5?
I sent an email to Adorama in response to your link to the D5000 and am waiting to hear from them. Am I correct in thinking that you feel the D5000 is better than the D40.
It sounds like both bodies will do the job, in the end it's about lenses?
The D5000's sensor is 2 generations newer than the D40's so it will be a big jump, plus you get a much better AF system and well pretty much everything in the camera is a step up.

The D5000 also is better in low light by a stop or so meaning the slower lens isn't as big of an issue. And since the S90 doesn't go to 200mm being slower at that focal length isn't bad as your other option is to not have it at all.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #32
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
I will shoot landscapes more, and general travel pics. I have no lenses, only worn out point and shoot digis...
The D5100 is for you, the main advantages of the D7000 (other than improved build quality with the metal chassis) are for action shots, it has a higher FPS and better AF system. But neither of these really matter much for what you're shooting.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #33
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
if this is turning into an upgrade thread, can I get your thoughts?

I want to upgrade from my D80 to full frame. what is the most economical way to do this? Over the years, I invested in lenses rather than bodies. the lenses I bought were mostly fx - 70-200, 85 1.4, 50. the only dx I'd miss is my fisheye, but I'll keep my d80 for that and the kit lens.

I'd like improved dynamic range and better low light performance, maybe some video.

used and refurb are OK. Thanks
If you want video the D3s, D4, and D800 are your only option. The D700 would be a good upgrade if you can live without the video but I'd wait till the D800 starts really selling and then the 700 should have a dip in the price....but probably not a huge one.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #34
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,878
Quote:
I sent an email to Adorama in response to your link to the D5000 and am waiting to hear from them. Am I correct in thinking that you feel the D5000 is better than the D40.
It sounds like both bodies will do the job, in the end it's about lenses?
Adding to what N&V said, the D5000 also has a 12mp sensor vs. the 6mp sensor in the D40. While it is mostly about lenses, you could crop an image from the D5000 fairly heavily, while the D40 doesn't lend itself well to that.

B&H has the Nikon 55-300 VR lens refurbished for $269. If you could swing that and a D5000 you'd be well on your way.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #35
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
The D5100 is for you, the main advantages of the D7000 (other than improved build quality with the metal chassis) are for action shots, it has a higher FPS and better AF system. But neither of these really matter much for what you're shooting.
Thank you! I will put my order in for a D4 now... :P

I wish I could justify a D800 but I just don't take enough pics... plus the lighter the better for me...

I think I go with the DX 35mm 1.8 lens first...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #36
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Adding to what N&V said, the D5000 also has a 12mp sensor vs. the 6mp sensor in the D40. While it is mostly about lenses, you could crop an image from the D5000 fairly heavily, while the D40 doesn't lend itself well to that.

B&H has the Nikon 55-300 VR lens refurbished for $269. If you could swing that and a D5000 you'd be well on your way.
That might be doable. I take it that the D5000 has the auto focus built in the body so doesn't need AF-S lenses?
Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #37
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
That might be doable. I take it that the D5000 has the auto focus built in the body so doesn't need AF-S lenses?
I had to google it, but no, the D5000 doesn't have a focus motor. The lens I was thinking of is an AF-S lens, and it would work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/7..._4_5_5_6G.html
Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #38
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Three pages of discussion about cameras and not a single picture of the items discussed. Oh, the irony! LOL
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #39
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I had to google it, but no, the D5000 doesn't have a focus motor. The lens I was thinking of is an AF-S lens, and it would work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/7..._4_5_5_6G.html
Thanks for the link. They also have a refurbished D5000 for 20.00 less than Adorama.
So, this lens would require manual focus but the VR feature is sort of an image stabilization system?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #40
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the link. They also have a refurbished D5000 for 20.00 less than Adorama.
So, this lens would require manual focus but the VR feature is sort of an image stabilization system?
D5000 and AF-S 55-300 VR would autofocus. Nothing manual about it - the focus motor is just in the lens rather than the body.

VR stands for 'Vibration Reduction' and is Nikon-speak for image stabilization, which Canon calls 'IS' and Pentax calls 'SR' (shake reduction). Particularly on a telephoto lens, you want it.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #41
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Three pages of discussion about cameras and not a single picture of the items discussed. Oh, the irony! LOL
Yea..that aint right

My current..
Gas Hog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #42
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Yea..that aint right

Not the D800

This is:

Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #43
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Needs more buttons.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #44
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Not the D800
Oppski..grabbed the wrong one
Gas Hog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #45
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Oppski..grabbed the wrong one
I wish you were right.....I'm going to miss the AF selector knob. And it would have been nice to have 3 DSLR's with the same physical controls.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: