Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #76
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
It seems the only advantages of the P510 over the FZ150 is the built in GPS and the 1000m equivalent max zoom compared to 600 mm. How often is 600mm not enough?
I have yet to find a hands-on review of the 510 and they haven't hit the stores around here yet so, like you, all I can do is look at the numbers and speculate. The GPS feature is a bauble I could do without. It's the degree of noise that shows up when zoomed that I wonder about most and I agree that 1000mm is sort of overkill. How often is 300mm not enough?
Spending time in the Rockies is an amazing experience and I'd like to bring back photos that would help others share the experience. A point and shoot, even one as sophisticated as my S90, is rarely able to capture the scale of the landscape. I still miss my stolen Yashica twin lens large format.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #77
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,542
Some of my favourite images were taken with a twin lens reflex Yashica 2-1/4". Found it in a pawn shop in Toronto for $45. Haven't touched it in years.

Ektachrome, baby.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #78
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
A point and shoot, even one as sophisticated as my S90, is rarely able to capture the scale of the landscape. I still miss my stolen Yashica twin lens large format.
That is an interesting observation. Can you better articulate what is preventing the S90 from getting the photos you want? Is it an issue of contrast/dynamic range or ??

I know I was disappointed with the photos from my little Pentax Optio W20 and WS80 cameras so I bought a Pansonic LX-5 (similar to your S90) as an upgrade and my photos got better, but at the same time I started reading photography books and started paying attention to lighting conditions and composition, so I don't know how much the better glass and bigger sensor was contributing. I also started "developing" my digital photos that also contributed to the quality. Someday I'll borrow a decent DSLR and take a simple P&S, LX-5, and FZ150 and take them to the same place and do side by side photos. For indoor use, the faster lens, bigger better sensor, and stabilization (allowing longer handheld exposures) of the LX-5 is an obvious reason for improvement in those conditions, but for landscape shooting those advantages should not be so important.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #79
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Some of my favourite images were taken with a twin lens reflex Yashica 2-1/4". Found it in a pawn shop in Toronto for $45. Haven't touched it in years.

Ektachrome, baby.

Everything looked good through that ground glass viewfinder.
I shot many Ektachrome slide shots at pushed speeds during the summers I worked in the woods in Ontario and last year noticed that the colors were fading, especially the greens. I had all of my slides digitized to preserve them but gave up a little of the clarity. Of course, it could just be my aging eyes.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #80
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
That is an interesting observation. Can you better articulate what is preventing the S90 from getting the photos you want? Is it an issue of contrast/dynamic range or ??
This is a failed photo I pulled from my iPhoto Trash taken with my S90. See those little pointy things on the horizon? They're 12 to 14,000 foot peaks to the west of Estes Park. When I shot them they were bathed in a salmon-colored light from the setting sun with occasional spindrifts of snow lifted by high-altitude winds. I'd been snowshoeing through 12" powder at 8,000 feet for about an hour to get even this close and I was reasonably certain that I was about to have a heart attack. That would have been worth it had I captured a fraction of what I was seeing.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #81
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Everything looked good through that ground glass viewfinder.
I shot many Ektachrome slide shots at pushed speeds during the summers I worked in the woods in Ontario and last year noticed that the colors were fading, especially the greens. I had all of my slides digitized to preserve them but gave up a little of the clarity. Of course, it could just be my aging eyes.
I wonder if pushing it might have been a factor?

Was looking at some 400ASA Ektachome 35mm slides recently (Dylan, Massey Hall April '80) and they look as good as they did in May of '80. Also have Cibachrome prints I made over 30 years ago that are still clean and sharp.

How will our digitised data hold up over time? Will we be able to access our external hard drives in 2042?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #82
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,759
The main issue WRT to the remote peaks is that (from the EXIF data) the camera was set to 'Multi-segment' metering, so it considered the shed and trees, as well as the sky, and tried to get an even exposure across the frame. That blew out the sky, since digital cameras don't have sufficient dynamic range to get detail in the tree, shed, and sky. Spot metering off the mountain peaks or dialing down exposure with the EV+/- adjustment would have solved that. Can always take a pic and check the histogram (or turn on shadow/highlight blinkies on review) to see what the exposure looks like. The salmon color is lost because the white balance is set to auto.

A different camera, with the same settings, would have yielded the same result.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #83
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
I wonder if pushing it might have been a factor?

Was looking at some 400ASA Ektachome 35mm slides recently (Dylan, Massey Hall April '80) and they look as good as they did in May of '80. Also have Cibachrome prints I made over 30 years ago that are still clean and sharp.

How will our digitised data hold up over time? Will we be able to access our external hard drives in 2042?

Yes, I do think that pushing them is a factor. It was a new technique to me 35 years ago and we were working in dense forest. I was trying to bring out the richness of the spruce and pine in highly contrasted light. I was also taking photographs of items of archaeological interest that were often the same color as their surroundings. Once we excavated, they were gone. Of course, sometimes the black flies nearly covered the lens.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #84
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
The main issue WRT to the remote peaks is that (from the EXIF data) the camera was set to 'Multi-segment' metering, so it considered the shed and trees, as well as the sky, and tried to get an even exposure across the frame. That blew out the sky, since digital cameras don't have sufficient dynamic range to get detail in the tree, shed, and sky. Spot metering off the mountain peaks or dialing down exposure with the EV+/- adjustment would have solved that. Can always take a pic and check the histogram (or turn on shadow/highlight blinkies on review) to see what the exposure looks like. The salmon color is lost because the white balance is set to auto.

A different camera, with the same settings, would have yielded the same result.
That's the sort of thing that can be accomplished with bracketed exposures. I'm not familiar enough with the modern hardware to know which ones will or won't allow the bracketing of exposures. The D300s will record bracketed frames up to 9 exposures (4 either side and one of the features that influenced my decision to purchase). Not sure about less costly alteratives?

Anyone?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #85
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Yes, I do think that pushing them is a factor. It was a new technique to me 35 years ago and we were working in dense forest. I was trying to bring out the richness of the spruce and pine in highly contrasted light. I was also taking photographs of items of archaeological interest that were often the same color as their surroundings. Once we excavated, they were gone. Of course, sometimes the black flies nearly covered the lens.
Sounds interesting. Where were you and what were you photographing?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #86
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
The D300s will record bracketed frames up to 9 exposures (4 either side and one of the features that influenced my decision to purchase). Not sure about less costly alteratives?

Anyone?

dpreview.com is the easiest place to find summarized specs. The D5100 will do one frame either side of the metered exposure at 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d5100

Bracketing is commonly used to then combine the images in software to make really awful HDR photos, so it is included in a lot of cameras. Many will even combine the bracketed images in-camera to make an HDR JPG.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #87
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
dpreview.com is the easiest place to find summarized specs. The D5100 will do one frame either side of the metered exposure at 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d5100

Bracketing is commonly used to then combine the images in software to make really awful HDR photos, so it is included in a lot of cameras. Many will even combine the bracketed images in-camera to make an HDR JPG.
I think the really awful clown vomit hdr stuff that's become so popular is done with a particular software, can't recall the name. I share your distain for it.

Done effectively, bracketing can allow photos that more nearly replicate the lattitudes of colour and light visible to the human eye without all the blown out and blacked out highs and lows.

Bob could have captured what he actually saw in the mountains with bracketed images.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #88
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

clown vomit.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #89
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
Sounds interesting. Where were you and what were you photographing?
We were working in Killarney Prov. Park and then assigned to Mississagi Prov. Park near Elliot Lake. Our job was to survey the parks for historical resources and write a summary. Most of our travel was by canoe but also lots of hiking and some seaplane flight. When we wrapped that up I spent a few months excavating Ft. St. Joseph near the Soo.
I had a work permit from my excavations on Van. Island and near Fernie, B.C. and was able to extend it for two years. I gained experience in that type of archaeology working for the Minnesota Historical Society in the Boundary Waters.
My last job in Canada was analyzing and photographing the metal artifacts collected when Ft. William was excavated in Thunder Bay.
It was a great life for a young man and I've since traveled in Canada for close to 40 years. I would have applied for citizenship but didn't want to be on the receiving end of some of the shenanigans us Yanks can get up to.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #90
Lornce
Lost In Place

With the help of a few teachers I managed to get an outdoors camping and hiking club off the ground in highschool. The last event we all did together in my senior year was a canoe trip in Killarney Provincial Park. The topography in that area is unique for Ontario, as I'm sure you're aware. Beautiful place to travel by canoe. I've got several boxes of Kodachrome slides taken on that trip with a Yashica TL-Electro, my first 35mm.

Did you get a camera?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: