Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #46
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
If you want to be taken seriously in public, you won't show up on a motorcycle, no matter your dress...

Old 02-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #47
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,488
No affiliation, but one of my customers bought these:

They look absolutely normal without any extra seams, come with knee armor and kevlar. Every other kevlar pant that I have seen looked like one - not good if you are trying to stay low key.

I personally used a set of Draggin jeans before - way too hot, still look dorky and provide minimal protection increase. From now on it's proper riding pants for me, unless I'm on 250cc beast riding in town. In this case I will wear Dainese Yamato pants - great look and knee armor.

By the way here is another great alternative. Another one of my customers got them, I could not even tell they are leather. Big bucks though.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #48
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
The Draggin jeans are rather warm ~ for walking around in the sun on a hot day . . . but no problem when riding.

No complaints about the Kevlar strength. After high-siding onto a gravel road at 70 Kph [45 mph], the surface denim on my knees was a bit chewed up . . . but the underlying yellow cloth looked pretty much unmarked.

The jeans were a loose-fit style in the legs, so there was room underneath for knee/shin strap-on guards (which go on & off quickly "from below" . . . and the pants help hold them in place too, so the guard straps needn't be uncomfortably tight . . . yet they're moderately comfortable to walk around in, without bothering to remove the guards).
End result . . . just a slight bruise on one kneecap.

The one deficiency is the [lack of] hip padding. Even a bit would reduce chances of a broken hip . . . but I don't see much likelihood of manufacturers bringing in unfashionably Michelin-Man-hipped jodhpur style to their range of jeans.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #49
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #50
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
This thread has been educational for me, the "riding jeans" I looked at were just that, jeans with a few reinforced areas. I see now that there are "riding jeans" that are just that, and there are riding jeans that are much closer to real riding pants styled to look like jeans. Big difference IMO.

I do still think a $100 for jeans with a few Kevlar patches is a waste if you are purchasing pants for protection.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #51
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I do still think a $100 for jeans with a few Kevlar patches is a waste if you are purchasing pants for protection.

Not sure of your size but clearance prices are a good thing.

http://www.compacc.com/Bargains-Specials-Apparel
Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #52
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,247
I wear an local Oz made Kevlar lined jeans (NEDS). I had no preference between this brand or other name brands when I was buying ... they were on special No hotter than my mesh overpants and as someone else mentioned you can wet them down if it's mega hot. I also have Kevlar lined leather pants but they aren't getting worn much lately .... they seem to have shrunk

The Kevlar lining in these jeans is tough as and most brands seem well made and ours have survived a great many launderings. They are very good value for money if compared to regular jeans.

I think I remember reading somewhere on ADV a post saying that tear resistance was related to layers of fabric. The single Kevlar layer probably reduces the number of layers required to provide a reasonable tear resistance.

The idea of using strap on knee guards is a good'un if one felt the need ...
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #53
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post
Some of you guys sound like strictly touring riders. That's ok. But these products aren't for you. These jeans are for people who use their bike for transportation on a daily basis and don't want to like like a goofball and walk around in tons of thick layers.
I am a big fan of:
a) Using the bike as a utility device; it needs to commute, it needs to go to the shops, it needs to do short trips as well as for fun rides
b) bike luggage!

If I'm going into town, I wear armor/kevlar overpants and jacket over normal clothes. When I get off the bike, the bike gear goes in the bike luggage and if you looked at me, you wouldn't know I arrived on a motorcycle.

I've got kevlar jeans too.... sometimes I wear them, but I find them a bit less comfortable than normal jeans plus they are expensive so I think wearing them off the bike is a bit of a compromise too. And they don't have armor.
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #54
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I have had some Draggin jeans for several years. They do offer better protection than regular jeans but......
Without armor underneath I still consider them lacking compared to real riding pants. They are hotter than regular jeans due to the extra kevlar layer and the fact that they are heavy duty jeans. The kevlar makes them less comfortable unless you wear an extra layer, such as long johns underneath. In hot weather they are hotter than regular jeans and much hotter than mesh pants.
I found the same thing. I got rid of mine and bought some BMW City 2 denim pants which CE padding. Not quite as "stylish" looking as the Draggin jeans, but also not nearly as hot and have better protection, while still maintaining a pretty decent look.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #55
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
That's why you have to carry a gun.

Well played.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #56
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
I found the same thing. I got rid of mine and bought some BMW City 2 denim pants which CE padding. Not quite as "stylish" looking as the Draggin jeans, but also not nearly as hot and have better protection, while still maintaining a pretty decent look.
my leather pants and my dragging jeans are good in a slid but they both have no armored in them.
padded jeans will not be any good in a slid..
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #57
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
....I do still think a $100 for jeans with a few Kevlar patches is a waste if you are purchasing pants for protection.
That depends on the amount of protection you are looking for on a given ride. Low speed rides around town aren't going to result in MotoGP style 1/4 mile slides. My sub-highway speed crashes are usually more tumble than slide. Which is why armor is more important to me than leather for most of my dual sport riding.

But I agree about the prices. That is why I am a dedicated closeout shopper. My Cortech pants were $40 on sale from motorcyclegear.com (was NewEnough.com)
Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #58
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
That depends on the amount of protection you are looking for on a given ride. Low speed rides around town aren't going to result in MotoGP style 1/4 mile slides. My sub-highway speed crashes are usually more tumble than slide. Which is why armor is more important to me than leather for most of my dual sport riding.

But I agree about the prices. That is why I am a dedicated closeout shopper. My Cortech pants were $40 on sale from motorcyclegear.com (was NewEnough.com)
As my only functional bike is my Ural, there is very little chance of a slide.
I did have a low speed get-off while attempting to fly the chair in reverse, and there was no sliding involved.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #59
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post

I've bought lots of "last year's" gear at good discounts. If you don't need to have the latest thing it is a great way to save some bucks.
Great vendor too. I buy most of my stuff from them.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #60
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,534
I bought a very nice three season textile jacket and a nice mesh jacket there. I doubt the two jackets together cost much more than $100. Apparently orange was not a very popular color for street bike riders.

I think a Yamaha blue offroad helmet or Honda red street helmet go nicely with KTM orange jackets. An ensemble it is not.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 08:52 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote