Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #61
jamd
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Here's another option for Kevlar jeans that I thought was worth mentioning.

I found them when I stumbled onto the Australian Netrider Forum site and came across Motolegion Jeans.

Review: Motolegion jeans by Takamii - Netrider Forums

There are several reviews on the Netrider site and they sounded good so I ordered some. I haven't worn them on the bike yet but I've tried them on and the fit was good, they were comfortable, and they seemed sturdy. There is CE armor in the hips and knees. You can remove the knee armor without taking the jeans off. The ordering and shipping process went smoothly. I paid $130.
jamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #62
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,182
I was hit by a pickup with mine on and the only damage to my legs was impact related. No road rash, I slid and roled down the pavement, according to witness 200ft and like I said other than broken bones, all I had were some rasberrys from intial impact. That night I knew I was not going to be goofing off or riding to fast so I was wearing Riding Jeans,Boots, Gloves, Textile jacket, and Helmet. The paramedics cut them all off and the strap on my Helmet. I normally use the Street/Track helmets for Dirt or Atv riding once they have been crashed.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #63
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
got the draggin jeans, a friend's wife is handy on industrial sewing machines and added mesh down the inside leg. plenty of ventilation on hot days, and allows enough room now to wear the knee braces underneath for gnarly rides. on easier rides i just wear knee guards over the top. seems to work out pretty well.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #64
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
my leather pants and my dragging jeans are good in a slid but they both have no armored in them.
padded jeans will not be any good in a slid..
I know what you're saying but I need to see what exactly those BMW ones are made of...it's not regular denim. The thing is that without any kind of padding your likely to have breaks from the impact.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #65
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,811
I low sided at about 25 in the rain and went down on my knee wearing kevlar MX riding pants. It didn't even scuff the material. But it banged the hell out of knee and left me limping for days. Which is why I now wear knee armor under the kevlar pants. Like I said before, at the speeds I ride various types of kevlar lined pants are plenty of abrasion protection. But I supplement them with armor under the pants because that is how I generally get banged up.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #66
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
I've been wearing Draggin jeans (with the CE knee armor) since 2003. I love 'em. Have had one "get off" in them on gravel and they were not damaged nor was I. They can get a bit warm in August but the knee armor never bothers me. I also have "real" riding pants and I greatly prefer the Draggin jeans, much more comfortable. Highly recommended.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #67
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Wow, I'm amazed at the response as the OP. Take a look at compacc.com. Their riding jeans look pretty good to me and there is armor. I'm impressed with the fairly liberal coverage of the Kevlar, knees, butt, hips, thighs. Just to put things in perspective: I'm 65, have owned at least 14 motos since age 16, just sold my DRZ 400 after riding all the trails I could in Moab for 7 months. (My wife who is a bit younger, rode a Super Sherpa) We now own an '88 BMW K75 and (she) a four year old Versys. I love to ride hard, twisties, curvies, etc. but, at my age don't want to break anything if I can help it. She rides a bit more conservatively, but that's as it should be. This is only her third year of riding at age 45, having never ridden before. Although she did a lot of "absolutely hairy" mountain biking while we were in Moab. My hat's off to her.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #68
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Old 02-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #69
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 940
I don't see the point of knee armor in pockets of the legs of motorcycle jeans. Better to wear strap on knee armor underneath. It should be more secure, and the jeans will work more like jeans: if you're wearing motorcycle jeans it's probably because you want to wear stuff that looks normal clothes. Armor hanging at the knee doesn't help with that. And I don't think it will protect as well as strap on armor either.
davidji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #70
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I don't see the point of knee armor in pockets of the legs of motorcycle jeans. Better to wear strap on knee armor underneath. It should be more secure, and the jeans will work more like jeans: if you're wearing motorcycle jeans it's probably because you want to wear stuff that looks normal clothes. Armor hanging at the knee doesn't help with that. And I don't think it will protect as well as strap on armor either.
Armors hanging at the knees could look weird but undressing yourself in your office to remove your strap on armors won't help either.

What about those MotoLegion jeans?

Unzip, remove the pads, zip, done!

I like!

Old 02-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #71
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,811
There is no undressing with mine. Two velcro straps per side and they are on or off in seconds without removing my pants or boots. MX boots have to come off. But those aren't exactly street or office wear anyway. Mine are MX knee/shin guards that have been stress tested many times. So I know they stay put as needed and come off easily.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #72
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
i admit i use the draggin jeans on the hottest days of the year.
I dont kid myself though They are probably just a little better than regular jeans .
Think about it .The kevlar panels are just held in place with cotton. Probably disenagrate in anything more than a low speed crash.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #73
dulcimerbob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I have to ask the question again. What are proper riding pants. I have Sliders Kevlar and MX knee pads. I also have mesh overpants but I am inseam challenged so the knee inserts are not in a good spot to do their job . I used to ride in a t shirt , jeans , and no helmet. getting smarter in my old age and I really don't care what I look like on or off the bike . I rode the BRP with MX boots and drew stares at restaurants . Mostly I had folks ask me what kind of bike , where are you going etc. Being unemployed has it's perks BTW, I couldn't attract young women in a $ 2000 suit.
dulcimerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #74
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,721
I can understand riding jeans for around town 35 MPH stuff, like to go to the barber or something. Wouldn't mind owning a set for that. For general riding and faster stuff I have always seen them as squidtastic.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #75
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcimerbob View Post
I have to ask the question again. What are proper riding pants.
On the street?

Joe Rocket Speedmaster perforated is what I wear in warmer weather.

Joe Rocket Blaster non-perf for cooler weather.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote