Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #76
dulcimerbob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that wears a single star !
dulcimerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #77
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,323
Seems like Aerostich tested Kevlar for its ability to slide along pavement,they found it stretched and grabbed and didnt slide well,so they didnt use it in their gear. I know its good in bulletproof vests. I wonder if these riding pants makers might be using it cause the name sounds bulletproof? I can see how a layer of most anything added to jeans is better then nothing if you hit the ground.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #78
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcimerbob View Post
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that wears a single star !
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #79
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Seems like Aerostich tested Kevlar for its ability to slide along pavement,they found it stretched and grabbed and didnt slide well,so they didnt use it in their gear.
This sounded like motorcycle lore B.S. to me, but yup, that's what Aerostich believes.

http://www.aerostich.com/media/readi...=600&width=800

I'm no materials science guy, but something tells me Aerostich is unfamiliar with the quality of commercially-available Kevlar in 2012 (they refer to tests in 1989 and 1993.... Cordura is great stuff, absolutely no complaints there, but that page sounds a lot like "We do it this way because it's the way we've always done it.")
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #80
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
I know what you're saying but I need to see what exactly those BMW ones are made of...it's not regular denim. The thing is that without any kind of padding your likely to have breaks from the impact.
Just tuough cotton duck.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #81
PerfectZebra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I have seen them mentioned a couple of times, but nobody seems to have any real input on these jeans: http://www.therokkercompany.com/site...iginal-rokker/

Fully lined with schoeller Dynatec seems like pretty good abrasion resistance. If I'm not mistaken it would be akin to wearing a pair of BMW Summer pants covered in denim. You could go the BYO route with armor, or I believe get d3o as an add-on. Pricey though.
PerfectZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #82
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,520
My daily motorcycle pants are sadly no longer available but I have 2 pair so I'm good for now.
They are Red Route Rider jeans.
Nice looking (IMO) prefaded denim with large Kevlar in the knees, and butt areas with removeable knee armor in exterior zippered pockets and interior hip padding on both sides.
Only downsides is that they need more belt loops and the pocket openings could be a bit bigger. Otherwise very comfy.

http://www.red-route-jeans.co.uk/red...der_jeans.html
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #83
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Armors hanging at the knees could look weird but undressing yourself in your office to remove your strap on armors won't help either.
I don't need to undress to remove the knee armor--I can just slide it on and off with the stretchy straps in place. And I don't necessarily need to remove it anyway.

Been awhile since I've commuted it kevlar-reinforced jeans, though I prolly will again when it's warmer and dryer. Removing the knee armor is pretty similar to removing my overpants--boots come off either way.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #84
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
If you want to be taken seriously in public, you won't show up on a motorcycle, no matter your dress...

Half the time I go out in public and want to be taken seriously, it's a motorcycle safety event.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #85
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I have that bumpersticker, and the one that says
ASHPHALT: WORLD'S FASTEST TATTOO REMOVER.

Know the guy who put the campaign together.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #86
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
I have a pair which I wear if it's not too hot. I usually wear knee armour on top. The kevlar jeans I wear mostly for hip and butt protection.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #87
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,479

+

+

=

Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #88
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
Different brand, but those knee/shin pads are almost identical to the ones I wear. Except mine now look like they were used to armor convoy trucks in Iraq.

They are easy on and easy off even under your riding pants. And they stay put in crash instead or rotating around to the side or riding up like built in knee pads.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #89
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
My daily motorcycle pants are sadly no longer available but I have 2 pair so I'm good for now.
They are Red Route Rider jeans.
Nice looking (IMO) prefaded denim with large Kevlar in the knees, and butt areas with removeable knee armor in exterior zippered pockets and interior hip padding on both sides.
Only downsides is that they need more belt loops and the pocket openings could be a bit bigger. Otherwise very comfy.

http://www.red-route-jeans.co.uk/red...der_jeans.html
I have the same kind - bought them at cycle gear on clearance for a song. Seems like a good product and you're right, they look bitchin.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #90
Bajatacoma
Why me?

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Wow, I'm amazed at the response as the OP. Take a look at compacc.com. Their riding jeans look pretty good to me and there is armor. I'm impressed with the fairly liberal coverage of the Kevlar, knees, butt, hips, thighs. Just to put things in perspective: I'm 65, have owned at least 14 motos since age 16, just sold my DRZ 400 after riding all the trails I could in Moab for 7 months. (My wife who is a bit younger, rode a Super Sherpa) We now own an '88 BMW K75 and (she) a four year old Versys. I love to ride hard, twisties, curvies, etc. but, at my age don't want to break anything if I can help it. She rides a bit more conservatively, but that's as it should be. This is only her third year of riding at age 45, having never ridden before. Although she did a lot of "absolutely hairy" mountain biking while we were in Moab. My hat's off to her.
I've got a pair of the Competition Accessory cargo pants that I wear around town. Like you I'm impressed with them for the price. When going faster than around town or off-road I wear actual motorcycle pants with padding but the cargo pants are nice for going to the grocery store or coffee shop.
Bajatacoma is offline   Reply With Quote