User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
ksburner OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
How to ride dirt cheap

I'm new to this forum so i apologize ahead of time if something like this question has been posted before. With that said...I am a new rider and as soon as I get through MSF and get my endorsement I plan to take a trip. I don't know where I'm going or for how long I'll be gone but my goal is to ride and explore the country and to do it as cheap as I can. So I guess I was wondering if anybody has any ideas about how I can make my trip as cheap as possible. I can live off of Ramen noodles and will eat fresh road kill if that tells you anything about how cheap I am so don't hold back, if it's cheap I want to know about it.

Thanks in advance,

Keith
ksburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,300
Sounds like you need a KLR and a milk crate to start with... and camp at national and state parks.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,537
Read this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315322
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
KLR and stealth camping, no deodorant to keep flies at bay.....also, make 100% sure bike is in tip top condition before you set out! On road repairs are god knows how many more times as expensive than when done at home before the trip.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
IRideASlowBike
Banned

Oddometer: 1,598
Honda Cub or similar, cheap tent or tarp, buy food at a supermarket. No hotels or restaurants, stealth camping only, don't pay to sleep on the ground. Bathe in lakes and rivers. If you have someone riding bitch, make her pay for half the gas and/or pay in sexual favors at the end of the day.

Your mileage may vary.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
wibornz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
When it is cold and rainy, go to a hospital and sleep in the ER. You can get a couple hours and no one will bother you.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
ksburner OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I've seen people talk about stealth camping on here but I haven't seen anybody mention rest areas when it comes to accommodations for the night. Rest areas are all over the highway and truckers and car drivers stop there and sleep...I've done it plenty of times in my car on road trips. Granted I don't think I've ever seen anybody pitch a tent but I don't think it's prohibited either...I mean it is a rest area. Anybody know if it's legal to pitch a tent at a rest area?
ksburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
IRideASlowBike
Banned

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksburner View Post
I've seen people talk about stealth camping on here but I haven't seen anybody mention rest areas when it comes to accommodations for the night. Rest areas are all over the highway and truckers and car drivers stop there and sleep...I've done it plenty of times in my car on road trips. Granted I don't think I've ever seen anybody pitch a tent but I don't think it's prohibited either...I mean it is a rest area. Anybody know if it's legal to pitch a tent at a rest area?

Not recommended, you can easily become a victim of crime. There's a reason cops are always snooping around rest areas. Many rest areas even have signs warning about this. Catching a wink in your car or truck is different than pitching a tent, and yeah, pitching a tent is probably illegal there too. Even falling asleep in the car at night at a deserted rest area is not the most pleasant feeling in the world.

Personally I would not feel comfortable sleeping in a tent at a rest area on a busy highway at night with dozens of people constantly coming and going. I have laid down to catch 30 minutes of sleep or so, right in my gear (didn't take my helmet off, even) on the grass, but that's different.

Remember, the key to stealth camping is stealth. Meaning no one knows you're there. It's easier than you think. And if people don't know you're there, they can't hurt you.

There is no danger to you if there is nobody around, contrary to what numerous horror films try to make you believe. Then the only thing you have to worry about is possibly animals, if you're in bear country.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksburner View Post
High-traffic rest areas? I suppose it could be done, but it wouldn't be fun, for a couple reasons. I'm pretty sure in most modern rest areas it is prohibited to pitch a tent. State laws are going to vary. The ones around here have something like a four-hour time limit. They don't want people camping out for the night.

Additionally, at least for me, I'm not usually very close to a major rest area if I'm off on a trip. Interstates and other high-speed highways are for fast transportation, not seeing the sights.

Now... on the other hand, I have spent the night at quite a few rural rest areas. They're all over in Texas, for example. But it's possible to find roadside picnic areas all over. Most are built by the CCC and long in disuse and I think you could easily set up a tent and not be bothered by anyone at those kinds of rest areas.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
inbred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I Ride for the Pie

I do not always travel cheap. But once in a while I set out on a week trip with the idea that I'm going to spend as little as possible. For starters that means NO Lodging or Camping Fees. Almost NO money spent on food or beverages, with the . exception of a small budget for the following: one or two road-side stops each day for coffee and pie and a stoip each evening for a draft beer to wash away the dust of the day. Probably the biggest challenge is NO Happy ending massage joints. Really, my only on board cash is meant for a few cups of coffee w/ pie, a simple beer AND gas. Since I average about 400 miles per day, the total gas cost is approximately $200.00. The coffee, pie and suds about $90.00. Figure $10.00 miscellaneous and we're talking $300.00 for a 3000 mile seven day adventure. That's 10 cents a mile people.

Doing these trips is very enjoyable to me. I love the tedium that comes from traveling alone on the cheap. I feel like Alex Supertramp from "Into the Wild" Fame. It makes me really appreciate the trips where I splurge a bit more. Makes me feel raw and basic. Just a lone traveler on the road soaking in the sights of the back country and the tarmac stretches in between. And boy is it nice to come home.

One trick. Do not bring a wallet with you. Stash your money in an out of the way pocket. When you walk into a coffee joint, walk up to a waitress and utter these exact words, "Excuse me, I left my wallet at home, but I can sure use a cup of joe." Keep your headed tilted down but look her in the eye. You'd be surprised how often the answer is yes. Even at Starbuck's if they're not busy. I like old fashion restaurants that have pies in glass cases right on the counter. If I score a free cup of black I sit right in front of the case and stare at it like I'm a kitten looking at a goldfish. Time and time again, I've had the waitress, cut me a fat slice and say, "Here, sugar, it's on the house." It makes them feel a whole lot better if you pause and say, "Shuwcks Maam, I can't take that." Of course I relent and when I'm done, I always ask if they got anything I can clean, a grease trap or the employee restroom to thank them for the favor. Seldom do they take me up on my offer, but it's always nice to ask.
inbred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred View Post
I do not always travel cheap. But once in a while I set out on a week trip with the idea that I'm going to spend as little as possible. For starters that means NO Lodging or Camping Fees. Almost NO money spent on food or beverages, with the . exception of a small budget for the following: one or two road-side stops each day for coffee and pie and a stoip each evening for a draft beer to wash away the dust of the day. Probably the biggest challenge is NO Happy ending massage joints. Really, my only on board cash is meant for a few cups of coffee w/ pie, a simple beer AND gas. Since I average about 400 miles per day, the total gas cost is approximately $200.00. The coffee, pie and suds about $90.00. Figure $10.00 miscellaneous and we're talking $300.00 for a 3000 mile seven day adventure. That's 10 cents a mile people.

Doing these trips is very enjoyable to me. I love the tedium that comes from traveling alone on the cheap. I feel like Alex Supertramp from "Into the Wild" Fame. It makes me really appreciate the trips where I splurge a bit more. Makes me feel raw and basic. Just a lone traveler on the road soaking in the sights of the back country and the tarmac stretches in between. And boy is it nice to come home.

One trick. Do not bring a wallet with you. Stash your money in an out of the way pocket. When you walk into a coffee joint, walk up to a waitress and utter these exact words, "Excuse me, I left my wallet at home, but I can sure use a cup of joe." Keep your headed tilted down but look her in the eye. You'd be surprised how often the answer is yes. Even at Starbuck's if they're not busy. I like old fashion restaurants that have pies in glass cases right on the counter. If I score a free cup of black I sit right in front of the case and stare at it like I'm a kitten looking at a goldfish. Time and time again, I've had the waitress, cut me a fat slice and say, "Here, sugar, it's on the house." It makes them feel a whole lot better if you pause and say, "Shuwcks Maam, I can't take that." Of course I relent and when I'm done, I always ask if they got anything I can clean, a grease trap or the employee restroom to thank them for the favor. Seldom do they take me up on my offer, but it's always nice to ask.
You had me...right up until you said "NO Happy ending massage joints". There is "roughing it"...but THAT is just TOO extreme.

Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Firstly get an account on Couchsurfing.org and start hosting people and build up a bit of kudos with that community so you can be hosted in return when you travel.

Eat oats for breakfast. Get a jetboil for 90 quid and you can boil up the water for them every day wherever you are. oats makes breakfast for roughly 50 cents a day or less. It's got protein and carbs, everything you need to set you up for the day.

Those are my tips. GL!
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred View Post
One trick. Do not bring a wallet with you. Stash your money in an out of the way pocket. When you walk into a coffee joint, walk up to a waitress and utter these exact words, "Excuse me, I left my wallet at home, but I can sure use a cup of joe."

Can't say I'd recommend deceiving generous folks to get a free meal. Maybe that's just me.

-1 on that suggestion.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,300
Yeah, I don't think deception works well at all. Better to be up front about things. You probably look rough enough after riding for days to get a cup of coffee, but why lie about it?

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,575
Stealth camping is the best way to save money, a little more difficult to do East of the Miss, and easier to do farther West of the Miss. Main thing is to find a hidden spot if not too far off the road. I once camped in a low spot off a main road where I couldn't be seen. Another less than ideal location was at the back of a storage facility at a one stop sign town.....then of course there are the very back of cemeteries which are pretty good. I've tried to dot he rest stop thing but find myself needing to sleep w/ one eye open...just not a good idea. Every three to four days stay at a real camp site to rinse out clothes and get a shower.

I've actually thought about asking farmers if they would mind if I tossed a tent out in the field for the night and stressing that I won't leave anything behind. As sometimes it's hard to find a secluded spot East of the Miss.

Cemetery...

Storage Facility-no tent just a sleeping pad. It was about 1:30am when I found this spot. Couldn't be seen from the road or neighbors

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote