Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,967
For me, travelling on my bike is not that costly for food because I'm too busy riding most of the time to want to stop for long to eat. Lots of days when I go out for a day ride, I'll have a good breakfast, pack a couple of light snacks like granola bars or jerky and water and maybe stop somewhere for a light lunch. Ride all day on ten dollars worth of gas and five bucks for food.

For lodging, I'll often alternate when I can and camp one night and find a cheap hotel the next night. Works out many times to less than sixty dollars a day over the course of a trip. In my mind, that's pretty cheap travel in 2012....

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #32
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsource View Post
I heard. Through a friend of a friend of a friend. That. If a person has a valid ID. A person can go into a local Sheriffs Office and ask if they have a stranded traveler fund set up by the local Salvation Army. I heard that if they do, a person is given a food bank voucher and a voucher for a local motel. Now. I also heard that if a person is actually trying to get somewhere. They have a destination in mind. They can ask a church for assistance. I recommend volunteering to do some chores in exchange for help. Some church people will go to the gas station and put some gas in your tank. They will also be glad to share food from their food bank. May I suggest that you keep a record of who helps you, in hopes you can pay them back someday, when you find yourself in better financial shape. Or- "Pay it forward." Now. I also know a person can sleep over and stay "free" in Walmart Parking Lots. I happen to know a person who traveled all around the entire United States this way, by car. With no money at all - and no plan. K. So I never did this.

P.S. Ok. I did. But I'm not proud of it. But it was one very interesting chapter in my life. By all means have fun. Nothing Adventured nothing gained.

i was homeless for a while after my house burned down, and traveled like this (similarly at least).

i met with a local church thru the salvation armys lists, and they drove me to greyhound to get a bus voucher and then to get a temporary food stamp card for a week.

NOW, i didnt do it just to do it, i needed to. point is there is help if its really NEEDED. i know that sometimes, even when well prepared, life happens.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Soooooo... To get back on topic...

I believe there was something three pages ago about traveling on the cheap.
I'd say that a KLR is a good start. Gotta admire doing it on a moped, but I far prefer the 'mo' to the 'ped'. I'm just lazy that way.
Wallyworld is trying to get rid of their camping stuff since it is the end of summer, so you could probably get some cheap goodies there. It really doesn't take much. As my Marine Recon friends used to say, travel light - freeze at night. They got by with minimal stuff when need be, it isn't that hard. (and if things get too exciting, you can call your friends with helicopters to extract you)
Also, try couch surfing. I've not done it, but I hear that it's quite an adventure in itself.
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #34
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 156
cheap travel

I think carrying a small stove and some basic supplies (spices,oil in tight plastic cans,oatmeal or granola, powdered milk) then stopping to get a few vegies and a small steak or pork chops before the evening meal lets you have tasty cheap meals.I've used the same coleman cook kit for 30 years As some people have said West side is easier to find out of the way camping. The Wrong (east ) side is harder. still possible Try scouting before dark then go back after dark to sleep.In cities with colleges go around campus area and ask Can I sleep in your yard? Sometimes lumber yards have for sale storage buildings unlocked go to bed after dark just get up early and leave.Remember practice makes perfect.look in ADV Tent Space Thread!
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #35
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerlywinds View Post
I think carrying a small stove and some basic supplies (spices,oil in tight plastic cans,oatmeal or granola, powdered milk) then stopping to get a few vegies and a small steak or pork chops before the evening meal lets you have tasty cheap meals.I've used the same coleman cook kit for 30 years As some people have said West side is easier to find out of the way camping. The Wrong (east ) side is harder. still possible Try scouting before dark then go back after dark to sleep.In cities with colleges go around campus area and ask Can I sleep in your yard? Sometimes lumber yards have for sale storage buildings unlocked go to bed after dark just get up early and leave.Remember practice makes perfect.look in ADV Tent Space Thread!

I'm not sure it's harder just different. In the west there is more open land where you can set up camp. In the east it may be harder to find but for those that are not trying to stealth camp it's as simple as pulling into a parking lot and laying out next to your bike. Why some people try and make it seem like they need to hide I don't know. Maybe it adds to the adventure for them.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #36
p_funk
Frequently Lost

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMFDOC View Post
Also, try couch surfing. I've not done it, but I hear that it's quite an adventure in itself.
Couchsurfing.com is a great (free) resource for those planning out their routes pretty closely. It started out as a list of people with an open couch, but now it seems like >50% are offering up a spare room with hot shower, etc.. It's a bit difficult for the "ride till I'm tired and see where I land" types, as it can take from 1-5 days to get get an offer. I usually camp in more remote bits/on weekdays then try to couchsurf near cities/on weekends. I usually try to "go out on the town" when I'm in a new city, and from my experience, most younger folk will be happy to show you around in exchange for a perfect stranger to dazzle them with adventure stories. It's a network of travelers and like minds so it's bound to be awesome. Don't forget manners though, bring something with you like a bottle of wine, good bread/cheese, and offer to do dishes or buy them a drink or two. After all, they're opening up their home to you. Also, frigid New England folk: don't be freaked out by the overwhelming kindness/generosity of some people. It really does exist.

Someone mentioned the tent space thread here. I've yet to test it out, but it seems like a great thing. Sort of like the above couchsurfing but with an even more specific demographic with even more similar interests. And they have tools.

Also, +1 on the camping stove. Even if you're not trying to re-write the survivalist gourmet cookbook, it's really handy to have. A small solo pot/cup/propane tank/stove combination takes up surprisingly little room and definitely helps in a pinch. Bring bags of rice and oats and it'll pay for itself over time. Even if you want to eat at a restaurant, it's really nice not to need to.
AMA#2890779
NETRA#24973

2003 XR650R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 2003 SV1000N
p_funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #37
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I agree..there is a big difference between being frugal to save on $$$ while tavelling vs being cheap and deceptive towards others while travelling to save $$$. If you can afford the bike and the gas and the computer to type on this forum, you can afford to buy a coffee and some food while on a road trip.
dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #38
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Multi-fuel camp stove that can run on gasoline as an option. Real easy to refill on the road from your tank.

Other than that...Pellet rifle and squirrels. That's my game plan.

Hit em in the head so they don't suffer and you don't have to climb. Can you shoot?
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #39
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Some friends have asked me how I can afford to spend the extra to travel around on the bike so much. I always answer "how much does it cost you to stay at home for a week and have a good time?" (whatever your description of a good time is. No wrong answer here.) Be honest with yourself. Add up whatever you figure out is really extra. A tank of gas,maybe? Admission to some attraction you've never seen and never will unless you go right now? Does it really cost you that much more?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #40
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I subscribe to the theory that I'm going to wait until I'm a little younger, then start to travel.
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #41
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
A National Park pass to get you into all the parks across the country. Combine that with stealth camping. Live off the .99 menu at fast food joints. Jack in the Box two for .99 tacos are quite tasty and filling. Drink water during the day. Splurge for a beer at night. Guinness tastes good cold, cool, and even warm. Can't go wrong with it.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #42
Jeff B
I apologize

Oddometer: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Guinness tastes good cold, cool, and even warm. Can't go wrong with it.

But those damn nitrogen cans always seem to explode in my topcase.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #43
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,177
Hmm, a few weeks away from a fly and ride from Richmond Virginia. Going from there to NE Kentucky to visit with my mom. Then west in some way back to Albuquerque NM. I haven't even received my hard copy motorcycle license yet. A logistics hell to get there with everything that I will need for 3 or 4 weeks. Oh yea, no road experience and will be doing it on a 2006 KLR 650. Considering maybe doing all of the TAT through Arkansas?

I'm gonna roll with ignorance is bliss. Luggage, setup which will be in a parking lot off the airplane. Over 50 years old and preparing to hotel just a few nights, eat cheap and wander westerly. Got the basic camping gear, so just gonna wing it. Inmate advice is welcome.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote