ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
devrodirt OP
devro

Oddometer: 505
Colorado Passes Tracks Wanted

Hey, any of you CO inmates have any tracks of the passes in CO you would/could/can send to me?????
.gdb or .gpx formate would be wonderful.

I'll swap some NW Arknasas tracks.

Send a PM

thanks,
devro
devrodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
fooswolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I posted some Google Earth KML data for Colorado in the following thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...557461&page=22

The post from that thread is below.

Quote:
I noticed that some people have been requesting GPX/KML files for some of the places shown in this thread, and thought I would post a compilation of Colorado Trail data that I have acquired and reorganized. This data is primarily a compilation from two data sources available online. The first is www.Traildamage.comwhich is primarily for 4 wheel drive vehicles. The second is from IntrepidXJ’s Adventure Weblog: http://www.myxj.net/blog/trails. Other sources used to create Google Earth Tracks are visual inspection of Google Earth, a book titled “Colorado Trails – Central Region”, and various National Forrest Service online data. The most complete data is compiled into a Google Earth KMZ file that includes 355 fire roads and trails in 36 of Colorado’s Counties. The data obtained from the website Trail Damage is also available in GPX format. To convert the other KML files not already in GPX format, just download and use GPS Babel to convert from KML to GPX format.

The Google Earth KMZ file includes 3 subfolders “Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads”, “Scenic Paved Roads”, and Colorado Counties”. The Trails in the “Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads” are segregated into the 36 Colorado counties. There are occasional overlaps with some of the roads and trails, but not too many. Unfortunately the “Scenic Paved Roads” is currently a little light, as it only contains the following 3 roads: “Peak to Peak Scenic Drive”, “Independence Pass Road”, and “Highway 285”. It may not be possible to convert the last three to GPX files as they were obtained from ESRI SHP files and probably contain too many points. The KML of the Colorado Counties was useful in compiling and segregating this information and may be useful to you.

The Excel Spreadsheet titled “Colorado Motorcycle Trails.xls” contains all of the roads and trails in the Google Earth KML file categorized alphabetically by Colorado County and alphabetically by Trail. It includes the rating system from the web site Trail Damage and up to eight nearby trails for each trail. This file could be easily modified by those Colorado ADVRIDER’S who are both experienced and interested in providing an actual difficulty rating as well recommended motorcycle size.

Lastly I have not ridden over most of the roads contained in this compiled data and as such cannot personally attest to the accuracy of the information. However, I would not have included the information if I did not have a degree of trust from the various information sources.

“Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads.kmz”
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2moyjyjalnm/Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads.kmz

“Colorado Motorcycle Trails.xls”
http://www.mediafire.com/file/m2mwmmykydi/Colorado Motorcycle Trails.xls

“Trail Damage GPX.zip”
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mvjjwvhqcjh/Trail Damage GPX.zip

Dan
fooswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
devrodirt OP
devro

Oddometer: 505
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
devrodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
ChronicMonkeyButt
Keeley's Mentor

Oddometer: 7
Apologizing in advance for my ignorance, I downloaded the Colorado 4wd & Motorcycle Roads KMZ file, and when I click on it to open, Basemaps tells me it's not a valid KMZ file. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong? Any suggestions on how to get these files ready to load on my 62st?

All I want is some good routes to use in the Vail area when I come up with my KTM 450 in a few weeks.
ChronicMonkeyButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
fooswolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicMonkeyButt
Apologizing in advance for my ignorance, I downloaded the Colorado 4wd & Motorcycle Roads KMZ file, and when I click on it to open, Basemaps tells me it's not a valid KMZ file. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong? Any suggestions on how to get these files ready to load on my 62st?

All I want is some good routes to use in the Vail area when I come up with my KTM 450 in a few weeks.

I recommend loading the KMZ into Google Earth and viewing the file there. If you want individual already created GPX tracts see the TrailDamage GPX. From Google Earth KMZ you can save the individual Trails and Tracts to individual KMZ files. You should be able to import those KMZ files into Basemaps. Or you can convert them to GPX files using readily available free software like GPS Babel. Screen shots of Google Earth displaying how the KML is ordered into County Folders and then by Road/Trail folders are shown below. The first image shows all of Colorado and all of the trails/roads. The second is zoomed in near Vail, Colorado.

Dan

fooswolf screwed with this post 07-18-2010 at 12:26 AM
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
fooswolf
Gnarly Adventurer

You can now access the KML and GPX files for Colorado using the following links below. To download the files select the link and then the File and Download to your computer.

My Google Homepage has several links to downloads you may be interested in.
Fooswolf Homepage

Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads.kmz - As stated above it has 360 4wd roads in 36 of Colorado's Counties.

ALL COUNTY GPX.zip -- Colorado 4WD Roads in GPX Format for all counties

Colorado 4WD Trails Spreadsheet.xls - looks better when you download
This is a spreadsheet compiled listing all of the 4wd roads in the kmz file above with the primitive ratings based on information from the Traildamge website.

Colorado 4WD Trails Spreadsheet.mht - Web Spreadsheet (Download and you can view in your browser)

HartmanRocks.kmz This file contains most of the roads south of Gunnison to Los Pinos Pass and to Cebolla Creek Road. Useful if looking for an all dirt way to get to Lake City from Gunnison, CO. Below is a picture of the Hartman Roads tracks.