Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
If you are really relying on getting gas at a particular suspicious place, try to get some recent local knowledge.
Yeah. Sometimes, I've called a station I wasn't sure of while still in planning mode just to make sure of thier hours and if they actually have gas.

I've had a couple close calls in NM that worked out, but it was close.

Picture being out of gas at 8pm on a Saturday Night in Tierra Amarilla because BOTH of the gas stations in that town happened to be closed. I was riding the 2009 Colorado Classic 1000, and the gas stations had been open in Tierra Amarilla when the rallymaster had pre-run the course a few months previous.

Thankfully I had just enough fuel to get back to Chama, but I was on fumes.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 10:39 PM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
You didn't like my plan? Here's a visual:

Nice day for a ride...
The most of that ride is straight down I-40. I doubt that you were ever more than 25 miles from a gas station along that route. Day or night on the Interstate you are covered.

Most (emphasis on Most) small towns in farm country have gone to a card-swipe system for gas so business hours are less critical, but it is hard to count on that at 2:00 A.M. during an early leg of an IBA ride.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 532
topo9

Delorme Topo 9 let's you input tank size, MPG & puts a gas break icon where your reserve light should go on. Works for me.
Great idea to segment the trip; KISS.
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #19
DJacobsen5116
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Trip Calculator

I've used this several times, mostly from Seattle to points south on my '09 FJR. Prices have been reliable and stations reasonably close to the freeway\highway. I don't have any experience using it on Secondary roads.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/Trip_Calculator.aspx
DJacobsen5116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 305
Planning Gas

Since it hasn't been suggested yet, let me just say that when a gas station shows up and I have ridden more than 100 miles (160 kms) since last filling up I stop. I rarely run the tank down to fumes. Life is too short to ride with clenched buttocks worrying whether I am going to be able to reach the next gas stop. And when I head off the beaten track I put a premium on setting out with as much fuel as possible and so will top off the tank even if I have only put on 50 miles (80 kms) since filling up.

Just my conservative nature.

David
Fatallybitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Google Maps.

Go to street view and look around for a gas station.
easier: pick the town/location, then type 'gas near XXXX', and it will find gas stations or almost anything else for you. You can also use zip codes.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
rlbowers03
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJacobsen5116 View Post
I've used this several times, mostly from Seattle to points south on my '09 FJR. Prices have been reliable and stations reasonably close to the freeway\highway. I don't have any experience using it on Secondary roads.

I've been hacking my way through MapQuest as well as Google Maps trying to plan a trip from Idaho to Georgia. I don't want to end up between Gas stations out in the middle of WY because I was thinking "Just a few more miles. There just HAS to be a gas station soon."

I tried this Gas Buddy site and BAM!!! there it is. Perfect!

83,500 miles and counting
rlbowers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #23
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
incredible the number of issues concerning what should be a relatively straightforward goal...

automated mapping of gas stations along an intended route.

seems like a basic question that stumped many.

you would almost think this isn't the 21st century and we have smart phones and internets.

of course as others pointed out... stations come and go (and any business for that matter)

but this is dealing with fuel stations, a particular business which I would think to be elatively "regulated" and monitored by various agencies. I would also hope they keep tabs on stations "coming and going" and if they are storing fuel, open for business etc...

I would also hope the data be public accessible (even if for a fee) and then plugged in to a route planning mapping program.

similar to gasbuddy but also to select a variety of options... for instance:

riding a vehicle from point A to point B, a distance of 1200 miles over a certain route with a few route variations thrown in for measure. then select a preferred set of brands (say Chevron, Texaco, Shell and then all others) OR other options such as one based on best price. the vehicle gets * average MPG and has * size tank with * typical range.

now map it.

and the result "should be" a relatively straightforward base upon which to ride. (of course carrying extra fuel for the one that blew up last night or got whipped out by a tornado etc is prudent planning)

some would not prefer this.... and this is a "too each their own". so be it. but others (obviously) would enjoy this and I believe the demand is definitely there.

ok so who's programming this up to an app?
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #24
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
My experience that this and other automated search methods are only about 80% reliable for small isolated towns in the west. There are gas stations in some places that don't show up here. And some of the ones that do show up are now closed.

If you are really relying on getting gas at a particular suspicious place, try to get some recent local knowledge.
This is very true. In Wyoming in particular, you can find yourself out of gas if you "know" there's a gas station in the next town and then come to find out the gas station burned down or went out of business a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJacobsen5116 View Post

Gasbuddy is nice because it only shows stations that have been updated within the last 24 hours.

Operating hours are important to know, particularly if you are traveling in Oregon, where all gas has to be pumped by an attendant (not kidding, it really is the law. Stupid, but it's the law.) That means there are no unattended gas pumps in OR and at least in the Eastern part of the state, towns can be few and far between. In 2012 the wife and I were traveling across Oregon and ran out of gas in our truck because the gas station in the town we passed through (where I was planning to fill up) closed about a half hour before we got there.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
This is very true. In Wyoming in particular, you can find yourself out of gas if you "know" there's a gas station in the next town and then come to find out the gas station burned down or went out of business a few years ago.

Gasbuddy is nice because it only shows stations that have been updated within the last 24 hours.

Operating hours are important to know, particularly if you are traveling in Oregon, where all gas has to be pumped by an attendant (not kidding, it really is the law. Stupid, but it's the law.) That means there are no unattended gas pumps in OR and at least in the Eastern part of the state, towns can be few and far between. In 2012 the wife and I were traveling across Oregon and ran out of gas in our truck because the gas station in the town we passed through (where I was planning to fill up) closed about a half hour before we got there.
in my years I've run across these examples plenty of times... I only hope at some point technology in communications etc can let us look back on times like that as a lull in the wind is to current shipping. (also traveled around the world quite a bit on the seas. time marches on...)
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #26
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,405
Garmin GPS app for your cell phone... no pre plan necessary for me.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #27
jared p
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
i always pre-route my trip on google maps and make gas stations destinations so i know i won't be running out along the trip, it's incredibly convenient.
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #28
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,044
The way i look at fuel stops on the GSA is, when i stop just cause I want to I fill up. I never even come close to running out of gas.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 AM   #29
ihatemybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I'm currently planning a trip from Chicago, IL to roughly Bellingham, WA. My bike has a roughly 70-75 mile range here at home, but probably worse in the mountains.

The website www.gasbuddy.com has a what they call a Gas Price Heat Map, when zoomed in to the 2 miles scale or closer the heat map goes away and the individual station prices become visible. Setting the Time Limit to 96 hours will show you all stations that have recent activity and should be safe bets. Changing the Time Limit to All Stations shows locations that have been recorded in the past, yet have no current updates. In my research most of these stations are still open, but it would be wise to call the ones you think you will really be in need of using.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx
Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 AM   #30
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigue_262000 View Post
Thats a great idea. Thank you for the heads up. I only have a range of about 85 miles right now so I carry 2 MSR 30oz bottles along but sometime it still gets to close for comfort so I like to have a fairly good idea as to where I can and can not get fuel. If most of the riding was pavement I wouldnt care, but it is mostly single track or double track.
So with that Husky out here in NM..... You would not make it up to Silver City on the CDR for instance without additional gas or a bigger tank. That distance is 88 miles of desert. Better get a big tank or a Rotopax/Kolpin set-up out here. You want to be able to go about 130 miles at least on a tank. The other problem is that gas stations have weird hours/days of operation and sometimes just go OOB. You just want to have plenty out here. That is why it is "adventure riding" and why we run big gas tanks.It is not like PA with stations everywhere.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote