Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,869
iPhone 5 Charger by Powerlet Products...Buyer beware!

Several months ago I purchased one of Powerlet Products iPhone 5 chargers which has the Apple Lightning Connector.

Certified Apple Lightning connectors have chips in them to make sure they properly switch the voltage to the correct pins and to assure that the vendor has certified the connector and the associated device, the Charger, meets the iPhone 5 Lighting spec's.

I discovered that my iPhone 5 was not charging once and a while and then I saw the notification on my iPhone that the connected device is not compliant/certified and may not function properly with my iPhone 5.

I took another look at Powerlets website and nowhere was it stated that these chargers and Lightning connector were not certified for use with the iPhone 5.

I contacted Powerlet by email and informed them of what I found. Three months later I received a reply saying basically nothing but that Cust. Support would check with Engineering. I suggested that Powerlet should make it clear on their webpage for the PCC-033 products that they are not Apple Certified. Three more months have passed and no change to the website and no further response from Powerlet Products.

If you purchased one of these products you might be interested in the following article from AppleInsider.com:

I have in the past thought that the Powerlet products were well made and that Powerlet was an honest company. My views have changed.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 877
Glad that is a non-issue for my devices.
Just sayin'.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Not saying powerlet is off brand but .........I think all "off brands" or "no name" of the so called cheap chargers can be suspect quality in many areas from over voltage, over charging, under charging, radio interference, poor plug quality causing device damage to mention a few.

Buyer beware..........
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
the_real_wild1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Are you sure it isn't charging. My phone will say that with most of my chargers, but they do charge. The phone had always been fine until a couple updates ago. Nothing wrong with the phone or the charger, just the apple company trying to squeeze more money out of us.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
MotoDaveL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_wild1 View Post
just the apple company trying to squeeze more money out of us.

Exactly, Bitch to Apple and tell them to leave standardized specs alone and to stop trying to mess with it to make it their own.
MotoDaveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
Travis Lutter
MMA

Oddometer: 70
I had that same problem with the 4. When I switched to the 5 I used a apple car charger. Just had it wired it. That way I knew the amps were right. Nothing worse then thinking something is working and it isn't. I used Powerlet for my gps but on my apple stuff staying away.
Travis Lutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,165
meh, ive used a few different chinese chargers with my iphones 3-5, no issues.

the chinese charge/synch cables are total junk, but the chargers have worked fine for me.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 203
I've used the Powerlet charger on my iPhone 4 for almost 2 years without any problems.
Since I upgraded to the 5s I had to get a new Powerlet charger. Haven't had any kind
of charging problem yet. I kinda agree with the_real_wild1 on the whole Apple thing.
They've always been stingy with their technology, hence the ability to keep the price
high. Plus, it gives the company an easy out when/if it comes to any warranty issues.
You know, like Harley-Davidson and their "Officially Licensed Harley Davidson Parts".

I get the infamous "not compiant/certified" warning on my phone occasionally. I just
unplug it and plug it back in and it usually goes away. Always charges. Franly, I'd
trust Powerlet more than any of the other lesser brands.
CPORet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
Xaque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I have a powerlet USB plug hardwired, and when I try to charge my iPhone5 with an OEM cable, I get the "unsupported device" message and it does not charge.

I was actually hoping to call powerlet and get suggestions (after my google searching revealed nothing of substance), but your post has killed any optimism I had.
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,968
I bought the SAE to USB converter in the Aerostich catalog and it works fine with my iphone 5s. I am using the factory usb cable and it kept my device fully charged for a week of travelling.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #11
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
I bought the SAE to USB converter in the Aerostich catalog and it works fine with my iphone 5s. I am using the factory usb cable and it kept my device fully charged for a week of travelling.
I just got one of those off Amazon for $10 which I think is a good price.

I use a powerlet to charge my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 but am finding that the USB to micro sometimes does not work correctly. It could be the way I have it configured in a RAM case so I have ordered a different USB to micro cable to test it. I wanted the SAE as a backup.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote