User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
ststrider OP
some guy on a bike

Oddometer: 375
tekvest freestyle vs rally max

looking for opinions on comfort on hot days.is there that much difference in how much air they flow? i wear a hydration pac so the pockets are unnecessary. currently using a rockgarden air under jersey armor suit but it no longer fits well and more protection is better more so when you get old.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,244
Freestyle's their 2nd-most-ventilated product right now.

Firstmost being the new Crossover.

In terms of protection, the Freestyle and RallyMax are pretty much the same. With the additional features/fabric on the Rally Max, they cover that much more area for ventilation. Rally Max uses CoolMax fabric on the inside, it may help, but I don't know how it compares to simply having more ventilation. I haven't worn a RallyMax yet.

The area under the zipper in the Freestyle and Rally Max isn't armored. There's a ~2" gap down the chest where the zipper is that's "naked".
I hit the bars on my sled a -lot-; while that vest saved me a lot of pain in several wrecks, I also came out with a lot of bruises where there wasn't armor. I haven't had an issue with it on the bike, but it's something to consider (and I'm pretty nutty about armor).

Crossover removes the armor element from the back, making it more compatible with a pack... but in the chest, it's the same setup my snocross race vest is. Solid chest plate, buckled side-entry vest. One shoulder's velcro'd to make getting the vest on/off with a neck brace easier.
The back panel of the Crossover (gray perforated panel) stands off your back about 3/8" - gives you a nice air channel even with a pack on.
I've worn it a few times on the sled, prefer my race vest. It's seen a lot of action while i'm photog'n snocross/hillclimb races, and it's surprisingly comfortable considering it's 2" taller than their typical cut.

With any of them, you can wear it looser to flow more air and stay cooler, or cinch it down to keep some body heat in.
I can't wear my race vest on warm days on the bike. Been wearing the Freestyle for many years now, and as soon as I get the bike back together I suspect the Crossover may replace the Freestyle.

Shoulder pads are optional with Crossover and Freestyle (I believe with the Rally Max too); I do recommend adding those.
On the topic of size: Their sizes run small. I usually wear XL t-shirts, Lg jackets, and the Medium Tekvest fits me well. If you've got a dealer (check the sled dealers) nearby that carries them, I suggest trying one on before commiting to a purchase. If you're in doubt, I'd err on the smaller side.

Of all their vests I've had, I've had the Freestyle the longest. It's definitely got the most miles on it. That said, in terms of comfort I prefer the sno-x race vest. Too hot to wear in the summer though.

Vest, Jersey, and armored shorts... all Tekrider... They make good gear.
(full disclosure, they have taken good care of me through the years)

Photo by Kalie Larae

SnowMule screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 11:20 PM
SnowMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
I have the freestyle and really like it. Comfortable when it's warm out (it rarely gets really hot here in 'da frozen north), and also adds warmth when its cold out.

I like the easy on/off of the freestyle. I don't feel like the little gap by the zipper in the front really makes that much of a difference.

I would vote the freestyle over the rallymax, because it breaths better, and I really don't need the tiny little pockets on the rallymax.

I normally wear a jacket (either mesh or textile depending on temps) over my tekvest. My jacket has plenty of pockets.

Occasionally, I do wear the tekvest with no jacket, but then I put any pocket type stuff in my tankbag.

Either way, you will be very happy with the level of protection a tekvest provides.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote