Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #61
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
Most of the big online retailers are offering the standard colors at $584 and the metallics at $598, plus they offer about $30 in store credit for future purchases. Based on that your deal at $565 sounds fine to me. Now the question is, how's the helmet?
Got the Neotec today and went for initial test ride. Very different feel from the Multitec; much more solid feeling and not as plush. Seems substantially quieter which is very high on my priority list. I always ride with earplugs and the Neo puts pressure on your ears which further insulates you from the niose at the expense of a little ear comfort. This may go away as helmet gets broken in (I hope). The slide down sun visor will take some getting used to as it doesn't cover my eyes closely enough to feel comfortable cruising with the screen open. But I like it for the excellent optics and convenience. Very nice helmet. Oh and lest I forget, the venting is very effective.

I had mentioned something about a price discrepancy with Competition Accessories and that appears to have been an error on my part.
Jim

jimmex screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 08:52 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #62
Tytanium
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I went to a local BMW dealer today and spent about an hour with both the C3 and the Neotec. I left having placed an order for a matte black Neotec as a result of the side-by-side comparison.

My impressions (table tested - not worn while riding):

1) Quality: The C3 has been left behind. Prior to jumping back into the military I spent 7 years in sales and consulting in the polymer / elastomer manufacturing business designing orthopedic medical tools, aerospace components, etc etc. the Neotec is a well thought out design and the quality of ALL components exceeds that of the C3.

- Visor is of a higher quality - visibility through the Neotech is as if the visor is not there. This hold true for both the clear visor and the sun shade.
- visor and sunshade are thicker than the C3. One of the three C3s i looked at had a warped sun visor which was detectable while looking thru it and impeded it operation - would not retract without an effort.
- The "front corners" of the C3 flex very easily as the shell is thinner than the Neotech. I found that if the bottom front of the helmet was flexed in or out it would hamper the operation of the sun visor (on ALL THREE C3 helmets I looked at).
- Liner - the Neotech is luxurious. The C3 has a square patch of material in the front of the helmet (above the forehead where the cranium starts to turn toward the crown) that gave me a hot-spot very quickly. The guys at the dealership said its a common complaint for the C3.
- Liner - the C3 has what I'll call curtains on the right and left side of the liner that just kinda "hang" into the helmet. This may be for an engineered reason that escapes me..... but it didn't provide a comfy fit.

2) Style: The C3 wins in this category IMHO.

- The smooth C3 shell void of ridges, aerodynamic "spoilers" etc just looks better as far as I'm concerned. But this is completely subjective. Others may completely disagree with me.
- The shell for the Large C3 is smaller (and a little less heavy) than the Neotec. The C3 will have you looking less like a character from Space Balls (Dark Helmet if you like black lids).

3) Function: Neotech wins big time (except chin strap).

- Sun Visor operation is very smooth on the Neotech. if you look at the Neotech there is a "swell" in the shell on the front of the helmet. This is to allow for smooth operation of the sun visor. this swell is the space the sun visor retracts into - great design. Not as pretty as the smooth C3 shell but the trade of is a much smoother operating visor. The visor "lever" on the left side of the helmet works "backwards" in my opinion. push it up and the visor comes down. Push it down and the visor retracts. A real plus - the visor stays in any position you put it and it seems like it will stay put even while riding.
- Chin Bar: lets start by saying I have a prominent chin (nothing like Leno). The Neotec chin bar gives me plenty of room for my lower mandible and there's plenty of room for a com system boom mic. Not so in the C3. I couldn't fit a mic in the C3 unless it was smashed against my lips (not touching - completely pressed into my lips).
- Chin Bar Operation: Neotec wins. Smoother. More rigid - does not flex when being operated with one hand. Pin lock is smoother and requires less force to lock. The C3 flexes and feel cheap to me. I prefer the location of the release for the chin bar on the C3 over the Neotec but it's not enough of a factor given the C3s other chin bar shortcomings.
- Visor operation - Neotech wins. More positive locking at the various open positions than the C3. Thicker polymer. Better horizontal and vertical viewing.
- Sun visor operation - Neotech wins. Super clear. Positive "stick-tion" in any position. Comes down a touch lower. Doesn't touch my nose (also kinda "prominent") like the C3s.
- C3 chin strap wins BIG. The Neotech uses old school D rings whereas the C3 uses the quick release style. I'm very used to the quick on / quick off chin strap after riding for years wearing a couple Nolans. Not sure why Shoei did this but it is a big detractor IMO.

4) Comfort: Neotec wins again.

- My head shape is oval/neutral - definitely not round. C3 seems to be a touch more "round"
- The Neotechs liner is far more luxurious than the C3s. Every part of the liner that is in contact with the head is soft enough and pliable enough that it felt VERY good on my head.
- See the blurb above about the square patch of fabric above. Helmet guy at BMW dealership said he was told that Schuberth knows its an issue for some riders and they are planning to fix the problem for 2013. This is pure hearsay but it is what he told me - perhaps it's true.
- Weight - C3 Wins but both feel light when on the head. Both are very well balanced when worn with the chin bar up and down. The C3 is far lighter than anything I've ever owned (far lighter "feeling" than my Army ACH and Apache IHADSS) so I'm doing better even with the Neotec.

Not evaluated:
Noise level
Airflow

Given I like the styling of the C3 better I was hoping to discover they were equals or that the C3 was the superior lid for me. Kinda disappointed that I had no choice but to choose the second best looking helmet. But the quality, fit and function all seem to lead me to the Neotec.

There you have one very limited review (unorganized pontification). Things like fit are very subjective. Quality on the other hand (bear in mind I looked at three of each helmet) is pretty straight forward stuff. I can honestly state that I think my Nolan N100 feels like a higher quality helmet than the C3. The C3 is very light - VERY light - and I think concessions were made in the helmet components to realize such a light helmet (thin shell, thin and overly flexible chin bar, thin visor, thin sun visor, etc).

Hope this helps someone by giving some things to zero in on when making your own helmet choice.

T
Tytanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #63
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Tytanium thanks for the review. IIRC, I and others have confirmed that the Neo does come with the ratchet, for some stupid reason the versions sold in the US are fitted with the D-ring. Hence I'll have to buy mine in Europe/UK, etc.

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #64
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
I've been doing some searches and found this online store in the UK. This place seems to be reputable, can anyone who's done business with these guys please confirm?

http://www.justhelmets.co.uk/index.p...art&Itemid=190

The pricing compared to what you can get the same helmet for in the US is much higher at GBP 470, which translates to the UK price of $748. The only thing that makes this "hurt" a little bit less is that in "my money" this comes to 60,000, which is still cheaper than what the Neo will sell for in Japan, when they eventually release them here (with the ratchet buckle).

This really sucks because in the US you can get the Neo for $584, except of course that some retard bureaucrat in the US decided to not approve the ratchet buckle for use in the US (confirmed with RevZilla yesterday).

Just to emphasize how stupid this is I bought my old Nolan N102 in the US back in 2007 with the ratchet buckle...

http://www.motorcyclehut.co.uk/helme...ain-anthracite

http://www.twowheel.co.uk/shoei-neot...nthracite.html

Edit: just added two more online stores, in case anyone here knows/has bought from these. The UK pricing from all of these stores is identical.

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #65
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Oh I want one of these neotec's bad. I may put my other 3 Shoei's up FS to fund this model. I did find a deal on a shelved multi tech, but that video made the neotec extremely convincing.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #66
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytanium View Post
Given I like the styling of the C3 better I was hoping to discover they were equals or that the C3 was the superior lid for me. Kinda disappointed that I had no choice but to choose the second best looking helmet. But the quality, fit and function all seem to lead me to the Neotec.

There you have one very limited review (unorganized pontification). Things like fit are very subjective. Quality on the other hand (bear in mind I looked at three of each helmet) is pretty straight forward stuff. I can honestly state that I think my Nolan N100 feels like a higher quality helmet than the C3. The C3 is very light - VERY light - and I think concessions were made in the helmet components to realize such a light helmet (thin shell, thin and overly flexible chin bar, thin visor, thin sun visor, etc).

Hope this helps someone by giving some things to zero in on when making your own helmet choice.

T
Been using a C3 for the past three years on my daily 30 mile commute and touring regularly on weekends. I haven't had a single issue with it and the fit and finish remains "like new" so rest assured that quality is tops. For me the fit is perfect and it's hands down the most comfortable helmet I've owned no aches and pains at all even after doing an ironbutt. Not sure how anyone can find shortcomings with the inner lining. It's velvet soft and very plush, and it also shows no signs of wear after three years. The "thin" sun visor also continues to function perfectly, as does the optically clear shield, and I have no problem opening and closing the front section with one hand.

I find haven't had a chance to check out a Neotec in person yet but damn it does look bobble head huge in the vid. I definitely prefer the lighter weight and sleeker appearance of the C3.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #67
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Head shapes

The best fitting helmet I've owned was a RF800. My current helmet is a Multi-tec, which I like quite well, but it's never fit my head as well or felt as "cushy" as the RF800. I think the MT is more round in shape than the 800 and my head is quite oval.

It sounds like the C3 is more round, so that's out. Can anyone comment on the oval/roundness of the Neotec vs the Multi-tec? Or better yet has anyone had an RF800 and a NT for comparison's sake?
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #68
xiculau
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I want to buy this helmet early

In spain in this place 479€ http://www.motosprint-shop.com/es/ca...6699_2006.html

Some one knows if is posible put inside to the top case of BMW 1200gs this helmet size L ???

Thanks and sorry for my English

xiculau screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 09:26 AM
xiculau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #69
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Interesting thread. I have a question for the people who has some experience with the C3:
I've been using an Arai Vector(intermediate oval) and tried a C3 XL which is my size but there was a little tight spot at the forehead, rest of the fit including the neck was perfect. Do they break in like Arai liners or should I try the Shoei?
Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #70
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
Interesting thread. I have a question for the people who has some experience with the C3:
I've been using an Arai Vector(intermediate oval) and tried a C3 XL which is my size but there was a little tight spot at the forehead, rest of the fit including the neck was perfect. Do they break in like Arai liners or should I try the Shoei?
Thanks
look for some of the Schuberth C3 threads.. this is the spot in the forehead that causes the infamous "mark of Schuberth." it is a big problem with lots of creative solutions.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #71
phobe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I came close to buying the C3 but the sizes just didn't quite work for me. The large felt good except for an immediate hot spot at the top of my forehead. The XL didn't cause the hot spot but also didn't quite feel snug enough to be properly safe.

I tried a Large Neotec at a show and it felt perfect. The shell also felt sturdier than the C3 and the drop-down visor felt more secure. I like the Shoei liner but the Schuberth liner did feel a little more luxurious to me.

I've got a white L on order, waiting impatiently. My current helmet is a Shoei X11 size L, which fits perfectly and breathes wonderfully but is very very loud. The Neo will be my first modular.
phobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #72
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobe View Post
I've got a white L on order, waiting impatiently. My current helmet is a Shoei X11 size L, which fits perfectly and breathes wonderfully but is very very loud. The Neo will be my first modular.
I'm talking a little out of school here, but unless the X11 fits larger than the previous X-series helmets (which from my experience were smaller than the RF-xxxx helmets), the Neo is going to be big for you. I'd always worn an XL in Shoei until the Multi and the RF1100, which fits in a large. i doubt my head has shrunk. My brain...maybe. Good luck though.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #73
Zupsic
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Neotec Noise and Vents

After about 1,000 miles with the Neotec on, I have two questions / concerns. The first is that it is not as quiet as I anticipated. Maybe it is just me or lack of a good point of reference, I get that noise is somewhat subjective. Has anyone compared the Neotec with the C3, while actually riding?

The second concern is not subjective; the top vent seems to leak air no matter the configuration. Riding this weekend in 45 degrees, there was a constant cold draft blowing on the top of my head. If you open and close it a couple times, it seems to stop, but after awhile it starts leaking again. Anyone else having this problem?

For riders interested in the internal sun visor feature, it works great.
Zupsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #74
Core10metal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Um thats wierd, that was my exact experience...exact. Oh well. Quest continues for a quiet helmet.
Core10metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #75
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,967
Question comparo du whatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupsic View Post
... it is not as quiet as I anticipated....
Compared to which?
What did you have before the Neo?
I'm curious as I have an Arai Q2 and a Multi and would really like to know how the Neo compares to the Multi in the quiet dept.
For reference the Q2 is much quieter and lighter than the Multi.
Oranges n apples I guess, but spring $585 for the Neo without availability for testing (yet) is a gamble at best.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote