Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #76
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
I have been wearing my multi for 4.5 years. I have been waiting for Shoei to make an improved version with a visor for several years. When the news of the neo came I was happy but concerned. $600 is a lot of money. After reading all I could I had to drive 200 miles to the closest store that had one to try on. Actually Cycle gear in baton rouge special ordered one for me even though they did not know me and had no guarantee I would show up or buy it. The neo fits just like everyone said, just like the multi. And like most said the cheek pads are a little tighter. Finish is top notch. The action is very smooth as you flip the front up. The ventilation also is great much, much more than the multi. Did I forget quite? It is very quite and much more than the multi. Yesterday I took the chin curtain off and it was noisier than I expected. Today I put the chin curtain back on and it is very, very quite. The sun visor is great!!!!!!! I can see that I will have many happy years with this helmet. Thank you cycle gear Baton Rouge. Not only did they order me the helmet with no guarantee they also beat online prices by $10. Thank you.
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #77
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupsic View Post
After about 1,000 miles with the Neotec on, I have two questions / concerns. The first is that it is not as quiet as I anticipated.
What style of bike are you riding and is there a windshield or fairing on it?
That could be the source of the noise?

I ride mostly sport bikes, so it would be nice to hear from someone that has they're head in the wind.

Cheers
Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #78
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,077
Cool2 Neotechism

screwit
I ordered one from Motorcycle Superstore...had a damn 10% off coupon.
They got me again...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #79
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
My new Neotec should be with me tomorrow. I was looking for a replacement for my ageing Multitec, and after reading as much as I could online as well as seeing Revzillas good review I went ahead and purchased it, with out seeing it in the flesh.

TAM
Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #80
Alvibes
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupsic View Post
After about 1,000 miles with the Neotec on, I have two questions / concerns. The first is that it is not as quiet as I anticipated. Maybe it is just me or lack of a good point of reference, I get that noise is somewhat subjective. Has anyone compared the Neotec with the C3, while actually riding?

The second concern is not subjective; the top vent seems to leak air no matter the configuration. Riding this weekend in 45 degrees, there was a constant cold draft blowing on the top of my head. If you open and close it a couple times, it seems to stop, but after awhile it starts leaking again. Anyone else having this problem?

For riders interested in the internal sun visor feature, it works great.
Since it is my 1rst post I guess i Have to Introduce myself I am Alek I live in Paris, France. And google leads me here ("how bizarre !" isn't it) but i have to admit the forum is quite well done and active comparing to those we get here.

I bought my Neotec yesterday. I have the same issue with the wind getting through the top vent straight to the top of my skull and I can tell you here in france : the weather was quite chilly this morning resulting in a freezing and unpleasant feeling (comparing to my old lowtech Nolan n101 who was much more wind proof...).

I have another issue by the way, the ratchet system (witch is not on the american version apparently) annoying me since it's to close from my Adam's apple getting me strangled a bit, it might be due to a thick piece of rubber that coated the steel ratchet to prevent any injure I guess. For such a high price range product it is kind of a disappointment...

Sorry in advance for my english
Alvibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #81
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer: 82
New Neotec

I tried out my new Neotec last night on my 1150RT. Very nice. Love the drop down visor. The helmet is quieter than my Arai Quantum II. The real test is when I have it on for hours at a time. Trip from MN to AZ in May will test that situation.

JL
ipaqpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #82
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Mine arrived today, as of yet I have not tried in on the road but the fit and finish is great. It feels like my old Multitec but a bit plusher, especially the cheek pad area. The drop down visor come down low enough that it looks like it will work well. The ratchet chin strap took a few moments to get used to but seems easy enough to operate now I personally don't seem to have the issue of the ratchet buckle pressing on my Adams apple. I am looking forward to trying it on the commute to work tomorrow.
TAM
Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #83
rikki tikki tavi
mongoose is gone

Oddometer: 258
Fogs up too often

I've had my Neo for a few weeks, and have ridden quite a lot in temps from 34 to 70 degrees F, speeds up to 80 mph, and have a major gripe with this lid...

It fogs up too freakin much. (note that I have not installed the Pinlock shield or removed the chin curtain yet).

On the way home from work tonight (2330), with temp at 45 F and light mist/drizzle, it fogged up unacceptably even while on the hwy at 70mph, unless I cracked it open 1/2". Even with all vents open (and shield closed) it fogged. I don't want to install the Pinlock yet, since it is close to the end of 'cool' season and running all summer with Pinlock seems a waste. Figured I'd wait until next cold season.

But the fogging at moderate temps is a bitch. At stoplights, gotta have the shield waaaay cracked open, and at speed, with all vents open, there should be NO fogging, but there sure was.

I have the breath guard installed, but it's a pitiful excuse for function. My RF-1000 had a great breath guard...wide, deep and covered your nose like an oxygen mask; this guard is nothing like that, just a sliver of rubber and no functionality at all.

I'm thinking I need to remove the chin guard to allow more exhaust, but this will increase the wind noise.

I had high expectations for this lid, but I'm finding that overall it's not as great as advertised.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #84
cybtech
K13S Rider

Oddometer: 4
Hi guys,

Got my NEOTEC yesterday evenning and i noticed this morning the problem with the upper vent letting a lot of unwanted air pass right on your skull...

Beside, excuse me for my english, i'm also french and i live near Paris ;)

I hope that Shoei will react quickly about this problem...
cybtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #85
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikki tikki tavi View Post
snip

I don't want to install the Pinlock yet, since it is close to the end of 'cool' season and running all summer with Pinlock seems a waste. Figured I'd wait until next cold season.

snip
Why wait? You know you can take it out again no problem? I have one in my XD3 that I just remove when I'm going to be riding dirt. It's no big deal at all.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #86
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
The problem with pinlocks is sometimes they fog as well (rainy days) and the fog takes far too long to clear behind the pinlock. I run my C3 without the pinlock and it always stays fog free on the move if the chin vent is open.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #87
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybtech View Post
Hi guys,

Beside, excuse me for my english, i'm also french and i live near Paris ;)

No worries on your english...........but being French might be a little tough to take

Cheers
Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #88
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 611
So 'back in the day' (early to mid 80's) we used to just wipe the inside of the visor with some dish washing liquid (palmolive kinda stuff, the green stuff) and that prevented fogging for ages. Are you telling me that in over 20 years helmet manufacturers haven't completely resolved the fogging issue and someone hasn't come out with a wipe on liquid that is better than palmolive? I love the look of this helmet but fogging will pi$$ me off! Clearly, I have no experience of pinlock systems so I need to learn more about those.
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #89
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Tried mine today on the commute to work, and I would have to say the Neotec is defiantly quieter and more comfortable than my Multitec. I did not have any issues with fogging, but I did have the Pinlock installed. The sun visor works well, sits low enough to to give almost full coverage and does not interfere with my specs. There is slightly more room in the chin area.
All good new so far, however I to was getting the constant draft on the top of my head, and as it was 8 degC today in sunny Scotland, that is a cold draft. No combination of vents open or closed seem to eliminate it, although shutting all vents including the chin bar vent seem to reduce it slightly. ( this helmet will be good for the summer when the temps get higher as it really does well well with all vents open)
I have been in contact with the company who I bought my Neotec who have been in touch with Shoei Europe,and told me " and they are emailing to confirm this, the helmet is desgined to give a constant air flow even when the vents are shut. This is a design feature rather than a flaw as there has been complaints in the past that their helmets are too air tight and stuffy."
I think they may need to look at this issue and possible do something like the Schuberth C3 with the 2 flaps of material to prevent drafts in winter from their top vent. (note. the reason I did not go with the C3 was the fit across the forehead)

So those of you suffering a drafty head may I suggest you contact your supplier or Shoei
TAM
Old 03-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #90
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMTAM View Post
Tried mine today on the commute to work, and I would have to say the Neotec is defiantly quieter and more comfortable than my Multitec. I did not have any issues with fogging, but I did have the Pinlock installed. The sun visor works well, sits low enough to to give almost full coverage and does not interfere with my specs. There is slightly more room in the chin area.
All good new so far, however I to was getting the constant draft on the top of my head, and as it was 8 degC today in sunny Scotland, that is a cold draft. No combination of vents open or closed seem to eliminate it, although shutting all vents including the chin bar vent seem to reduce it slightly. ( this helmet will be good for the summer when the temps get higher as it really does well well with all vents open)
I have been in contact with the company who I bought my Neotec who have been in touch with Shoei Europe,and told me " and they are emailing to confirm this, the helmet is desgined to give a constant air flow even when the vents are shut. This is a design feature rather than a flaw as there has been complaints in the past that their helmets are too air tight and stuffy."
I think they may need to look at this issue and possible do something like the Schuberth C3 with the 2 flaps of material to prevent drafts in winter from their top vent. (note. the reason I did not go with the C3 was the fit across the forehead)

So those of you suffering a drafty head may I suggest you contact your supplier or Shoei
TAM
Tape the holes up.