Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
40-hole 17x3.50 rims? Sportster supermoto?

I need a 40-hole 17x3.50 rim for my GL1000 supermoto project. I was hoping there'd be a source for 17" rims for the Harley Sportster, for people who want to build their own supermoto/scrambler, but alas I can't find squat with 40 spoke holes.

Does anyone have a source for this? Preferably in black...

Charles.
ChopperCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
I need a 40-hole 17x3.50 rim for my GL1000 supermoto project. I was hoping there'd be a source for 17" rims for the Harley Sportster, for people who want to build their own supermoto/scrambler, but alas I can't find squat with 40 spoke holes.

Does anyone have a source for this? Preferably in black...

Charles.
Buchanan?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Buchanan?
Buchanan's can custom drill rims.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Buchanan's can custom drill rims.
Yes. If Buchanan can't hook you up then it's probably gonna be hard to find. I just checked though and their standard Sun Rims are drilled up to 40 holes for their standard price, with more being additional. They have them in 17x3.50 and offer them anodized in different colors for an additional fee. Just call them up and discuss your needs in rims and matching spoke sets.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
joexr
Banned

They have Excel's too.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So no place where I can get a 40 spoke with the proper nipple dimples? :(

I don't want an expensive one off, I was hoping to buy something off the shelf for 150 or so, plus spokes.

Charles.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
joexr
Banned

How about steel rims then?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So no place where I can get a 40 spoke with the proper nipple dimples? :(

I don't want an expensive one off, I was hoping to buy something off the shelf for 150 or so, plus spokes.

Charles.
IDK. $150 is pretty cheap for 17" aluminum rims. I've seen some custom builds where I read they laced new 17" rims to stock Sporty hubs. This one from CRD appears to use normal spoke dimples. Their site says it uses Excel rims. Won't be gettin' 'em for $150 though.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
How about steel rims then?
Steel is perfectly fine with me! Still unable to find them though. I can buy 16 inchers all day for 60 bucks, or 36 hole 17 inchers for 125, but 40 hole 17 inch rims go for $300??

Charles
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Steel is perfectly fine with me! Still unable to find them though. I can buy 16 inchers all day for 60 bucks, or 36 hole 17 inchers for 125, but 40 hole 17 inch rims go for $300??

Charles
Well, I'd say that it's because 17" tires are a somewhat recent advent in the motorcycle world, having come along more in line with performance oriented machines, and most of them are cast or forged wheels. 17" spoked wheels just aren't that common. 18" and 19" seems to be much more common on older bikes and new steel wheels are mostly purchased as replacements for stock on bikes that need a new wheel for whatever reason. My Sporty has 16" steel wheels front and rear, so stock replacements would be easy enough to find. But, converting to a more performance oriented 17" size is more of a specialized thing, and while it's nice that we CAN get them if we want, we have to accept that it isn't a common mainstream thing to do. Especially as you get to the less common 40 spoke rims. With 40 spoke wheels being less common, the chances of finding a cross-over rim from another model that used 17" wheels becomes less. They are available from at least a couple of manufacturers in aluminum. I'd guess that's because most people interested in doing this (supermoto racers for example) want the strength and light weight of a quality aluminum rim. But since it's more specialized, the price is higher.

I fully understand your motivation. I'd like to build something like the one I posted above from CRD. I'd probably be good with black powder coated steel wheels too if I could save significant money. But, I've never seen a budget solution since it's just not common enough for a manufacturer to produce and offer them, I suppose.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,576
Randy, Would you post the link for the folks that did that Sportster build?

ChopperCharles, are you writing a build thread? Or should I start to lurk this?
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
Randy, Would you post the link for the folks that did that Sportster build?

ChopperCharles, are you writing a build thread? Or should I start to lurk this?
Yep. It's from Cafe Racer Dreams (CRD) in Spain. HERE'S the link to that particular bike. It's all in Spanish, but google translate, or whatever, will make it somewhat readable if you don't read the language.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yep. It's from Cafe Racer Dreams (CRD) in Spain. HERE'S the link to that particular bike. It's all in Spanish, but google translate, or whatever, will make it somewhat readable if you don't read the language.
Thanks, dreaming of the day I have more dollars than sense... Oh well (for now)
CC, sorry about the temporary highjacking of your thread.
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #14
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
Thanks, dreaming of the day I have more dollars than sense... Oh well (for now)
CC, sorry about the temporary highjacking of your thread.
Yeah, me too! But, really, that build isn't too extravagant. The Storz road racer tank is pricey, and it all adds up when doing a custom build. But, If starting with a nice used Sporty in the $5K range or so, I'm pretty sure I could build a similar bike for less than I have in my 48 (purchased new and then upgraded a little). And I've seen other interesting builds that work with the stock HD tank too, so a nice custom Sporty can be done pretty cheaply. Just had a LOT of expenses lately so funds for another project just isn't in the cards right now. But that doesn't stop me from the research, planning, and dreaming.

Sorry for the hijack, CC.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No build thread yet. But it seems to me that inexpensive 40-spoke 17" rims would sell like hotcackes on eBay. Think... a Kawasaki H1 two-stroke triple with modern tires, but it still looks stock. A CB750 cafe running modern tires, but still has those wonderful spoked wheels. Hell an RD350 with modern tires would rock my socks. Make them readily available and the cafe crowd would go nuts, I think.

Charles.