Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #31
Buckaroo Banzai OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Weather's been nice so I've been riding some. Yesterday, on a short ride my headlight fell off. The plastic bucket
the headlight fits in was cracked where PO had tightened it too much. Had to unplug headlight and drive home.

Called dealer today and the plastic bucket is $84.00. At least it didn't break lens etc. Got the headlight taped in till the replacement comes in.

But finally getting to drive the guzzi some. Overall, it seem like a nice bike. Can't wait till it warms up more to really give it some good rides.

Checked on my warranty. 2008 but was sold new in June of 2011 so I have a warranty on a 2008 that's good till June 2013. I sure didn't figure on that.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #32
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
Checked on my warranty. 2008 but was sold new in June of 2011 so I have a warranty on a 2008 that's good till June 2013. I sure didn't figure on that.
with Roadside Assistance

I bought a leftover 2008 1200 Sport in May 2010, carried the little wallet sticker just in case. Covers about ten miles of towing/hauling if memory serves.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #33
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Called dealer today and the plastic bucket is $84.00. At least it didn't break lens etc. Got the headlight taped in till the replacement comes in.
Did you already order it? I've got a take off from my V7C that you could have for free if it would fit.

minimike
Old 03-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #34
natez1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Just though I would start a Guzzi thread. and see if anyone checks in

My New guzzi

You can't give us a pic of a pretty bike then not do a mini review of it.How is it to ride? comfy? like the twisties? I've been trying to talk myself out of a Guzzi for my next bike but with all the Guzzi threads it's hard!
natez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #35
Buckaroo Banzai OP
Gnarly Adventurer

CRAP!! Yes, I did order it. Thanks for the offer though. Oh, and I didn't know about the roadside assistance.
When I took off the headlight bucket I saw it was held on by two massive bolts. If it was a jap bike like my previous bike they would be little and prone to break. I hope the reset is the guzzi is built that way.

I don't live close to a dealer so I will probably attempt to do some minor maintenance myself. Is the Guzzi hard to
work on? Looking for an online manual to see what it looks like.

Anyway, all good so far cept for the headlight. And I got a good deal on the guzzi so I can't complain...
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #36
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
I don't live close to a dealer so I will probably attempt to do some minor maintenance myself. Is the Guzzi hard to

Anyway, all good so far cept for the headlight. And I got a good deal on the guzzi so I can't complain...
Have you ever adjusted screw & locknut valves? There's quite a bit of stuff that's easy to do if you can spin a wrench with moderate competency.

The headlight was overtightened by someone, right? That's human error, not a Guzzi flaw....so you're golden so far
Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #37
Buckaroo Banzai OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's a little cramped though and I'm small. It's great for around town. Light and nimble.
The engine is very smooth. It really picks up around redline which is about 7000.
The engine feels like it's laboring to breath on the bottom rpms though. May K&N filters
or another pipe would wake it up more.

I do feel the heat from the cylinders, although it's not that bad it's a little worse than other bikes
I have ridden.

I love the sound of it when you run it near red line. It has a very distinctive sound.

The only disadvantage is that is a little cramped for long rider but makes up for it
around the city. A very fun bike. It's also a very good looking bike IMHO.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #38
Buckaroo Banzai OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I adjusted the valves on my dr650. But you needed a feeler gauge that was angled to do it properly.
I think they said a "tappy valve is a happy valve" , meaning don't close em too much.

I will be needing tires soon and just changing the tires seemed different than the japs i was used too.

I won't even start anything till I have a good manual.

But it looks like for the most part the bike is built pretty solid.No cheap breaking bolts like the jap bike.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #39
Buckaroo Banzai OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My friend who I bought the bike from just gave me a bag with reflectors that he forgot to give me when
I picked up the bike. Problem is I don't know where they go. They have aprilla on the back but I suppose they are still for the moto guzzi.

I'm thinking the yellow ones might be for the front blinkers. The hollow part may be for the wire.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #40
Buckaroo Banzai OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I found a home for the red reflectors. They went on the side of my license plates. Now, to find a home for the others

Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #41
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
They have aprilla on the back but I suppose they are still for the moto guzzi.
Aprilia and Moto Guzzi (and Vespa) are all part of the Piaggio group.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #42
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
The new-engined V7 has started appearing in ads on mobile.de and other online auto/moto sales sites. Several retailers offer 0.0% interest financing for the first 36 months.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #43
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
The glass alone is $200...don't ask me how I know.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #44
Johnnie5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
My friend who I bought the bike from just gave me a bag with reflectors that he forgot to give me when
I picked up the bike. Problem is I don't know where they go. They have aprilla on the back but I suppose they are still for the moto guzzi.

I'm thinking the yellow ones might be for the front blinkers. The hollow part may be for the wire.

Any help would be appreciated

try the rubbish bin

thats where they belong
Johnnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #45
Vibr8r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
CRAP!! Yes, I did order it. Thanks for the offer though. Oh, and I didn't know about the roadside assistance.
When I took off the headlight bucket I saw it was held on by two massive bolts. If it was a jap bike like my previous bike they would be little and prone to break. I hope the reset is the guzzi is built that way.

Here's a link to an online owner's manual, in case you didn't get one. Lots of good info, including changing oil & filter.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/mg_manuals/owners_manual_nevada_750_ie_2004_usa.pdf
Vibr8r is offline   Reply With Quote