Sold it
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #122
Street Hawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Probably posted this pic in a different Guzzi forum before, but here's mine...

By streethawk46 at 2011-08-07
Old 07-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #123
xellic
-----+-----

Oddometer: 2,312
McKenzie pass, yesterday

xellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #124
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
You Guzzi guys are tempting me......
Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #125
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 18,366
OK, I'll jump in. They say that a fairly broad range of individuals own Guzzi’s. People ranging from the eccentric to those who most would deem to be weirdo’s and into a category that can only be classified as the mentally ill. My wife thinks I’m mental. Picked up one of these last week:

We're still getting to know each other. Definitely one of the more funky bikes I've ever owned. When I first got it my impression was that it was sprung so tight that it'd put blood in your urine on a rough road. Tuning the compression dampening after every ride. Still need to set the SAG. I'll start playing with the rebound after I get those settings ferreted out a bit. I'm getting very comfortable with it in the tight stuff. Very confidence inspiring and nimble for a bike of its weight and wheel base. I'm really surprised by how good the transmission is. I was worried about finding a neutral between every gear like the Guzzi's I've ridden in the past. This one is as slick as any bike I've ever ridden. Might need to have the seat sculpted a bit to remove the hump for longer distance rides. Still trying to locate the accessories. They appear to be made of unobtainium at this point. Looking for the fly screen, the semi rigid bags and the tank bag. Mistral carbon cone is on order and should be in by the end of the week. First service scheduled for friday.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 AM   #126
Nudemetalz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
OK, I'll jump in. They say that a fairly broad range of individuals own Guzzi’s. People ranging from the eccentric to those who most would deem to be weirdo’s and into a category that can only be classified as the mentally ill. My wife thinks I’m mental. Picked up one of these last week:

We're still getting to know each other. Definitely one of the more funky bikes I've ever owned. When I first got it my impression was that it was sprung so tight that it'd put blood in your urine on a rough road. Tuning the compression dampening after every ride. Still need to set the SAG. I'll start playing with the rebound after I get those settings ferreted out a bit. I'm getting very comfortable with it in the tight stuff. Very confidence inspiring and nimble for a bike of its weight and wheel base. I'm really surprised by how good the transmission is. I was worried about finding a neutral between every gear like the Guzzi's I've ridden in the past. This one is as slick as any bike I've ever ridden. Might need to have the seat sculpted a bit to remove the hump for longer distance rides. Still trying to locate the accessories. They appear to be made of unobtainium at this point. Looking for the fly screen, the semi rigid bags and the tank bag. Mistral carbon cone is on order and should be in by the end of the week. First service scheduled for friday.

Pure jealousy !!!! Beautiful machine.
I rode one of the first 8V Griso's in the country (here in New Zealand) back in 2010 and loved it. Great power and handling. The only thing I could criticise, well more of a personal preference,..was that at motorway (highway) speeds, the riding position is quite upright compared to my V11 Sport. I guess a flyscreen would probably help that though.
Nudemetalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #127
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,644
I would highly suggest turning out the comp damping A LOT (you figured that out), rebound damp to your liking. The biggest improvement I found beyond the comp damp was lowering the forks in the trees to the last line. This improves the 'wallow' through corners and general behavior overall.

Whoever sets the factory suspension settings at Guzzi has a picture of the boss with a goat because there is no way he should still have a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post

Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #128
wyno
guzzi 750

Oddometer: 98
you lucky, lucky bastard RonS
wyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #129
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudemetalz View Post
Pure jealousy !!!! Beautiful machine.
I rode one of the first 8V Griso's in the country (here in New Zealand) back in 2010 and loved it. Great power and handling. The only thing I could criticise, well more of a personal preference,..was that at motorway (highway) speeds, the riding position is quite upright compared to my V11 Sport. I guess a flyscreen would probably help that though.
Yeah, It's pretty upright with a bit of a reach to the bars for me. I've been getting a nice loft at moderate speeds. Haven't hit the triple digits yet but that may require some tucking in. It's a bit of an odd riding position in general. If the pegs were back a bit I'd say that it would verge on being a sport touring position though not nearly as sport as a Futura or a Ducati ST. With the pegs just a bit forward as they are it's got a bit of a roadster feel but they are high as well so that's not it. Whatever it is, it does not seem to affect handling. It's pretty comfortable when tossing it into the tight stuff. I was touching down my toe sliders on my boots the other day with it and it seemed very natural.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #130
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by xellic View Post
McKenzie pass, yesterday

I.
Am.
Jealous.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #131
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I would highly suggest turning out the comp damping A LOT (you figured that out), rebound damp to your liking. The biggest improvement I found beyond the comp damp was lowering the forks in the trees to the last line. This improves the 'wallow' through corners and general behavior overall.

Whoever sets the factory suspension settings at Guzzi has a picture of the boss with a goat because there is no way he should still have a job.

That's a bit of an understatement. My guess is that they are setting up the suspension on a very smooth race track doing well into triple digit speeds and the guy doing the tuning weighs in at about 300 lbs. Almost snapped my spine a couple of times on some rough road. It was set 1.5 turns out front and rear when I got it. I backed it out to 2 turns and again to 2.5 turns both front and rear. You are right, it needs to be backed off more. I haven't been getting any wallowing though. It seems to hold a line very solidly through the curves so far. My fork tubes are set so that a good 12-14mm are protruding through the top of the triple clamps though. It may be that they changed their setup in that regard.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #132
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyno View Post
you lucky, lucky bastard RonS
Don't tell my wife that. She thinks I'm beating myself to death with all this talk of a bike capable of putting a little blood in the urine and the snapping of spines
Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #133
Moss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g®eg View Post

Just seen the vid. And photos, fantastic looking bike and noise. Good work!
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #134
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,411
Miss mine, typical sexy Italian, temperamental when cold but drop dead gorgeous, too much of a garage queen for me:

Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #135
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Damn you RonS!

I am so jealous, the Griso SE is my dream bike. I am even throwing around selling my new Ninja 1000 for one.

I have a quick question for those with the Griso SE. Every site I look at they,always list the SE as MSRP.
Do the dealers come off much on the them as they do on the Brevas and such? I can imagine that they do not, but surely there must be some room there.

Sharp bikes in this thread guys.