User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Macosie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Bike importation to UAE

I saw one fellow got a teaching job in the UAE and didn't know what to do with his bikes, while he went.
I just accepted a teaching position in the UAE, too. Unfortunately, I'm stuvbborn and attached to my Africa Twin (88 RD03), so I want to bring it with me.
Anyone have any luck with finding importation reguations to the UAE?
I'll love some help. Also, I'll post what I find, too.
Cheers
Macosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,097
Sorry I can't help ya but you might also check out Horizons Unlimited board under the 'middle east' section.
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Try writing to their embasy. By writing you get a writen reply that can be held up under customs nose to prove you did your best. You could also try writing to their customs department in UAE.

Oh - you'll need to consider rego and insurance and licencing too.

Good luck.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,536
Ship your bike to Dubai , when I lived there it was a duty free zone and very easy to ship things in. There are a few motorcycle shops there and the prices on bikes are cheaper than in the states. An r1100 gs was $3500 cheaper in Dubai than in Fl.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
Macosie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

progress.

I've had a responce from the Customs in Dubai. They charge a 5% import tax on the value of the bike (or car) and that's basically it. I still have to see about the cost of shipping though. i've had estimates from $800(boat) to $2500(by plane) but no one will commit to a quote. I have a place near by that does shipping to UAE (Hyundai Merchant Marine) and I'll visit them in a few weeks to see how much they'll charge me to through it on board with some cars.

Here's what they told me...

You can import your used motorcycle on Import basis, by paying a 5% customs - Customs Inspectors will physically assess the value at the time of arrival.

For customs purpose, please bring the Bill of lading 2nd copy, delivery
Order from the shipping agent and if possible the invoice.

For Registration Requirements, Dubai Customs will arrange to provide Vehicle Clearance Certificate (V.C.C.) for each unit upon clearing the
Customs Import Bill of Entry. Therefore, the V.C.C. should be submitted to
Dubai Police - Traffic Department for registration. For further details
regarding the registration, you are kindly requested to contact Dubai
Police - Traffic Department on telephone 04-2692222 for all registration requirements.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
Macosie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

OK... I found my shipper,
This is what the regulations are...
MOTOR VEHICLES
  • Can only be registered with a valid United Arab Emirates Residence Visa
  • Only one car is allowed per adult person. A family importing two cars must have each vehicle registered under a different family member. Customs will not allow two cars in the same container so each car must be shipped in a separate container. Documents need to be consigned in each name, and each must have a valid Residence Visa for the U.A.E Import of vehicles is tracked by customs and one is only allowed to import a car once.
  • Each customer is allowed one car and one motorbike. Same rules apply for motorcycles as for cars and the documentation required is also the same (see below, very important requirements)
  • Cars with tinted glass are not allowed to be imported. The owner will be fined and asked to have all tinted windows replaced.
  • Duty is applicable on all used motor vehicles at 5% of the customs assessed value, even for diplomatic shipments.
  • Documents required:
    • Registration documents from origin / Certificate of Origin (Title or Deed) or Copy of Purchase Invoice or proof of ownership.
    • One of these documents must show: chassis number, engine number, make, model, year and color.
    • Copy of Passport (picture and personal details page(s))
    • UAE Residence Permit/Visa
    • Estimate of depreciated value of the car at the time of import
And here is the cost:

Packing & crating charges: $250

Trucking to the port: $80

Port charges: $80

Customs clearance and handling (at Busan): $75

Ocean freight to Dubai: $300

Total: $785

Supposably ther ewill be another $100 or so charges in Dubai. I suppose I could save myself the packing and crating charge if I did it myself. I'm just hoping to get a decent crate through them.

Hope this helps others who are interested.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
lagodue
Gotham (NYC)

Oddometer: 26
Dubai

Don't forget you will need a UAE driver's license with motorcycle add-on. You must have a resident visa for this and it will cost you AED 160, or about $43 US.
You do all this at the Dubai Motor Vehicle place on Sheikh Zayed Rd. opposite Mall of the Emirates. Go early - 7:30 AM - to avoid the rush.
lagodue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Macosie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagodue
Don't forget you will need a UAE driver's license with motorcycle add-on. You must have a resident visa for this and it will cost you AED 160, or about $43 US.
You do all this at the Dubai Motor Vehicle place on Sheikh Zayed Rd. opposite Mall of the Emirates. Go early - 7:30 AM - to avoid the rush.
Thanks for the advice...
Cheers
Old 05-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #9
Sycamore
d00b

Oddometer: 1,697
Bike insurance is expensive - you'll pay a minimum of $280.
That's what I paid to insure a KTM 640, and it increases for engine capacity. Can only get 3rd party insurance on bikes.
Insurance is neccessary for registration, you can do it all at the same place.
REgistration costs something like $50.

Not sure how bike prices here compare but I think they are cheaper, especuially in summer (non-riding season, harder to sell).

I got a KTM 640 for $4,000 but it is absolutely immaculate, one owner, very low milage. Not a scratch.

Recently saw an XR650R with lots of add-ons for $3,700.
Both these bikes are road legal.
Dirt-only bikes sell for much less.

KTMs are very popular here, there are plenty second-hand including Adventure.

***I'd seriously consider putting your bike into storage and buying a "temporary bike" here (and selling when u leave) to save shipping, paperwork etc.

Saw an Africa Twin for sale here recently, forgot the price.

3 dealers who sell dirt used bikes: (sorry i dont have email)

Sandstorm (all bikes):
+971 4 3395608

Motorcycle City (all bikes):
+971 4 3338336

TriStar (KTM only)
+971 4 3330659

All are closed Friday.
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:20 AM   #10
Macosie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally done

Finally my twin is registered.
Reason for the delay was the fact that I put a new engine into the bike. Basically I missed the riding season, but I'm happy to have it on the road. There were no problems clearing the bike into the country, because I let the shipping company do all that for me (worth the small extra charge.)The only problem I had was while getting the bike registered and insured; it's impossible to do anything in one day in the UAE. I'm a little naive and clueless to bribing guys, so it took me a couple of extra trips to the motorvehicles ministry. The main problem I had was that I didn't have the right documents, although the next day, with a different guy they were fine. Happened twice, and I think in both cases the guy was fishing for a little payoff... thus the I'm clueless comment because that didn't dawn to me much later.
Anyway, though it's damn hot 45 degrees C, I'm still taking it out for the odd short ride.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
Frankko
Midnight Rambler

Oddometer: 657
I am glad you got you ride registered. I go thru Dubai 3 times a year when I go on vacation. I am currently in BAghdad. During my layover I was trying book a desert ride but with motorcycles. No luck..

Anyway enjoy riding your dunes!!
Old 05-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #12
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
From the Horizons Unlimited site, it looks like bike theft is a problem in UAE, particularly dual-sports, so keep your ride somewhere secure!
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Macosie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Theft

Unfortunately theft is becoming a problem here.
I have a good spot for when I'm around and leave it with the mechanic when I'm away. I prsctice ATBondage...I chain her up...
It's actually up for sale now (been a year on the road) as I'm heading out of the UAE. I may export it, but that depends if I get a good offer.
I've been a little worried about who is asking for it. One fellow mentioned his old bike was stolen when it was up for sale... so I'm careful to go meet potential buyers.
It's looking like I'll ship it to Canada... 20 years old, so no worries about importing.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
hirise53
Nicki

Oddometer: 5
new questions re: bike importation

I have a 2004 KTM 640 that I was shipping from UAE, it got hung up in Jordan (long story), is now in a Free Zone waiting for my instructions, now I need to find out where/how to ship it somewhere I can sell it. Options are Jordan, Israel, and UAE, I think. But from what I can determine, not many bikes in Jordan and tough to sell, Israel would be high tax and customs and I would need an Israeli drivers license (I think). Bike is registered and was bought in UAE, and I am tending towards sending it home and trying to sell there. Anyone know of the various options? Is there something I might not be thinking of? I now live in Canada and it is impractical/very expensive to ship to where I am.
hirise53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Macosie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I can tell you that shipping to Canada is a pain, and expensive. My bike it there now.
I was told by one of the owners of Extreme Cycles in Abu Dhabi (a Jordanian) that Jordanians aren't allowed to own big bikes, so it will be a problem to sell in Jordan.
I don't know about re-importing it to the Emirates. You could check about sending it to another emirate than the one you exported from, it may be easier than getting it back into the emirate you left.
How about India or the Stans?
How much are you asking for it?
It would be best to have a buyer first, or a shop you could send it to.
Try advertising the bike here and on Horizons Unlimited. Good luck.