Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #31
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,976
Hey DiscoDino, welcome back. recognised you from Dubai4x4.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #32
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Thank you! Aug 5 is when the bike lands...so will take Aug and Sep to revive the bike and happy to do a ride Oct for a weekend?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #33
kokos79
Nomad

Oddometer: 49
Hello there from DXB!

Got here three months ago , was planning to ship my DL650A here but seems that the cost is a bit high, so looking for a cheap,used,dual sports bike here... There is a dealer in Sharjah with many adds on Dubizzle, and he's got something that caught my eye, but don't know how trustworthy they are...
kokos79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #34
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
Thank you! Aug 5 is when the bike lands...so will take Aug and Sep to revive the bike and happy to do a ride Oct for a weekend?
We are headed to Salalah for the Eid holidays, but in the Xterra and plan to do some desert and wadi exploring. Of course happy to do a ride any time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokos79 View Post
Hello there from DXB!

Got here three months ago , was planning to ship my DL650A here but seems that the cost is a bit high, so looking for a cheap,used,dual sports bike here... There is a dealer in Sharjah with many adds on Dubizzle, and he's got something that caught my eye, but don't know how trustworthy they are...
I guess you can get them to give you the VIN no. and check them with the traffic police. Better check the bikes thoroughly and repeatedly before committing to a sale.
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #35
Desert Hound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Bound for Dubai

Hi Vicks

I will arrive in Dubai in late Ausgust and my KTM 990 Adv R should arrive before the end of September. I lived in the UAE for 4 years and I have only been out the country for a year. I know alot of the routes and some of the Adventure riding community in Dubai. We can cathup in September/Oct when the weather is a little better - i can also introduce to a great guy who often arranges group rides just because he loves to ride with like minded people.

Have a great time and keep safe.

cheers

Desert Hound

Desert Hound screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 09:12 PM Reason: removed a name
Desert Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #36
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hound View Post
Hi Vicks

I will arrive in Dubai in late Ausgust and my KTM 990 Adv R should arrive before the end of September. I lived in the UAE for 4 years and I have only been out the country for a year. I know alot of the routes and some of the Adventure riding community in Dubai. We can cathup in September/Oct when the weather is a little better - i can also introduce to a great guy who often arranges group rides just because he loves to ride with like minded people.

cheers

Desert Hound
Would love to tag along!
Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #37
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Hi Vicks

cheers

Desert Hound
welcome back Hound. Are you talking about the moderator of UAEride forum who also rides an '07 990S ? I think he sold his bike, no ?

Quote:
Would love to tag along!

Ossum !!! I can see a UAE ADVrider club forming slowly ...

look forward to riding with YFFs
Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #38
Desert Hound
Adventurer

UAE Adventure riders

Not sure if he has sold his bike, the guy I am talking about has a White 990 Adventure - he did make a comment about a BMW on facebook which I am really hoping is a joke. By the way loved the pictures of your recent riding - been missing the desert! I really am hoping to get a group together of adventure riders who want to do a bit more offroading and exploring wadi's etc. I found in the past that most Adventure rider groups want to stick to tar and hard packed dirt at worst - I can do that on my Harley.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #39
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not sure if he has sold his bike, the guy I am talking about has a White 990 Adventure - he did make a comment about a BMW on facebook which I am really hoping is a joke. By the way loved the pictures of your recent riding - been missing the desert! I really am hoping to get a group together of adventure riders who want to do a bit more offroading and exploring wadi's etc. I found in the past that most Adventure rider groups want to stick to tar and hard packed dirt at worst - I can do that on my Harley.
Agree on wadis and stuff...bike lands in 5 days!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #40
Desert Hound
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Agree on wadis and stuff...bike lands in 5 days!
I have just had an estimate from the Forwarders so my bikes will only arrive in Mid October - enjoy your riding
Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #41
DesertSweeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I'm in

Am up for the odd wadi bashing if i'm not on the long trail, though have sold my beemers so it would have to be on a 450X if you dont mind a slow-poke tagging along!

Catch the end of the last one at:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780711

and look out for the upcoming Burma ride report!
DesertSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #42
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
I found in the past that most Adventure rider groups want to stick to tar and hard packed dirt at worst - I can do that on my Harley.
You're right. Thats what i've found to be the case with most "Adventure bike" riders here and probably the same all over the world. People buy those bikes to "look" like adventure riders. Some of them even leave the hard luggage mounted on the bikes, including side AND top cases while they do their weekend run to starbucks. Forget that lot. The wadi riding in my last ride report is heaven (in terms of riding as well as cool temperatures in summer) for a big Adv bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSweeper View Post
[COLOR=#cdcdcd][FONT=Verdana]Am up for the odd wadi bashing if i'm not on the long trail, though have sold my beemers so it would have to be on a 450X if you dont mind a slow-poke tagging along!
I've ordered some stuff for my bike and need to do a service + fit the parts while summer burns us down. I guess it will be end Aug when we can do our first ADVrider ride .

great RR btw. Love you writing style.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #43
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

my riding

i mostly do the wadi's and deserts and drop by the starbucks only for coffee. No, i don't keep my hard cases on all the time.....

looking forward to more of the same with you guys....
Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #44
kokos79
Nomad

Oddometer: 49
I am trying to get my hands on a 650GS Dakar. Do you think I could ride with you guys?

No wadis experience though... I've only done some of this:

with this:

Any room for a noob?
kokos79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #45
DesertSweeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Adventure riding in the Arabian Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
great RR btw. Love you writing style.
Thank you for the compliment. I often regret doing an RR once I have started as they are very time consuming, however the enjoyment they bring (and hopefully inspiration) to some does make it worth it. Fantastic pics you have there - inspirational! That's a big girl to push through the powdery sand esp with those tyres. I used to own an HP2 which i took into the desert once but not again...

Here some snaps of trips into the UAE, the Mussandam peninsula and Oman itself to add to the motivation.

Believe it or not - thats a small portable barbecue straped behind the seat. It's called a "Cobb". Us South Africans take our "braaing" very seriously

Mussandam

Mussandam - dolphin watching

Mussandam

UAE

Oman

Oman - this pick copyright Ian Blakeway

Oman

Oman

Mussandam - yes there is a route through there...

I'm a relative n00b myself only having ridden in the sand for the first time in 2005 so they always get my vote!
DesertSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote