Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Question Best Maxi-Scooter for Longer Legs?

I am ~200lb, 6'3" and have a 35" inseam. (14.2 stone, 190.5cm, inseam = 89cm).

Any suggestions on the most comfortable scoot for a tall guy like me? I'm partial to the looks and reviews of the Tmax, but I have read one or two reviews stating the legroom might be a problem for me. My uses will be for an occasional 15 mile highway commute and short trips inside my 5 mile bubble.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Tmax and Xciting (the old modell, not the Evo) and probably the BMW scooters provide the most legroom.
But 15 miles is not enough to worry about paroxysm oder decubitus.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post

Any suggestions on the most comfortable scoot for a tall guy like me? I'm partial to the looks and reviews of the Tmax, but I have read one or two reviews stating the legroom might be a problem for me. My uses will be for an occasional 15 mile highway commute and short trips inside my 5 mile bubble.
I'm 6-2 with 34" inseam. I did a test ride of the T max. Although the bars did hit my knees while doing a tight low speed turn, I did not notice a lack of legroom when riding at speed. I did not find the T max all that comfortable but that is more due to the fact that I prefer a more upright seating position. The feet forward position of the maxi scoots is hard on my back. If you are a cruiser rider then the Maxi scoot riding position probably won't bother you. The only way you will know for sure is to test ride, or at least sit on any scooter you are considering.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
I don't think you will like the ergonomics of the Tmax. I'm 5'9"and I sat on one a few times and found it to be more cramped than I expected. This seems to be a Yamaha thing. My Morphous was a great scooter but too cramped for me.

The Honda Silver Wing I owned had plenty of room for me. The guy that bought it was around your size... He previously owned a Silver-wing and wanted another one.. When he took mine for a ride he said something about his knees. Either his knees were bent a lot or there was a lack of space for his knees. I forget. He still bought it. I would say the big Burgman had the most room of any scoot I've ridden or sat on.

The Tmax is definitely on the cramped side compared to others but it depends on your build, You can be on the tall side but be comfortable.. No substitute for sitting on one.

Now that I think about it, I would say with regards to the tmax, the issue is more high floor boards which put my knees higher and at more of an angle than I expected. I've been used to riding motorcycles where your legs are in a more natural position as opposed to scooters where you have to lift up and off,, on a motorcycle, you just drop your legs which I prefer. That's not to say I don't like my scooters. I like them all and I plan to get a Tmax sooner or later.
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Have you considered a Kymco Grand Vista? Those look pretty long in comparison to my Helix, and most other scooters I've seen.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
Have you considered a Kymco Grand Vista? Those look pretty long in comparison to my Helix, and most other scooters I've seen.
The Grand Vista is one of the most cramped scooters out there. Are you sure you're not thinking about the Xciting?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Downtown300 looks really nice, but I am concerned about the lack of dealer support and the overall quality of the Taiwanese scooters. The closest dealer to me is ~40 miles.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
The Grand Vista is one of the most cramped scooters out there. Are you sure you're not thinking about the Xciting?
I might be... I know I sat on some Kymco and it was too large even for me!
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Downtown300 looks really nice, but I am concerned about the lack of dealer support and the overall quality of the Taiwanese scooters. The closest dealer to me is ~40 miles.
Based on what I have read on the forums and my own experience, Kymco makes excellent scooters and back it with the best warrantee (2 yrs) in the business. Their dealer network is pretty extensive but that doesn't help you if there isn't a dealer near you. 40 miles doesn't sound too bad. I bought an Aprilia from a dealer 80 miles away. What I would do before buying anything, is to check out the dealer in your area. It doesn't help to have a dealer down the street if it's a crappy dealer.

Also consider this; Kymco is the 5th largest scooter manufacturer in the world. They wouldn't have gotten that big if they made crap.

One drawback to the Kymcos is that maintenance intervals are more frequent than many others (oil changes and valve adjustments). On my Super 8 at least, the maintenance has been easy to do.

As for the DT300, at 6-3 you probably won't fit on it. You might want to consider the 300GT.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
I own a Tmax, have ridden both Burgmans (400 and 650) and sat on just about every maxi-scooter sold in the US. The Burgman 650 has the most legroom, by a large margin.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

For what you are using it for, mostly short trips, why are you looking at a Maxi scoot? I would think a midsize scooter would be better for you're intended use. Personally I would probably put the Kymco 300GT at the top of the list but just about any 250 should also work. Actually, for the shorter trips you could probably go even smaller but you'll need 250 or larger for the occasional highway commute.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
For what you are using it for, mostly short trips, why are you looking at a Maxi scoot? I would think a midsize scooter would be better for you're intended use. Personally I would probably put the Kymco 300GT at the top of the list but just about any 250 should also work. Actually, for the shorter trips you could probably go even smaller but you'll need 250 or larger for the occasional highway commute.
Honestly, I would love something this size, but I am concerned that at my size, I would look like a monkey humping a football while riding it. ;)
Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Honestly, I would love something this size, but I am concerned that at my size, I would look like a monkey humping a football while riding it. ;)
I'm only slightly smaller than you and have a Kymco 150 as well as an Aprilia 250. I fit well on both but prefer the riding position of the kymco. The Kymco 300GTS is larger than either of my scooters but still smaller than the maxi scoots. There are also still some leftover Kymco people 250s left out there for great prices. It's also larger than my Aprilia. The local dealer has one for $3999 plus tax.

For short trips, you just can't beat a small to mid sized scooter. Both of mine get 75MPG and are a blast to ride.

If there's a Sym dealer nearby I'd check them out. They have a 250 as well as a 300.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 01:30 PM
Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm only slightly smaller than you and have a Kymco 150 as well as an Aprilia 250. I fit well on both but prefer the riding position of the kymco. The Kymco 300GTS is larger than either of my scooters but still smaller than the maxi scoots. There are also still some leftover Kymco people 250s left out there for great prices. It's also larger than my Aprilia. The local dealer has one for $3999 plus tax.

For short trips, you just can't beat a small to mid sized scooter. Both of mine get 75MPG and are a blast to ride.

If there's a Sym dealer nearby I'd check them out. They have a 250 as well as a 300.
Is there a link to the Kymco 300GTS? I don't see it on their website...
Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

I guess it's really the people GT300I. I can't keep all the letters straight.

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/sco...00i/index.html

Also check out this review Cortez did on it: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718137