Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #61
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
The TMAX fit me really well. Color me surprised...

Anyway...the dealer wants 6K OTD for a new yellow 09.

Opinions on this deal? I haven't ridden it yet (freaking 32 degrees here today...) but I can't imagine that would be a deal breaker .
32 degrees. You better get out and take that thing for a test ride before it gets cold!

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #62
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
32 degrees. You better get out and take that thing for a test ride before it gets cold!

Haha! I wondered how long that would take!

32 is fine, 32 with a 25MPH wind is not. ;)
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #63
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Haha! I wondered how long that would take!

32 is fine, 32 with a 25MPH wind is not. ;)
No problem. That T max will go much faster than 25 MPH.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #64
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm so bummed.

Dealer called today to tell me that the 6K OTD quote was a mistake and the best he could do was 7.2K.

He swears up and down he is breaking even on the deal at that price...
Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #65
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
I'm so bummed.

Dealer called today to tell me that the 6K OTD quote was a mistake and the best he could do was 7.2K.

He swears up and down he is breaking even on the deal at that price...
He's full of shit , with 6% sales tax I bought mine 2 years ago for $6.450 out the door .
There are still plenty of them out there at $6,000 , I know there is a dealer here in Michigan
with 3 of them for like $6,250 ? Cycle Trader still has a shit load for even less .

Also , super star where in Texas are you ?

TheReaper!

TheReaper! screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 07:03 PM
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #66
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
He's full of shit , with 6% sales tax I bought mine 2 years ago for $6.450 out the door .
There are still plenty of them out there at $6,000 , I know there is a dealer here in Michigan
with 3 of them for like $6,250 ? Cycle Trader still has a shit load for even less .

Also , super star where in Texas are you ?

TheReaper!
I figured he was lying...I mean he is a salesman and his lips were moving...

I'm in North Dallas. I've been checking CycleTrader and Craigslist for a while.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #67
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

If you have the cash I would go the the dealer and talk to the manager and offer him the 6K .
Some times that works and some times not ?? I'm in Michigan and there is a bike in Houston
I want to buy , know any one coming this way ? If you find a Tmax out of state maybe we could
both get our bikes delivered a little cheaper ? Just a thought .

TheReaper!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #68
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
If you have the cash I would go the the dealer and talk to the manager and offer him the 6K .
Some times that works and some times not ?? I'm in Michigan and there is a bike in Houston
I want to buy , know any one coming this way ? If you find a Tmax out of state maybe we could
both get our bikes delivered a little cheaper ? Just a thought .

TheReaper!
Thanks for the idea. I have the cash, but $1200 seems a LONG way off. I'd probably go as high as 6200 or 6300 but that would be my limit. Still, it seems like begging to me..."please let me buy your bike!". ;)

As for your Houston bike, tickets on Southwest are $206 one-way from Detroit to Houston. Could you fly-n-ride?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #69
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the idea. I have the cash, but $1200 seems a LONG way off. I'd probably go as high as 6200 or 6300 but that would be my limit. Still, it seems like begging to me..."please let me buy your bike!". ;)

As for your Houston bike, tickets on Southwest are $206 one-way from Detroit to Houston. Could you fly-n-ride?
Not this time of the year LOL BRRR , besides that I don't want to put additional 1400 miles on it . As for begging your dealer , IMO negotiating isn't begging . It's like Donald Trump always says , "it's the art of the deal"

TheReaper!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #70
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

The dealer may actually have to sell it for 7.2K to recover his expenses but typically once a bike has been sitting long enough dealers will sell it below cost just to get rid of it. That dealer is probably paying interest on it every month it sits on his showroom floor. Bottom line, that scooter is now 3 years old and no longer worth what he is asking.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #71
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The dealer may actually have to sell it for 7.2K to recover his expenses but typically once a bike has been sitting long enough dealers will sell it below cost just to get rid of it. That dealer is probably paying interest on it every month it sits on his showroom floor. Bottom line, that scooter is now 3 years old and no longer worth what he is asking.
I get the feeling he is just waiting for a sucker. It's a pretty small dealership and it looks like he embraces the sunk cost fallacy.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #72
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
There was a site (cyclebuy?) where you could get dealer invoice price, which whilst it wasn't an absolute true reflection of the dealer cost as they use more complicated math voodoo and then milk you on prep, freight, finance kickbacks, it did give you a guide. Normally on a bike around 7k, the dealer will be looking at circa 500 profit on the msrp BUT will likely clear another 600 on the finance (depending on how many points they add) and another 5-600 on prep.

I just picked up a 10 plate burgman 400 (non abs) for 6800 OTD. Hawai'i imports direct from Japan for Suzuki and there wasn't an an400 without abs in 2010 in the usa so an exact price is hard to come by but the 2009 was about 6600 msrp, so about 9k OTD here. Now remember everything in Hawai'i costs about a million times more due to 'paradise tax'. A 2012 ninja 250 with a list of 4200 was 6300 OTD and the sales droid swears he was cutting his own throat to give it to me at that price lol.

The msrp on the 09 tmax was about 8k? He should be willing to sell it at 6-6.5 just to get rid of it. They are losing money when it's sat there. Freight, prep etc is just gravy, sure they pay some freight charge but $750 is OTT. The prep has been done a long time ago and frankly if he isn't going to pay the rate others are, just look elsewhere. IIRC their commission revolves around the amount of profit they make on the car or bike rather than just the overall value so his boss probably told him he's getting a pittance on the sale so he tried to bump it up to make some more cash. If he moans, tell him it's been sat there 3 years, it probably needs new tyres and a new battery, they're old and have been sat there degrading. I wouldn't buy new tyres that have been sat around for more than a year.

If you do nothing, odds are he will call back soon anyway with a better offer, or as others have said go speak to the manager, tell him you had a really bad experience with the salesman, you wanted to give the company a 2nd chance etc , you'll consider the bike still but at a sensible price. The retail in excellent condition on KBB for a 2009 is about 5300. There's a world full of scoots :) They want your money, make em beg for it. We got our car from 25000 OTD to 15500 OTD just by torturing them telling them a figure and giving them one chance to match it, they didn't until I walked out (not attempting to boast, just an example of how much can come off a price just by being polite but firm). They probably still made money on it. Good luck!

ABritOnMaui screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 10:07 AM
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #73
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I get the feeling he is just waiting for a sucker. It's a pretty small dealership and it looks like he embraces the sunk cost fallacy.
Is that the only Yamaha dealer nearby? If you do find a T Max cheaper elsewhere is it a dealer you would want to go to for service?

If you don't have your heart set on a T Max you might want to consider The Kymco GT300i. Personally I'd take it over the T max just because of the much better (for me) riding/seating position.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #74
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Is that the only Yamaha dealer nearby? If you do find a T Max cheaper elsewhere is it a dealer you would want to go to for service?

If you don't have your heart set on a T Max you might want to consider The Kymco GT300i. Personally I'd take it over the T max just because of the much better (for me) riding/seating position.

There are only two dealers with TMAX's near me. Both have a 2009 on the floor, and apparently neither is really in a hurry to move them. This one is yellow, and while I have not seen the blue in person, I think I would prefer the yellow. Honestly, I would prefer the '10 silver color, but if they won't deal on a 2009, I am pretty sure they won't deal on a 2010.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #75
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Any burgman 400's near you? I'm 6'2" and find I have plenty of room (esp knee room) on that and it should be cheaper than the yama, esp if you can find a previous years model? It's got plenty of shift up to about 85 then it slows a bit till about 100, then its all out. The key for me was the lights are the best I've found on any scoot or bike. Just needs a new horn.
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote