Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #151
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Question about lugs.

I've got a couple (four) female friends who are above 6' tall. Needless to say, there are no women's geometry bikes that big that I know of. If you know of a company making them that big stock (no custom builders), I'll point them to it & they might send you homebaked cookies. So I'm toying with the idea of dabbling in framebuilding, so that these ladies can have bikes that fit them properly.

Here's my question about lugs. I know that a women's specific geometry is going to change the angle of the tube as it goes into the lugs; does anybody make the lugs with the right angles?

I'm a decent home welder (vocational re-training FTW), and have grasped the theories behind brazing. I can put a bike together, but I've never done frame building.

Thanks.
What specific aspect of a unisex frame are they having trouble with?

I'm thinking you're confusing a compact frame design (shorter seattube vs toptube) with "women-specific geometry", as nearly all the new stuff is compact frame. What "women-specific" mostly refers to is the use of lighter tubesets (in some cases), narrower bars, specific saddle, smaller/closer positioned/shorter travel levers, and smaller frame sizes. At over 6' tall, the proportions of their body parts shouldn't have issues with what petite women have issues with. If you must go to custom options, it's hard to beat the affordability of Gunnar.

ducnut screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 11:35 AM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #152
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,328
Quote:
Question about lugs.

I've got a couple (four) female friends who are above 6' tall. Needless to say, there are no women's geometry bikes that big that I know of. If you know of a company making them that big stock (no custom builders), I'll point them to it & they might send you homebaked cookies. So I'm toying with the idea of dabbling in framebuilding, so that these ladies can have bikes that fit them properly.

Here's my question about lugs. I know that a women's specific geometry is going to change the angle of the tube as it goes into the lugs; does anybody make the lugs with the right angles?

I'm a decent home welder (vocational re-training FTW), and have grasped the theories behind brazing. I can put a bike together, but I've never done frame building.

Thanks.
See if Rivendell has some 62 cm Betty Foys still on hand, which might be big enough. http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/f-foy.htm

But if they don't mind a normal top tube, have them talk to the shop about their specific sizing requirements, and it's possible one of the other stock frames will work. Otherwise they're looking a customs... and Riv customs are pricey, but very very nice.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #153
gearguywb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
If you are talking about a complete design and build (full custom) then there is no such thing as women's specific. The build would be to exactly what the rider needs.

Most WSG type of bikes are simply a marketing ploy with shorter top tube/stem in relation to the rest of the bike (along with some graphics). It's the great thing about custom...build it for the specific rider with all of the other options (chain hangar, pump peg, tube selection, chain stay length, trail, etc.)
gearguywb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #154
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,106
Quote:
Question about lugs.

Thanks.
FWI've seen just building a bike isn't rocket science. Just make sure everything's straight and you're good to go.

FITTING someone on said bike is where the alchemy comes in.

Most women's specific designs are simply shorter front to back with maybe an angle change at the seat tube. Maybe lighter gauge tubes get tossed in the mix too.

My ex- was 6' even. LONG legs. Short torso. Sitting down, we were the same height. She just had 6" longer legs than I did. Her 'optimal' frame was 58ST x 55-56TT with somewhat slack angles on the ST. A similar height guy would be on a 58cm square bike.

Hop on over to Velocipede Salon and you can ask all the questions you want to the framebuilders there. There's guys from Richard Sachs to guys you've never heard of over there.

Oh, and Italian frames tend to be slightly shorter front to back than some of the others. Colnago stands out. Cinelli too IIRC.

Good luck!

M
Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #155
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
This should help you. This too. The bicycles intended purpose determines geometry not who's sitting on it. Sizing is different but that's where a custom build comes into play.

Are you locked into brazed lug construction? Personal preference or customer choice? Tig welded frames are every bit as good as lugged. If it's preference I understand. It's mine as well.
The second link is a book from 1979 that I owned at that time. I had one of the firms mentioned, Condor Cycles in London, build me a frame. Back then, it was almost $1000. It was a lugged frame, and the hand work on the lugs was beautiful, almost like lace. Looks like they're still in business. http://www.condorcycles.com/our-bikes
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #156
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,590
Quote:

Are you locked into brazed lug construction? Personal preference or customer choice? Tig welded frames are every bit as good as lugged. If it's preference I understand. It's mine as well.
Thanks for the links.

I'm not locked into brazed lug, but unless you're willing to buy me a TIG welder..... If I was going to put together a frame, I'd *rather* TIG it; I feel much more comfortable doing that than brazing. But brazing you can do with a torch and some filler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
. At over 6' tall, the proportions of their body parts shouldn't have issues with what petite women have issues with. If you must go to custom options, it's hard to beat the affordability of Gunnar.
My experience has been that you are incorrect. Tall women are still proportioned like women, just taller. They still have shorter waists & torsos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
See if Rivendell has some 62 cm Betty Foys still on hand, which might be big enough. http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/f-foy.htm
Oo, hey, thanks for the tip.

Thanks everybody else for the responses; keep 'em coming.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #157
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
You're welcome. By all means keep us updated. Where do you live? I have access to a Miller Syncrowave.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #158
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
You're welcome. By all means keep us updated. Where do you live? I have access to a Miller Syncrowave.
He's up near Bawlmore.

IME you can make a stock size bike fit most people with the addition or subtraction of a few piecesparts. You need help with that Chisenhallw, just lemme know.

M
Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #159
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
He's up near Bawlmore.

IME you can make a stock size bike fit most people with the addition or subtraction of a few piecesparts. You need help with that Chisenhallw, just lemme know.

M
I haven't had good experience with that. Shopping for my girlfriend's bike, she settled between a Raleigh Grand Sport & a Specialized Dolce, each sold by a different shop. The shop that had the raleigh claimed they could mimic women's geometry by swapping some parts around. We gave them a day and stopped by for a test ride. She climbed out of the saddle; "Nope." We bought the Dolce.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #160
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:

I've got a couple (four) female friends who are above 6' tall. Needless to say, there are no women's geometry bikes that big that I know of...

I've always thought mixte frames were very elegant. Is that what you mean by women's geometry frames?

Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #161
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneSlim View Post
I've always thought mixte frames were very elegant. Is that what you mean by women's geometry frames?
No. More like this;

But in like, 59/60 cm.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #162
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Easy peasy: build it 60cm tall and 57cm long.

/discussion

M
Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #163
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Easy peasy: build it 60cm tall and 57cm long.

/discussion

M
\discussion. Hence my original question; that's going to change the angle that the lug receives the tube, right? Do they make lugs with those angles?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #164
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
No. More like this;

But that's not beautiful.

Women shouldn't have to ride bikes that aren't beautiful.
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #165
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:

oh, my
Quote:
But that's not beautiful.

Women shouldn't have to ride bikes that aren't beautiful.
Is it wrong that I like that bike? Where can I get a set of racks like that?
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: