Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #91
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneSlim View Post
That's a beauty.

So what's the gearing? Old people want to know.
39/53, 11-25.

20 lbs.

It is a beauty, but with that gearing for me it would be a torture rack. 41.7 - 128.9 gear inches. No third ring. I'm a sissy.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #92
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
Yeah, I just looked it up.

That's a 4.8:1 gear ratio in high gear - great for going fast. A 1.56:1 ratio in low gear, not good for middle-aged hill-climbers. I wouldn't be able to climb the hills around here with that gearing.
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #93
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer View Post

Let us know how that saddle works out for you. I'm liking it and thinking of getting one, damn the weight, it just looks cool.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #94
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
39/53, 11-25.

It is a beauty, but with that gearing for me it would be a torture rack. 41.7 - 128.9 gear inches. No third ring. I'm a sissy.
Compact cranksets (50/34) are relatively inexpensive (FSA @ ~$50 on eBay). And, that rear derailluer will accept up to a 28T low gear. That'd get you ~32" low gear.

It is a beautiful bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Let us know how that saddle works out for you. I'm liking it and thinking of getting one
Do your research on Brooks saddles. They have a ton of different models. The two important things are width and shape. Some are quite narrow and have crown to them, others are wider and flatter.

Wallingford has an exchange program that is risk-free. If you're not sure about which one to get, call them. Bill is a super-nice guy and has a great reputation with the tourist community.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #95
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
@Mutt: humph

He can probably push that derailleur to a 30t cassette if he can find one. 'Course, if he's not riding it loaded down, he probably won't need it.

M
Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #96
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
He can probably push that derailleur to a 30t cassette if he can find one. 'Course, if he's not riding it loaded down, he probably won't need it.
The old Suntour freewheels, you could take them apart and swap out individual sprockets. I don't know if you can do that with the modern units.
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #97
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Let us know how that saddle works out for you. I'm liking it and thinking of getting one, damn the weight, it just looks cool.
I have done the Brooks saddles for many years, and they are using skinny, cheap cows these days. My last titanium .swift lasted less than 5 thousand miles before the right rear of the saddle sagged beyond belief. The leather was thinner on that side. Brooks at first offered assistance, but then did not follow through.

I hooe yours is better.

Beautiful bike, btw. Love it.

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #98
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneSlim View Post
The old Suntour freewheels, you could take them apart and swap out individual sprockets. I don't know if you can do that with the modern units.
Yes, you can, with non riveted cassettes. I would just buy a whole new cassette with the range i wanted, then sell the original or keep as a spare. Shoot, the shop might do that for almost nothing.

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #99
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer View Post
Dude

It ain't about you

Plus it's a fucking cool bike.
That is a very cool bike, congratulations. Tell us how you like the saddle after youve ridden it...I have heard great things at brooks.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #100
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I like that it has a curved, steel fork. That'll ride much better than a straight-leg fork. Also, disc brake provisions are already on it. The specs don't show if the hubs are disc-ready, but, they appear to be MTB hubs. So, I'll assume they are disc-ready, then. Three bottle mounts and 35mm tires add to the deal. That should be a really nice bike, for you.
Yes, i thnk so too and i am quite happy. I sat on it and peddaled a bit, and while the floor model was a bit small, the whole setup just worked. The bar end shifting was the only thing i felt was a compromise (would have preferred shifting in the levers for example), but it wasnt a deal breaker. The model I am going with has discs installed, but yes, they told me that the bike is configured to go disc or cantilever with only a swap of brake hardware. The stock hubs can run disc or not as you wish. I also really liked that flexibility even if I won't exploit it. The Shimano deore xt hardware is also decent.

I also liked the Marin Toscana, with aluminum frame and carbon fork. The Shimano 105 package was tempting, and it was an attractive bike. But I don't really need the weight savings, and I wanted a bike with solid road and cargo capacity and a nice supple ride. The steel frame simply gives all that, and it's a beautiful package. If the deal goes through next week I will post up a few pics.

When I as there i was temporarily distracted by the absolutely beautiful Colnago World Cup. Too expensive though, and it looked like a magnet for theft. But something about cyclocross bikes...

Basically the Marin four corners will start me out very nicely. My commute will be 11 miles each way and I will do it every other work day, with balance of commuting on my Dakar in summer. I have figured out that with the money I will save from quitting my gym membership and reduced motorcycling costs, it basically pays for a new bike every season or so if I wanted ... so if that Toscana still calls in a couple years, I might pick it up and make a "racer" out of it. A decent bicycle costs less than a cheap suspension upgrade for a motorcycle. I mean, even if you spend two thousand or more on a bike, it's still peanuts compared to motorcycling as far as costs go.

As a bonus, the total time of my commute is longer but with time saved not going to the gym anymore I will break even in that end.

FinlandThumper screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 12:46 AM
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #101
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Commuting by bike is an amazing thing. You get to work refreshed, ready to work, and you don't have to take 'family time' to train.

I found I got lots more done when I rode to work.

If you can't get there AND back, drive a car in one AM and ride home. Then ride back in in the AM and drive back that PM. Repeat till you can ride there and back.

M
Old 02-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #102
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Do your research on Brooks saddles. They have a ton of different models. The two important things are width and shape. Some are quite narrow and have crown to them, others are wider and flatter.

[URL="http://www.wallbike.com/index.php"
Wallingford[/URL] has an exchange program that is risk-free. If you're not sure about which one to get, call them. Bill is a super-nice guy and has a great reputation with the tourist community.

Thanks, will do.

unknown
Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #103
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Ok, got off my fat lazy ass to at least get some near new tires and tubes off CL. Time to get the old Contis replaced, don't trust the old rubber and went from 23s to 28s.

unknown
Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #104
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Ok, got off my fat lazy ass to at least get some near new tires and tubes off CL. Time to get the old Contis replaced, don't trust the old rubber and went from 23s to 28s.

Have ya tried em on the bike yet?

Do they fit?

M
Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #105
mutineer OP
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,921
Took it for the first ride today

Mother of Christ riding a fucking bicycle sucks

I remembered why I quit doing it.

I went out to dinner with some friends Friday night and had gin and tonic, whiskey, a dry aged filet, baked potato and some creme brle. That was way more fun than riding a fucking bicycle.

Just a quick little 24:39 minute ride and my lungs nearly burst out of my fucking chest. Sucking 36 degree air fucking hurts.

Five little goddamn miles.

Shit.

Still a pretty nice bike.
Except that the seat everyone says is great when it breaks in feels like prison rape until it does.

All of you guys that can crank out mile after mile

Fuck you.

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: