Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Hey rnrdozer glad to see that the trip was good and that some of the tracks kept you on your toes, especially the sand road just before the Bay of LA road. Keep it coming....Also you were lucky with very little water in Calamjue Wash.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #17
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Enjoying the pics....that double track just north of the paved road into BoLA is sweet...

"We stayed at the Costa Del Sol. the rooms were not cheap so we haggled and beat her down to an acceptable price"

But I have to say....Victoria gives very good service to riders . When a guy rides up on a $20,000 bike with $2000 worth of gear, saving $5 off the room does her a disservice...she needs the money more than we do, guys....

Just sayin...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,342
Motoged, you guys should be rolling in there any day, eh.
Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Hey rnrdozer glad to see that the trip was good and that some of the tracks kept you on your toes, especially the sand road just before the Bay of LA road. Keep it coming....Also you were lucky with very little water in Calamjue Wash.
Rich, thanks for the tracks! we had a great time down there. The 990 is alot of work in the sand for sure. I'm thinking of building up a 690 adventure. I feel it would be a great bike for my type of riding, being more off road than on.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #20
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Motoged, It looks like you were riding the right bike for the two track road leading to Bay of La. It was fun until the last few miles of sand wash!! As far as the Hotel Costa Del Sol go's it was all in good fun! we were haggling with her niece from the US, we were all laughing. I think we paid 700 peso's for the 3 bedroom and 500 peso's for the 2 bedroom. Her original price was $75 US and $55 US. Many of the guys in the group were on a pretty tight budget!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #21
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

January 13th

playa Santispac to Loreto via San Jose Comondu

We woke up early and headed out to hit the dirt tracks to San Jose Comondu from Rosarito then head over to San Javier then back over to Loreto. About 11 miles in the road starts to get really rocky . We ended up hitting a steep section of solid rock which convinced Dave and Desmond to turn around and head back. Quin and I kept going. The trail is really rocky for quit a few miles be the scenery is absolutely stunning. We make it to El comondu and found nothing as far as gas or food for sale, we rode on over to San Miguel Comondu and found some gas from a family selling it from a 5 gallon jug. We ask if there is any La comida and they say yes come with us. They cooked us lunch in their humble little home on a hill side. We headed out towards Loreto and had just enough time to ride over to san Javier to check out the mission. We rolled into Loreto at dark and found Dave and Des at the Hotel Plaza Loreto. We also ran into Eric from Moab, he had hooked up with Ron and Steve but had an electrical problem at a stop and never saw them again!!!Eric would end up riding with us for the next few day’s.

This is the road right off of hwy 1

Farther in it gets better!

We took a wrong turn and found this lagoon

The road started to get worse the farther we went

Dont get us mixed up with the village people! its just us this was right before Des and Dave turned around

This is not the road! but I like to show this picture to people and tell them it is!

Looking down at San Jose Comondu

San Miguel Comondu

We were able to buy some gas in San Miguel Comondu

I brought about 20 small LED flashlights to hand out to kids and policia. I ended up giving them all out here as the whole town came out to get one. Stickers were a hit too. We had lunch with this family.

This is the road back out of the canyon to Loreto

San Javier

This was easly one of the best days of riding we had. If you have the chance its a must do!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 303
Nice job on the RR, the baja is a special place. Looks like you guys are getting great riding weather.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

January 14th

Loreto

We decided to hangout in Loreto for another night and rest up for a big day tomorrow taking the dirt route from Ciudad constitucion over to the sea of Cortez then down to la paz.

This is where we stayed in Loreto

Parking in the lobby area for the bike's was nice. Also the price is only 350 peso's for a room with two beds

Rooms were pretty nice

Me and Dave, I look like a giant!

This is where Quin would consume enough beer and tequila to make the next day very challenging for himself!

This was a little breakfast joint we ate at each morning. really good food!!

Loreto is a neat little town, I would love to spend more time there someday.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
Nice job on the RR, the baja is a special place. Looks like you guys are getting great riding weather.
Thanks BC, yes the weather was perfect the whole trip. It was a little cold up north at night but not bad at all. the cloud cover made for perfect days.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Great to see the orange steeds really being used down there...last time I was at Mike's Sky Ranch, mine looked a little out of place:

hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
I'm liking the road less-traveled approach! I need to get a map out and put it all together, but would be a nice run on my 640! Great RR!!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #27
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great to see the orange steeds really being used down there...last time I was at Mike's Sky Ranch, mine looked a little out of place:

Hilslamer, it looks like you were the big man campus for sure in that group! looks like you guys had a big group.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #28
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Great report, so far! Keep it coming...
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Puke

January 15th

Loreto to San Evaristo

Headed out of town around 9am and planned to gas up at Ciudad then make our way over to the coast. The first road sections are fast and smooth and you can cover some ground quickly. As we got into the mountains the scenery was incredible! I find myself stopping to take pictures around every corner. We were following a track that I got from Gravlee on his fist full of baja tracks and it turns out he bushwhacked a portion of it which didn’t workout too well for loaded down big adventure bikes so we had to back track to the main road. We got to the coast line just before dark and set up camp on a secluded beach (San Evaristo). The coyotes were singing to us as we set up camp. We were 65 miles north of La Paz, it felt like we had the sea of Cortez to ourselves. We built a campfire on the beach, told stories and listened to music until it was bed time.

Its funny because its not me! Quin's condition the next morning!!!

Eric checks his map to see if were headed the right way. Eric doesn't use a GPS at all but he gets around just fine. I was impressed with his mapping skills, he was usually right when we had to make a turn at an intersection.

I guess this is a going to church road sign?

San Luis Gonzaga

Shade seekers! notice Quins condition

Desmond was a hit with most of the Dogs we met on the trip

Quin was still suffering!

Eric recovering from the deep sand detour thanks to Gravlee's adventure route

This was the detour

We found a ranch in the middle of nowhere so it was the perfect opportunity to hand out some stickers to some kids.

I think this is Santa Maria?

I was surprised to see water out here.

Some road shots

Just when you didn't think you would ever see the ocean, there it was!

Quins looking a little better!

Everyone was ready for a break!

This road will take you out to San Evaristo

Great picture of Dave

This would make a great KTM adventure poster

This is my camping setup, I got good at it by the end of the trip

This ride was another great day! If you plan to ride down through Baja I think this is a must do. Knobbies are a must but other than that I think most any bike that is of a dual sport nature could take this route.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #30
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,010
Wow, you guys did the rock garden to Comondu on big bikes?

That area kicked our asses in '09 on an overpacked XR650R & TE610. Spent hours there pushing and lifting--while the rockstar Canadian kids on their lightly-packed 450s sailed through with minimal difficulty. Well done!

EDIT: video

SFKLR screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 02:15 PM
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote