Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #76
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosgsr View Post
Ill post one soon as I can. Im still waiting for the Rekluse and Hyde pipe/skid guard before i really take it out. Ive been working on getting the jetting figured. Although I can tell you, I came of a Kawi 450 and this thing RIPS. It does not have the top-end of the 450 but will out pull the 450 at the low and mid range. Super light and I love the way this thing turns!
Im 6'3" and have never met a KTM i was comfortable on and the GG feels even smaller. I do ride with several GG 300 riders so I will soon find out what is what.
Also I picked this up brand new for 2000 bucks less than the GG or KTM.
I wish BMW would step it up,and get more dealers behind Husky!

I had a 435 Husky 2 stroke when i was a young man.I'll tell you what,,,it was a tuff old bike.Maybe alittle faster then my KTM440 i had at the time.

I have to say,i wasnt comfy on to many other dirt bikes,till i went orange.But understand what its like try'n to find the bike that your comfy on.
I'm the other page of the book,5'8" 170lbs.I can't ever touch the ground but once moving im good togo.

I ride the NorthEast,so its the three R's for me,Rocks,Ruts,and Roots.So theres nothing better then a 2 stroke with a 6 speed and a plate.But ride'n alot of other places in this great country i know what works on the East coast wont be top notch elsewhere.
I've owned or rode pretty much every make and model 2 stroke trail bike out there.But i'm still blown away by the modern smokes on the market today.
The KTM300 has it all hands down,for me anyway.But i dont need more then my XC200W,and perfer the 125 chassi over the SX style 250+ frames.
GasGas made a dealer only edition 300,with an Ohlin option suspention package,and a good friend had one.That bike was the closest i found to perfect for what i ride.Chassi was smaller then the KTM's,and Huskys,the motor was just as good[although i dig the button]but the chassi was bout the perfect size.

Blah,blah,blah,,,,,,looking forward to the RR.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #77
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosgsr View Post
Ill post one soon as I can. Im still waiting for the Rekluse and Hyde pipe/skid guard before i really take it out. Ive been working on getting the jetting figured. Although I can tell you, I came of a Kawi 450 and this thing RIPS. It does not have the top-end of the 450 but will out pull the 450 at the low and mid range. Super light and I love the way this thing turns!
Im 6'3" and have never met a KTM i was comfortable on and the GG feels even smaller. I do ride with several GG 300 riders so I will soon find out what is what.
Also I picked this up brand new for 2000 bucks less than the GG or KTM.
Do they offer them with E-start? While not as much of a pain as 4T, i like the button!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #78
taosgsr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Bobfab

To answer you question the Husky is kick only and I gotta say it is a bitch when brand new. Now that i have got the motor broken in and got used to its kick starter, its an easy kick. I bought the Rekluse for that reason I do not want it to stall in a bad situation. My KLX had an E-start and I carried a ton of weight around for nothing. That starter sucked the bike would start on the first kick but the starter was not reliable at all, dead batteries not spinning the motor fast enough, too much trouble. This time I wanted a simple bike with no frills but with plenty of power. There is talk that Husky has a new 300 in the works with e start and a 6 speed tranny that will put it right in line with KTM and GG. I would imagine that the price will be right in line with KTM and GG too.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #79
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,722
here's my 02 250 EXC - sans the headlight/taillight for harescramble purpose. Bike is right at home on the MX track with the new Slavens suspenders I sprung for last year - even loves creepin thru the woods and rocks in tractor mode. Puts a smile on this 41yr olds ugly mug every time

wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #80
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,550
Ok, here's mine. 1986 Husky 400 XCE

Bought it for a mear $500. It was running but rear shock was out of N2. Did a complete rebuild and up grade of the frame, forks, suspension. After a 18 mounth restrotation it started on the first kick. What a great bike. At around 240 pounds dripping wet and all the power needed, waht else do you want? The power is very good down in the low RPM's. Except for it's long wheel base, single track capability is very good. The deep plush suspension makes wide open cross country riding outstanding, even measured against todays bikes.

Highlites:

Swing arm repiars. I ended up with three swing arms. One I modified to the 86 configuration by adding the brake backing plate reaction lugs ( 6061T6 ). Every one got Hiel Coil inserts at the chain adjuster. All had at least one crack.

After gouging out the cracks and welding all were Shot Peened:

I used Epoxy paint from Brownells, the gun smith folk, and it stuck like gang busters to the ultra clean shot peened surface. Silver grey first, then the enduro sticker from EBay, then clear coat. I made my own chain slider from hard palstic.

The linkage was a conbination of parts from several EBay purchases. All measured and the good ones used and a back up set in stores. All bolts, bushings, and shafts were PTFE coated to prevent corrosion and make a sliky smooth action. New bearings and a newer seal set was installed.

Factory rebuilt shock and new spring:

All the rear wheel and brake hardwear is PTFE coated to eliminate corrosion and work smoothly:

The forks got the same paint and I did the rebuild with the latest greatest seals from Hall's. I added an Endurance speedo and it works well with a long battery life. I used a KTM pick up and made an aluminum mount for it. And a set of plastic mouints for the new, modern, Acerbus Head Light.

Found a new front wheel on EBay and remounted the twenty year old tire! LOL!!!! Hey, BOTH, tires were new and not cracked, so I am still riding on them. Metzlers are pretty good!

The engine got a new modern in-take carb mount. The carb got the PTFE coatings as an experment. The water pump seal was in backwards. Pump was like new. I found the water pump guard on EBay.Other than that it was good to go!

The piston has very little wear. Just walk in the intake ports and take a look.

Screen saver motor shots:

Truck LED for tail light. Note condition of twenty something year old Metzler tire!!

Start up photo. ONE KICK!!!!

In action vidieo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVj21aQQC3A&feature=g-upl

Link to all photos of resto:
http://fritzcoinc.smugmug.com/Other/Husky-1986-400-XCE/11197626_3q4WB5#!i=785071163&k=BJwJnh8
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 04:42 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #81
Reino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
This is my do it all 2006 250sx now with a full pro circuit system and a large and very heavy tank that i want to replace. A 2006 525 ktm feels lighter when i handle it (not riding), but i enjoy my bike tremendously. Next year i enter my first enduro race and in december i enter my first motocross race.

Photobucket

A few locations my bike has seen.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A few things planed for the coming years (in order):
1-Get my suspension sorted with a fork service and new springs for my weight.
2-APTpower carb (google it)
3-vforce 4 reeds
4-New transparent tank (hopefully a lighter tank)

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #82
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Reino - Your tank appears to be a stock KTM tank from a XC or XCW. I dont know for sure, but maybe the stock SX tank is smaller? (I think they are or at least used to be). The actual weight of the empty tank really is not that much at all. It seems the aftermarket tanks are usually larger tanks - and chances are you wont find them to be any lighter. If your enduros are similar to here in the US, I doubt you will want a smaller tank as you would want the fuel range offered by what you already have. For motocross - smaller would be fine though. Maybe just dont fill it up all the way when you dont need the extra fuel range. You have it prioritized correctly - getting the suspension really set up properly is going to mean a lot more for you in a race than the few ounce you might save with a different tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reino View Post
This is my do it all 2006 250sx now with a full pro circuit system and a large and very heavy tank that i want to replace. A 2006 525 ktm feels lighter when i handle it (not riding), but i enjoy my bike tremendously. Next year i enter my first enduro race and in december i enter my first motocross race.

A few things planed for the coming years (in order):
1-Get my suspension sorted with a fork service and new springs for my weight.
2-APTpower carb (google it)
3-vforce 4 reeds
4-New transparent tank (hopefully a lighter tank)

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #83
Reino
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Mike View Post
Reino - Your tank appears to be a stock KTM tank from a XC or XCW. I dont know for sure, but maybe the stock SX tank is smaller? (I think they are or at least used to be). The actual weight of the empty tank really is not that much at all. It seems the aftermarket tanks are usually larger tanks - and chances are you wont find them to be any lighter. If your enduros are similar to here in the US, I doubt you will want a smaller tank as you would want the fuel range offered by what you already have. For motocross - smaller would be fine though. Maybe just dont fill it up all the way when you dont need the extra fuel range. You have it prioritized correctly - getting the suspension really set up properly is going to mean a lot more for you in a race than the few ounce you might save with a different tank.
Suspension especially on a ktm is very important. I don't fill up completely on a short ride.

I have handled the exc and xc-w and they are not as heavy. If a 525 exc feels lighter than than my 250sx, than there is a problem. I just find it weird that my bike is so heavy.

Our enduros are usually 10 loops of 10km, with a chance to go to the pit every 1 loop. so i can manage with a standard tank, but i am going to change my tank anyway one day to an transparent tank. I still wonder if it is not my tank, what makes my bike so heavy? Does anyone have any suggestion on why my bike feels so heavy?

I must admit i have not weighed my bike, but that will come later.

sorry for my grammar and spelling, i have had a lot of beer's just before i wrote this response.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #84
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

2006 KTM 250 SX dry weight: 215.4 lbs http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ktm_250_sx_2006.php

2006 KTM 525 EXC dry weight: 250.9 lbs http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ktm...acing_2006.php

HUGE difference in weight there! I simply can not imagine a 525 actually feeling lighter?

I have ridden and owned a number of KTM 2 strokes, and have ridden a number of 450, 525 and other KTM 4 strokes (though none of the most recent model years). In all cases, the 2 strokes feel dramatically lighter to ride to me. And the scales seems to agree.

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #85
Reino
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
2006 KTM 250 SX dry weight: 215.4 lbs http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ktm_250_sx_2006.php

2006 KTM 525 EXC dry weight: 250.9 lbs http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ktm...acing_2006.php

HUGE difference in weight there! I simply can not imagine a 525 actually feeling lighter?

I have ridden and owned a number of KTM 2 strokes, and have ridden a number of 450, 525 and other KTM 4 strokes (though none of the most recent model years). In all cases, the 2 strokes feel dramatically lighter to ride to me. And the scales seems to agree.

I am mildly worried about the bikes weight, those 2009 250-300xc-w's feel extremely light compared to my bike. I will weigh my bike the and tank when i am back home during my vacation.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #86
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reino View Post
I am mildly worried about the bikes weight, those 2009 250-300xc-w's feel extremely light compared to my bike. I will weigh my bike the and tank when i am back home during my vacation.
Previously you were comparing the SX's weight vs a 525 4 stroke.

The 2009 300 XCW's weigh 221.3 according to this web site: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/24235/...-300-XC-W.aspx (I could not find it on the web site I referenced before).

A good friend of mine has a 2009 300 XC-W that I have put around 75 mile of riding on. Weight wise, it "felt" to me very similar to my 2005 EXC, if not a tad heavier. I suspect that much that is likely due to it having the electric start however. The 2009 does seem to carry it's weight differently to (better).

I highly doubt there is anything "wrong" with your bike's actual weight unless some one bolted on some lumps of lead to it! . In your pictures, your bike looks essentially stock - nothing there that would make it feel noticeably heavier. Sounds like you are simply looking for an good reason to buy a lot of expensive "lighter" parts for it. If I were seriously racing again the first thing I would lighten would be me.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #87
Reino
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Previously you were comparing the SX's weight vs a 525 4 stroke.

The 2009's weigh 221.3 according to this web site: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/24235/...-300-XC-W.aspx (I could not find it on the web site I referenced before).

A good friend of mine has a 2009 300 XC-W that I have put around 75 mile of riding on. Weight wise, it "felt" to me very similar to my 2005 EXC, if not a tad heavier. I suspect that much that is likely due to it having the electric start however. The 2009 does seem to carry it's weight differently to (better).

I highly doubt there is anything "wrong" with your bike's actual weight unless some one bolted on some lumps of lead to it! . In your pictures, your bike looks essentially stock - nothing there that would make it feel noticeably heavier. Sounds like you are simply looking for an good reason to buy a lot of expensive "lighter" parts for it. If I were seriously racing again the first thing I would lighten would be me.
That is why i have to weigh my bike to determine if the bike is heavy or i have a mental problem , i will also look for the lead lumps . I am going to buy a transparent tank at one point (together with a lot of other useless, but nice stuff), but that will be in something like 2 years from now.

My priority at the moment is maintenance and setup (engineering students have a lot of money).

My local ktm shop has 2 2009 250xc-w and a 2006 525exc as well as various adventure bike's and husabergs etc. and that is what i used as a comparison.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #88
81cr450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Wow some really nice machines. Neat to see what 2 strokes others are trail riding

Here's couple of my bike's, one is an KX550AF , its a 2001 Honda CR250r chassis with a big bore kx500 motor. The xr650l with my friend on it is another one of my steed's, but its need of some help at the moment. The 86 cr500 aint really special but I do love that bike. Having owned 3 kx500's, 6 cr500's all I can say is if your a 500 fan you really owe it to yourself to ride a short rod cr500 84-86. My 500 is all original, fork seals included wink, .020 overbore, caught the magnesium cover before it was leaking into the trans. I really do LOVE this bike, I'd like to throw some newer forks on it & some lighting as well as a 6th gear, but thats all I'd change

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

81cr450 screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 10:26 PM
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #89
trophymoto
MACDADDY!

Oddometer: 443

My new toy, still have to sort out the light?!? Only 3k on the odo.
Spiegler
Upstste SC
trophymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #90
motomandan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
1991 Husqvarna WXE260

motomandan is offline   Reply With Quote