User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
cheap 2 stroke premix ideas?

I run a ktm 250xc. I haven't had to buy premix for a couple years now, I had some vouchers in the past and picked up a few cases of yamalube which I've been using thus far at 50:1 with good results.

But now it's all gone and I'm getting sticker shock at the dealership, this stuff ain't cheap. So any harm or foul in running cheap premix? The cheapest stuff the dealership had was $10 a quart semi synthetic "scooter" premix. What about the cheap stuff at walmart? Can a guy save a few bucks? I know rebuilds cost more than oil...or do they? Top end is only $150 last time I checked or 7 bottles of the good premix...
Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,418
whut????? buy some 2x oil & mix it with pump gas. 40:1 is prolly good with any modern 2 stroke oil
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:03 AM   #3
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
People do it all the time, they run the outboard motor oil from Walmart. If you want to stretch your pennies a little further, run 60:1 like KTM recommends. You are putting 20% more oil in per gallon than KTM recommends.

Of me, I'll continue to run Motorex oil and paying too much.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
rustycager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
I know a bunch of people who have used the tech 2cyl oil walmart sells and before that or maybe they still sell it the penzoil and quicksilver oil.

Myself I ran mostly this that smells really nice and some of this. I always ran and jetted for 32:1 doing a lot of extended WOT. It smoked a little and crowns had some carbon but when jugs are well used and look new I give it a thumbs up. No real plug fouling problem.

Benol works good for nitro/alcohol mix for rc stuff also.

What does a quality rebuild cost on a ktm and how many tanks per rebuild?
Old 05-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,000
Keep in mind on a 2 stroke, if you are jetted near the edge of lean on top ( max power), that an overly rich oil mix ( like 32:1 compared to 50:1) will reduce the amount of fuel in regards to the fuel to air ratio, and you will be even leaner (fuel wise) with a 32:1 premix than a 50:1 premix.

I have ran the walmart supertech oil by it self, and in various mixes with Castor 927 bean oil for years, and literally thousands of hours on PWC watercraft.

never an oil related failure, I think even the cheap oils that are made for the proper engine ( air or water cooled specification) are good these days.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,670
There IS a difference in premix. If you are water cooled you can think of running a outboard oil, but remember that outboards thermostat set at about 140 and oil that is blended for that temp may not keep rings free at higher temperatures. If you are air cooled DO NOT use outboard oil. It is ashless, and that means higher carbon build up. If watercooled you have much more choices. As far as ratio, I do not like lean ratios, I think 32 to one, 3 percent oil, is pretty optimum between smoke and power.

I avoid ethanol gas, but if you have to, oil with some castor oil in it will blend better.

Just get a quality oil.

Rod

look at Bob is the Oil guy forums
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
rustycager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Keep in mind on a 2 stroke, if you are jetted near the edge of lean on top ( max power), that an overly rich oil mix ( like 32:1 compared to 50:1) will reduce the amount of fuel in regards to the fuel to air ratio, and you will be even leaner (fuel wise) with a 32:1 premix than a 50:1 premix.

I have ran the walmart supertech oil by it self, and in various mixes with Castor 927 bean oil for years, and literally thousands of hours on PWC watercraft.

never an oil related failure, I think even the cheap oils that are made for the proper engine ( air or water cooled specification) are good these days.

The pto side eating it's self? Thanks for adding that you can oil lean. I tend to forget things when trying to explain. Kinda like the moisture draw mention in the next post. Those little rc engines are bad at that and spin at 20-50k.

rustycager screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 07:34 AM
rustycager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,441
The OP is in Canada. Not sure if Wally has the "supertech" oil, I'll look their supertech selection seems limited in Canada if compared to the USAs.

$6.00 a liter at Canadian Tire the motorcycle injection oil. Too bad they don't sell it by the gallon as they seem to do with the snowmobile injection oil, that would be $30.00 a gallon us/4L. Is that too much?? I'll look at the labels may even be "produced in Canada".

Not too many refineries in Canada producing consumer oil products and selling to the big outfits that sell them rebranded. Castrol "rebranded" oil??? Stihl premix oil sure is Castrol up here.

Nothing wrong with Castrol....I used to buy their injection oil by the case back then. Been a Castrol guy ever since.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,970
Run a quality oil as peace of mind is priceless.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
There IS a difference in premix. If you are water cooled you can think of running a outboard oil, but remember that outboards thermostat set at about 140 and oil that is blended for that temp may not keep rings free at higher temperatures. If you are air cooled DO NOT use outboard oil. It is ashless, and that means higher carbon build up. If watercooled you have much more choices. As far as ratio, I do not like lean ratios, I think 32 to one, 3 percent oil, is pretty optimum between smoke and power.

I avoid ethanol gas, but if you have to, oil with some castor oil in it will blend better.

Just get a quality oil.

Rod

look at Bob is the Oil guy forums
What he said.

I would add: Run your engine long and hard enough so it reaches design temperature, avoiding carbon deposits.

Castor oil is not cheap, but is the best protection against lubrication break down at high temperatures:

http://www.controlchat.com/castor-oil-vs-synthetic-oil/
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I've been running 50:1 cause 32:1 and even 40:1 always ran like crap, and had so much splooge out the pipe. I am not against 60:1 or lower and using a higher grade oil..but less of it.

I've used Shell snowmobile 2T oil in a pinch, it seemed to run exactly the same aside from smoking a bit more.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,970
I run 32:1 in my '80 YZ465. No spooge. Spooge is from rich jetting not oil ratios.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #13
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
I don't run 2 strokes bikes anymore but still do in small outboards and various home power tools. Oil mix is critical for longevity and not the place to skimp on. You don't need the latest greatest high zoot "super" marketed oil just make sure it's TC3 or TCW3 rated oil mixed to engine manufactures recommendations/ratio and you'll be fine. 2 strokes need rebuilding way more often than 4 strokes so don't shorten its life span by try to save money on oil. Oil is cheaper than metal.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
Ratski
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
I use Amsoil Dominator or Interecptor at 50:1 in my KTM 300. I get it for about $40 a gallon at fleet farm or from Amsoil distributors. Thats about a dollars oil in a gallon of gas. Not too bad I think.
Ratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,421
We.ve been running the Walmart marine 2t oil in everything for several years, 125-380cc race bikes in MX and scrambles. No issues, works fine at 44:1.

Riders from vet A to a couple fast B guys in their early 20s.

Save your $, the engines don't know the difference.

Oh yeah, their ATF is fine in the trans too.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote