User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,841
Expandable flip open rack idea

So I'm trying to figure out a design. I want a 12" ish wide rack with two flip out 6" expansions on either side giving me a 24" wide rack.

I'd use a 180 degree hinge, but am trying to figure out a way to lock it in place. I can use a pin system like you would have for a sliding door in your backyard but I would not want anything protruding when it was flipped onto the center portion of the rack.

This would be welded onto the top of my taildragger tank. So below the actual rear rack. It will never hold anything heavier than 5lbs. Either a wide but light camping mat, or a smaller one in solo mode or two smaller ones in 2 up mode.

This way the rest of the tailbag or trunk space can be utilized for other things since the mat would take up the most mass in packing space and would be the only thing that cannot conform to fit nooks and crannies of a bag or top case the way a tent or sleeping bag could.

So, any ideas?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
FatherX
eXiled

Oddometer: 4,721
Hey Eddie,

so this is a tail rack?

napkin sketch or anything?

what bike(s)?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post
Hey Eddie,

so this is a tail rack?

napkin sketch or anything?

what bike(s)?
Yep, just a flat rack, it would be bolted down on some risers or another flat rack support bracket so fairly universal.

No sketches but I have a couple of ideas.

It'll be mounted to the top of a taildragger auxiliary fuel cell on my concours.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
FatherX
eXiled

got it.

you could make the two sections in offset dimensions, so they would nest inside one another too.

as far as hinging it, weld some door hinges or bolt some stainless door hinges?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

I'd definitely be uses more or less standard hinges. The thing I'd trying to figure out is how to have it be solid once in the down position.

The center portion would be about 12" wide, then there would be two 6" wide flip downs. Kind of like how you get into a bar. But with a bar you have something for the table to rest on on the other side.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
FatherX
eXiled

drop latches that catch on a pin or a bolt?

or a drop latch?

could allow hardware to swivel so it could latch when folded or extended.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
FatherX
eXiled

how about long versions of these?

hinge and lock?

use 1 1/2" or 2" "L" aluminum/steel with whatever connection material (expanded mesh, perf stock, solid whatever)

Old 01-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,311
Wouldn't that cover your taillight..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Yep, just a flat rack, it would be bolted down on some risers or another flat rack support bracket so fairly universal.

It'll be mounted to the top of a taildragger auxiliary fuel cell on my concours.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #9
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

But the when it's in the upright narrow position I'd have one half of the latch in the way, I would prefer if once closed the rack would be completely or as flat as possible.

If I can go completely flat I was thinking the smallest pin setup like this, with the pin on the underside and the catch on top, which would not too obtrusive.

Another idea would be to have the 12" rack sitting right on top of a 16" rack. So when the two 6" panels swing out they would each be resting on 2" of metal.

Then I can just have the strap slots mate up for them and the strap itself would keep it in place.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Wouldn't that cover your taillight..
Yes but I have something along the lines of this below my top rack.

And can pick up a license plate led brake like for $10 at an auto parts store.

Or mount something like pic one underneath this secondary rack.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post
how about long versions of these?

hinge and lock?

use 1 1/2" or 2" "L" aluminum/steel with whatever connection material (expanded mesh, perf stock, solid whatever)

That could work with two l brackets that can slip into some slots and be held on with the tension one of those provides. But then I would have to carry those pieces, I would prefer to have it integrated.

I think the simplest solution would be to have the 12" rack sitting atop a 16" rack, then when the 6" portions flip down I slip 4 butterfly or triglide strap keepers through the strap slots fore and aft with a tightening strap underneath.

Seems to be the simplest solution. The tri glides would always be on the straps anyway.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
expandable rear rack

Instead of hinging the thing, why not offset the pieces so they can push together for closed and pull out for expanded, but still have enough on the solid tank to give structure?

Perhaps 3-5 bars for each half that attach to each other and pull out. If the rails of the rack are set so they just offset, a small clamp or even zip ties would hold it together while allowing to slide open to fill width. Or make the rods different diameters and they could slide one side into the other.

Paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #13
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 383
Use regular piano hinge and a thick metal for the rack. 1/4" aluminum, though overkill, would have enough flat surface, that, when folded out would be able to lie flat without folding down due to it's thickness. Think along the lines of putting two cardboard boxes side by side and running a piece of tape across the seam where they meet at the top. You can flip one box over on top of the other one, but (other than tape failure) you can't flip one box under the other one. Keep the tolerances tight on the aluminum plate and you can do it just fine. If you're concerned about weight, drill a bunch of 1" holes in the aluminum or something.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:48 AM   #14
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

I'm thinking of a new design.

3 12" plates stacked. 4 bolts holding them together. Lower plate with have 4 bolts with it's heads recessed in the top.

When I want to go wide I remove the two top plates, Place them back on the lower plate on either side. 6" resting on the first plate and 6" of overhang on each side.

Strap slots would all line up in whatever manner they were arranged.

Better?