Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,573
Lifeproof iPhone cases - feedback?

hi all

anyone have any experience with these: http://www.lifeproof.com/iphone-4-g2

Have just got a 4S and want to try and prolong it's life!

Cheers

S

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
SoCalJeff
In the wind

Oddometer: 211
I was really unhappy with my life proof case.

I would urge you to save the money and buy an Otterbox Deffender. Similar quality and functionality with a substantial cost savings.
SoCalJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
I have had my iPhone4 in an Otterbox Defender and it has worked great! Sure, it might be a little bulky, but it paid for itself the one time I dropped it on concrete and then bounced into gravel.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Switched from an otterbox to the lifeproof....not really impressed. The lifeproof is waterproof and it's nice to take in the shower and listen to the news while getting ready but that's its' only endearing quality as far as I'm concerned. My backdoor that covers the charging outlet snapped within 2 months of use. Very, very flimsy/thin plastic that snapped without any excessive use or force. They'll warranty it if I go to best buy and get my receipt and send it all back with a warranty form but I think I'm just going back to the otterbox. The otterbox is tough to get out of your pocket due to the grippy nature of the cover, lifeproof is easy but it also slides around everywhere in my vehicles because of it's hard, slick casing. The earplugs are a hassle to get in and out because you have to screw an adapter into the waterproof housing. It is nice and slim but I don't get the feeling it would protect near as well as the otterbox and it's beefy covering. ymmv
derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
I pre-ordered mine. Been using it heavily ever since with absolutely no problems.
Most aftermarket charge cables don't fit, that's about all I have against it.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
hrolf
neophyte

Oddometer: 238
at least their ads are good ..

slapshot an iphone into a goal at 80mph.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Crystal Springs
n00b

Oddometer: 2
This question has forced me from a long-term lurker to poster. But I have had a really negative experience with these, after initially thinking this was going to be the ultimate device for riding and my iphone.

I pre-ordered and waited months while a network of people become devoted lovers of Lifeproof before any had actually been made (look at their Facebook page to see how frenetic people got prior to the 1st production). The company even started doing their own reviews and rated their own product 5/5 stars. Anyway finally got one and sent it back as it did not seal and the headphone adapter didn't work. Got a new one and i don't use it, because;

1. Their claim of only 1.3mm thicker, false advertising IMO.

2. The plastic covered screen is impossible to see through in daylight, and you must be better than me if you can use the touch screen effectively.

3. It's not made to take on and off.

4. Unless you use Apple headphones and USB charger it wont fit any aftermarket ones.

It does however keep it water, dust and shock proof. For me it was just a case of promise so much and deliver so little. They made a really cheap case and are flogging them because they have some really good marketing and skills in the use of social media.
Crystal Springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer: 269
Ditto on Otterrbox, used the Commuter series happily for years, after purchasing a 4S upgraded to the Defender, now the wife and I both use the Defender, very happy wit their product and customer support.
PanhandleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
New company called liquiprel
Just had my iPhone coated
Supposed to make them water resistant
We'll see
t6pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
I preordered the Lifeproof and it works great. I even swam with it while shooting video - no leaks.

Tough as nails after several drops. I did, however, stop using it a couple months ago due to it's bulk as well as its ring/vibrate nub constantly shifting to vibrate, which caused my wife to think I was screening her calls when I didn't hear incoming calls.
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,728
Anyone have the Lifeproof for the iPhone 5?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Loved mine for my iPhone. I've switched to a Samsung Galaxy S3 and wish I could get one for it. The otterbox was way too huge and clunky to me. YMMV.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
i just was forced to upgrade phones after dropping my i4 in the commuter otterbox case and all it did was hold in the glass from falling on the floor it was shattered ..so seeing contract was ending in a month i upgraded to the i4s and purchesed the lifeproof case ..

while it is waterproof its also pain to use because of this feature .. any plug other than true apple cords wont fit without modifications .

to use head sets you have to use screw in adapteri loose adapter in my jacket all the time ... because regular plug wont reach or fit . also comes with a tiny plug for ear plug hole (comes with spare ) lost 1st one first time out .

you cant plug phone into any mp3 player system while in its case and its not easy to remove .

cover easily scratches so makes seeing through hard in any light

also while in case your volume is severly muted on both speaker and ring tone unless bottom port is open .

the commuter was alround easier to use and carry but in the end it didnt protect it from a 2 ft high fall in my shop land on its corner and shattered the screen .. the plastic lense cover just held in the glass ..
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
Davi5678
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
No complaints about the lifeproof case from me. Really happy with mine.
It's saved my phone from falls about five times now. Keeps my dirty kitchen hands from gunking up my phone. I haven't tested it's waterproof claims yet, and I won't be deliberately trying. Besides I never put the plug in the audio jack. Must get in the habit.
Biggest downside is the problems docking the phone, I have a dock extension in the mail from ebay, see if it helps.

Update: Dock extender arrived, it barely fits the lifeproof case, pushing the door that covers the dock back. I don't want to risk breaking the hinge.

Davi5678 screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 11:37 PM
Davi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Flounder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
My store sold roughly 35 Otter Box Defenders and 25 Lifeproof cases. People seldom realize these two cases are WAY different. The defender is dust and shock resistant. The lifeproof is WATERPROOF.

Read that again. WATERPROOF.

Along with that, there are some drawbacks, but the Lifeproof does what it says it will do with aplomb.

By the way, I let my iPhone 4s hang out at the bottom of our patio fountain for an hour. No problem. Try that with a Defender.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote